Questions for wedding/event photographers (pro, freelance, partime, watever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
Can I ask how long you take to deliver the photos, album(s) and/or CDs to your couples after the wedding day?

also in your answer, could u pls indicate how many weddings/roms/events u shoot on avg per month.

i'll ans first just to start the ball rolling.

delivery time : 4 weeks
frequency of weddings/roms/events per month : 4

recently i'm getting a wave of customers that are "demanding" photos within 2-3 weeks of their wedding. so i just wanna know what the "market rate" is for waiting for photos.

a CSer that got married late last year got delivered his wedding album 8 weeks after his wedding, from a prety prolific wedding photographer that i dun think posts in clubsnap. and he was quite ok with it, understanding that the photog is busy in dec (busiest month basically) and also rushing his photographer isn't gonna get him the best results.

pls share ur experiences! :)

I'm not a wedding photographer (maybe someday...) but I know someone who complains that the delay is always when the client chooses the photos they want and this sometimes takes months... is your 4 weeks inclusive of this delay? Another thing, some may deliver within 2 weeks but it depends on the quality as well... are all photos color-corrected and processed? etc... bec sometimes, those who offer fast n cheap services have to cut corners to "justify" the price and speed by giving photos direct from camera.

excellent point u raised there bro. yes i've had problems with delays becos of choosing of photos. that's why i tell the customers i do the choosing (of 300 prints) but they will still get the CD of more than that, so should they want to print something which i hadn't selected, they have it on the CD.

but to ans ur question, everyone has their style of working, whether or not they let customer choose. i'm just wondering in each person's working habit, how long does it take on avg for photos to be delivered, whether or not the customer chooses?

or i guess to make it more "fair" if a customer chooses, how long does it take from shoot to delivery MINUS the time the customer takes to choose? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: know wat i mean? ;p

Hmmm ... for wedding I normally tell him to wait for 2-3 weeks. I normally select the photos for them and gives them as what it is in the CD, no extra.

For event, try to give it within 1 week. Sometime they want within 2 days and did not even informed me in advance. But they are time it takes up to 2 weeks to deliver depends on my time schedule. Paid event 1st come 1st serve, charity event I tells them not to rush me else find some1 else ... :sweatsm:

KNIGHT ONG said:
Hmmm ... for wedding I normally tell him to wait for 2-3 weeks. I normally select the photos for them and gives them as what it is in the CD, no extra.

For event, try to give it within 1 week. Sometime they want within 2 days and did not even informed me in advance. But they are time it takes up to 2 weeks to deliver depends on my time schedule. Paid event 1st come 1st serve, charity event I tells them not to rush me else find some1 else ... :sweatsm:
wah KO that's pretty fast leh.. i used to be able to do it in 2-3 weeks too (events faster, cos usually no need to print, just PP and burn, can do all in one nite), but then i didn't shoot that much last time, so now i'm getting quite "late" in my deliveries. :(

jOhO said:
wah KO that's pretty fast leh.. i used to be able to do it in 2-3 weeks too (events faster, cos usually no need to print, just PP and burn, can do all in one nite), but then i didn't shoot that much last time, so now i'm getting quite "late" in my deliveries. :(

Hmm ... 2-3 weeks is actually not fast ... i dun add extra things.

After wedding shoot .. I see, adjust WB, EV curve and lastly hope not the sharpening. Then convert to jpeg, print and arranged it into the album and delivered. No fancy PS skills as I am pretty poor at it ... :embrass:

My events shoot needs photo, so have to print for them to select for newsletter etc etc ...

Now workloads getting more **** ... :thumbsd: dun know how long can tahan .. :bheart:

Speed is of essence to customer. I pre-select the first 40 top photos, proper ps them and deliver in 2 or 3 days.

The other 200 odd photos are out within a week. The trick is be very fast with ps workflow and good lab support. This I managed to secure.

eg. I send in 100 photos to my regular lab at 4.30pm today in various sizes - ask for normal speed of 1 day. Pop into lab at 6.30pm and it is all done. :) Fabulous service, quality, and all ready for delivery tonight.

And come to think of it, I cannot even beat my own wedding photographer many years back, IMO . He shot in film, deliver the next day after my wedding -15 rolls. In those days, no photoshop - all croppd by the eye and properly exposed by hard trg. :bigeyes:

Just follow the adage, the customer is always right. No excuses. No questions asked. He paid for it.

for studio yes 3 weeks to a month.
for actual day - 2 days without post processing
3 days with post processing.

i guess a proper workflow is essential.

I have all the templates, poems, ready, thus I know what to shoot on the actual day.

jOhO said:
Hey man, you forgotten the differences between a full timer and a freelancer. :bsmilie:

it all depends. if it was agreed with the couple dat i'll b processing n adding effects, then i'll arrange for 1 month delivery time.

otherwise if simple no frills processing then 2 to 3 weeks more than enuff for me.

its always good to iron out the details before the actual day. ;)

Wow.. so many wedding photographers, who can let me tag along and learn please? :embrass:

espn said:
Wow.. so many wedding photographers, who can let me tag along and learn please? :embrass:
strange. aren't u the 1 dat always gives others a chance to tag along for weddings? i muz b getting old. memory's failing me... :think:

EOS500N said:
strange. aren't u the 1 dat always gives others a chance to tag along for weddings? i muz b getting old. memory's failing me... :think:
Issit? :eek: where where, I dun have the skills needed for wedding photography leh :( so sad. Who needs disciples?

espn said:
Issit? :eek: where where, I dun have the skills needed for wedding photography leh :( so sad. Who needs disciples?
isit??? dats really something VERY new to me. :bigeyes: anyway better keep the thread on track. ;p

Hommie said:
Hey man, you forgotten the differences between a full timer and a freelancer. :bsmilie:
hmm.. the person i mentioned that got married and had his photos delivered 8 weeks later was a full time professional. :think:

well either way, i better hurry up. so... i'm not posting anymore, got photos to do! :bsmilie:

Hoo... Joho the pro never rest in weekends ;)

Well, I shoot FAR fewer weddings but I deliver FAR FAR faster than you :bsmilie: My turnover time is 6 hours to finish processing all the RAW files and packed in DVD. Then next day send to lab for processing. In fact for all my assignments, especially those not requiring prints, I've never dragged for more than 2 days. Lately I like to deliver by post, saving the trouble of arranging a meeting. If you have too many assignments to cover, I can certainly be helpful :bsmilie: *paying commission* if you like :p

tomshen said:
Well, I shoot FAR fewer weddings but I deliver FAR FAR faster than you :bsmilie: My turnover time is 6 hours to finish processing all the RAW files and packed in DVD. Then next day send to lab for processing. In fact for all my assignments, especially those not requiring prints, I've never dragged for more than 2 days. Lately I like to deliver by post, saving the trouble of arranging a meeting. If you have too many assignments to cover, I can certainly be helpful :bsmilie: *paying commission* if you like
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wah, set the standard for all to follow. Panting, Panting behind time already following the roadrunner...

tomshen said:
Hoo... Joho the pro never rest in weekends ;)

Well, I shoot FAR fewer weddings but I deliver FAR FAR faster than you :bsmilie:

That's the reason why you are far far faster than JOhO. The more assignments you have, the longer you have to process. Somedays are spent resting by the photographer/videographer coz covering wedding every other day takes a terrible toll on the body. I know of the very popular wedding Photographer Sam Wong told me that his peak months could be anything from 13 to 20 wedding assignment days in a month and his clients have to wait more than a month(sometimes even two for his work).

The most a videographer can take is not more than five a month or else the clients will start complaining. I have survived the experiences of six a month but almost died! :bsmilie:

hehe .... that PROFESSIONAL photographer so good business, took 8 week to deliver the photo? .... he must be no time to edit nice nice photo .... then the QC will also dropping hor ? ;p
If i am that couple, need to wait 8 weeks? i will SIAN liao lor .... :bheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.