Questions abt 828

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCL

Jan 30, 2002
NE
Visit site
Hi all

Am looking at 828 as a possible upgrade from my existing Fuji S602Z. Also looking at other prosumer options including Minolta A1, Fuji S7000, Pro1 ... some questions hope 828 owners can enlighten me:

1) Can 828 use third party auto flash like vivitar 285hv? in manual mode I suppose? Any other third party party TTL flash options? Est cost?
2) Can 828 record video at 640x480 at 30fps in CF card (not MD or MS)? Anybody tried?

HOCL said:
Hi all

Am looking at 828 as a possible upgrade from my existing Fuji S602Z. Also looking at other prosumer options including Minolta A1, Fuji S7000, Pro1 ... some questions hope 828 owners can enlighten me:

1) Can 828 use third party auto flash like vivitar 285hv? in manual mode I suppose? Any other third party party TTL flash options? Est cost?
2) Can 828 record video at 640x480 at 30fps in CF card (not MD or MS)? Anybody tried?

1) 828 can support normal hotshoe flash, but requires manual mode like you mentioned.

2) 828 cannot record 30fps in CF card. This is documented. The 30fps selection is not available when 828 detects the media.

pianodancer said:
2) 828 cannot record 30fps in CF card. This is documented. The 30fps selection is not available when 828 detects the media.

Bull. What page of the manual says this? I record 30fps/640/fine regularly on my 1G micro drive. It also works on high speed (40X) CF cards. Also, you can only record in this mode to MSPro sticks not the regular ones.

40x ... have you tried on other lower speed CF cards? I asked becos my CFs are at most 32X I think ... and this 30fps/640x480 video mode is impt consideration for me ...

art2d2 said:
Some one here manage to do a 640x480 30fps with a 16x Lexar CF.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=7345952

Not sure whether its true or not.

Hi dementate,

Can you confirm which 40x CF can do 640x480 30fps video on the F828 ?
I'm not sure 16X would work, but I've seen 40X cards work, I once used a Lexar, can't remember what brand my friend was using the other times...

djork said:
i cannot get it to record 30fps on my sandisk ultra II. any idea what speed is that ultra II..
Ultra II is 60X

Hmm..i have no problem with doing that on MagicStor 2.2GB CF card..i dunno wat speed that is though..anyone tell me how to check the speed? coz its not stated on the packaging..

trevorise said:
Hmm..i have no problem with doing that on MagicStor 2.2GB CF card..i dunno wat speed that is though..anyone tell me how to check the speed? coz its not stated on the packaging..

Your 2.2 GB is CF solid state or microdrive ? If microdrive of then course can lah.

dementate said:
Bull. What page of the manual says this?

Hi dementate,

Looks like you are new on CS. You do not need to use such language in the thread. Besides if PianoDancer is wrong, just state the fact more gentlemenly. For your info, PianoDancer happen to be a nice person. So we hope you can be a little more polite.

Admin and Mods, pls take note. Thanks!

Hi Godzilla Invades,
Thanks for your kind comments.

To answer demante's question, under the 'Shooting Movies' section on page 100 of the electronic manual (not sure if it's the same as the paper manual, you can download from Sony's website), it clearly states that
"The 640 Fine image size can be used only when you record the image into the Memory Stick PRO or Microdrive."

I also tried on my Kingston CF. Although the menu allows you to select 640 Fine, once you exit the menu, the screen will blink with a warning message - Cannot record on 640 Fine mode.

I believe that the F828 software is not smart enough to decide whether the CF is fast enough to record 640 Fine mode. All it does is to detect whether it is a microdrive or MS PRO. If not, Sony would have informed user that as long as the CF, MD or MS PRO can write x-times speed, then you can use 640 Fine mode.

But I may be wrong, and that's what this forum is for: to share information for the benefit of all members.

FYI a 1GB microdrive is not a CF card

dementate said:
Bull. What page of the manual says this? I record 30fps/640/fine regularly on my 1G micro drive. It also works on high speed (40X) CF cards. Also, you can only record in this mode to MSPro sticks not the regular ones.

i guess it's the firmware's problem? i remember dpreview doing a data test on lexar WA card, ultra II and MS pro inside the F828 review.. almost similar results. my guess is the ultra II might be able to record (don't remember about the lexar one though), just that the firmware 'thinks' it's slow? hmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.