Questions from an EOS5 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

superfly75

May 11, 2009
Hi,

This is my 1st post! Looks like this forum is pretty active!

OK. I have an EOS5 film camera... Not using it a lot... Digital age is making film processing shops disappearing!

So here is my problem:

1. After long period of no use, the battery cover (this piece of rubber that also serve as holder/grabber) has become incredibly sticky! Looks like the rubber has melted or something... I had to put some plastic bag to avoid having glue all over my finger!

Is this problem known? Is it due to hot/humidity? What is the solution? Can I find new one? Better one? Where to buy? What is the price?

2. The jog button (u know the rotating button to select program) looks broken... it is still functionning quite ok, but it is not clicking smoothly between programs.... I need to rotate it exactly in front of program and it may inadvertently move from this position...

So my question? Where can I get it fixed? And for how much? Is it advisable to go to Canon Repair Center in Harbour Front?

3. Well I may just consider selling my good old EOS5 body and buy a new digital body (such as 50D or 500D)...

So my question: Is there a demand for such film camera body? How much can I expect to sell? Sell in Singapore? Or where? Or should I keep it? Is it worth keeping it considering the required maintenance...

Thanks a lot for your professional advice! I have shot amazing pics with this camera!

Alex

So my question? Where can I get it fixed? And for how much? Is it advisable to go to Canon Repair Center in Harbour Front?

3. Well I may just consider selling my good old EOS5 body and buy a new digital body (such as 50D or 500D)...

So my question: Is there a demand for such film camera body? How much can I expect to sell? Sell in Singapore? Or where? Or should I keep it? Is it worth keeping it considering the required maintenance...

It doesn't sound like an expensive problem to fix. I think nowadays cannot fetch very good price for old SLRs and doesn't exactly seem to be in demand. Buy a digital body and keep the EOS 5 as backup.

Anyway this doesn't seem quite like the correct section to post in.

1. After long period of no use, the battery cover (this piece of rubber that also serve as holder/grabber) has become incredibly sticky! Looks like the rubber has melted or something... I had to put some plastic bag to avoid having glue all over my finger!

Is this problem known? Is it due to hot/humidity? What is the solution? Can I find new one? Better one? Where to buy? What is the price?

2. The jog button (u know the rotating button to select program) looks broken... it is still functionning quite ok, but it is not clicking smoothly between programs.... I need to rotate it exactly in front of program and it may inadvertently move from this position...

Thanks a lot for your professional advice! I have shot amazing pics with this camera!

Alex

I've kept my EOS5 in a dry cabinet when not used. It hasn't encountered this sticky grip problem. You may want to go down to Canon. They may have a fix for you.

For you mode dial, it's a problem some people face if you don't depress the locking button and turn from [L] to any mode. The catch will break and you'll be left with a horribly dysfunctional mode dial. Canon also should offer a fix for this. After the fix, always remember to depress the button when going from [L] to any other mode.

I think you should repair it and keep it in case you want to shoot film next time. I doubt you'll be able to fetch much from its sale anyway.

Thanks, will ask CANON for a quote and will probably keep it (in a dry place).

I used some powder for the grip. Ok, gives a grayish colour but the sticky touch disappeared. It seems this stickiness always comes up if you don't keep the cam in dry cabinet. A well maintained EOS5 goes for about $200 or more in Classifieds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.