Questions about wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I was always going to have to reply to this thread with a subject heading like that wasn't I?

Chronologically:

[1] Digital shot presentation. Completely depends on the client and what they're willing to pay, and what they want obviously. My list of options tends to be no digital negs, standard presentation (cheapest), low res digital files (web), with or without standard presentation, through to full res digital files, with or without standard presentation (most expensive).

[2] The market price depends on so many factors, and most of it is common sense. You can't just ask, what's the market price of a digital camera. You need to know if you're after a point and shoot, digital SLR, medium format single shot back, larger format scanning back? Resolution? Similarly, you need to ask yourself, how good are my photographs, what kind of service can I provide, who are my clients, can be clients afford to pay, what sector of the market am I planning to target?

[3] How many shots. Completely depends on your style. Should be completely independent of whether the chosen format is digital or film. Of course, for some people, the chosen format dictates their shooting style.

[4] See below.

[5] Keeping negs and returning negs is a sticky issue and depends on the market. In SG, almost all amateurs AFAIK return negs, thereby giving away their copyright in the process. Over here if you did that you'd be murdered by quite a few people.

[6] Agree with go to a good lab. Regardless of whether you're diging or not.

[7] It's not just if a flash blows up at a wedding. In addition to that, it's if the flash blows up at the wedding, you need to be able to work to your same standard with either no backup, or one backup, or two backups (and the cost associated with that).

[8] Agree on not dropping your rates down. Be good enough, not cheap enough.

[9] Not sure if there's a need to establish your name, but you need experience so you don't muck things up. And you also need a good book. Both of which can be conveniently got by working (usually for free hence no responsibility) as a second photographer to a pro at several weddings.

[10] Yes certainly I ask my clients preferences. As with any other business, the customer is always right. Alternatively, you can also just prepare a stock package on the assumption that if the clients don't like it, they won't come to you. But you should always be prepared to listen. I do a bit too much listening myself at times... but that's a different topic for a different day.

[11] Generally, no RAW.

[12] Inspiration. Look at lots of wedding pictures. *Good* wedding pictures.

[13] Agree that passion should shine through, all other things being equal.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Jed
Oh I was always going to have to reply to this thread with a subject heading like that wasn't I?
Jed, thx thx, I know u will speak out, sooner or later:)

For me the top priority at present is how to create good shots for my friends/clients, rather than earning money. But actually my friend already rewarded me a "hong bao":D That was his kindness as a friend, not what I wanted though. On the other hand, I am afraid sooner or later I will consider charging for my service if I keep investing more and more equipment as well as passion, just making this expensive hobby sustainable. Once again, I have carefully studied my failure and success from this very first assignment, and I believe my next assignment could be better accomplished, hopefully!

Regards,
Tom

I'm a D60 newbie with one 28-105 lense. I'm going to shoot a wedding as a spare/backup photographer next weekend..:). I will only be covering th church and wedding dinner.

Strangely they don't have a pro for the official photographer but have a video camera man.:dunno:

In any case, care to share your tips (1st timer, a bit nervous)? I'm curious on the following :

(a) D60 settings and mode u predominately shoot in.
(b) What type of lense u use (church and dinner of course different right?)
(c) Useage of flash and where? Perheps I should just dial up the ISO?

Going to get a Microdrive this weekend.

Originally posted by Java_Guru
I'm a D60 newbie with one 28-105 lense. I'm going to shoot a wedding as a spare/backup photographer next weekend..:). I will only be covering th church and wedding dinner.

Strangely they don't have a pro for the official photographer but have a video camera man.:dunno:

In any case, care to share your tips (1st timer, a bit nervous)? I'm curious on the following :

(a) D60 settings and mode u predominately shoot in.
(b) What type of lense u use (church and dinner of course different right?)
(c) Useage of flash and where? Perheps I should just dial up the ISO?

Going to get a Microdrive this weekend.
Short answers for your setting question, may not apply to you though:
1. outdoor: f5.6~8 + fill-in flash -1 + a bit exposure/flash compensation will give u good results. Be careful when subject is strongly backlit;
2. Indoor small room: M mode ISO 100, f5.6, 1/60s, bounce ceiling
flash +1~+2 give u very natural bounce flash effect;
3. Indoor large room/high ceiling: Tv 1/60s or higher, exposure compensation -1~-1/3, ISO 400/800, fill-in flash with omnibounce 45~70 degree -1~ +1 give u good exposure, but need to test for the enviornment;
4. Always watch your ISO/shutter speed and aperture (for DOF). u will have a hard time if u cannot adjust to the change of light fastly. Every minute is precious.

Just my 2c.

to add another 2cts:

1) when using bounce flash, try to fill in the shadows under the eyes, otherwise your subjects will look like panda. you can do this by attaching a white card behind the flashhead, to reflect some of the flash onto the faces. Or, you can use the Metz 54MZ3 flash which has a built-in secondary reflector.

2) i seldom use ISO100, especially for flash. normally i use ISO200 or 400, this saves flash power, important if you have a long and tight program. D60 images are clean enuff at this range IMO.

3) to emphasize something Tom has said, always check your ISO and exposure settings. very very important.

Thx for all the advice.

I've got a 420EX and a self made bounce card to do my fill-in flash. :)

BTW, do u shoot in single or continuous drive mode? Even with flash.

I use continuous mode, not to fire off multiple shots at max speed... but to retain exposure settings for quick successive shots, by using the shutter half-release method. Even with flash.

Hi Guys,

just came back from my shoot. Didn't do too well.

(i) Church. Used P-mode which had a problem becoz shutter would sometimes become too slow and result in blurring. <sigh> Lots of movement too.

(ii) Wedding dinner(orange-yellow light). Used Tv-mode to shoot. Pictures almost all sharp with ISO 800 and some quite nice. But the flash coloring had some issues. Using AWB is too blue and Flash setting a bit too orange. What Flash setting do u use on your camera to compensate?

Also in Tv-mode, my apeture was blinking at 3.5 most of the time but I ignored and proceed to shoot. Pictures quite good and sharp.

Need your input experts.

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Hi Guys,

just came back from my shoot. Didn't do too well.

(i) Church. Used P-mode which had a problem becoz shutter would sometimes become too slow and result in blurring. <sigh> Lots of movement too.

(ii) Wedding dinner(orange-yellow light). Used Tv-mode to shoot. Pictures almost all sharp with ISO 800 and some quite nice. But the flash coloring had some issues. Using AWB is too blue and Flash setting a bit too orange. What Flash setting do u use on your camera to compensate?

Also in Tv-mode, my apeture was blinking at 3.5 most of the time but I ignored and proceed to shoot. Pictures quite good and sharp.

Need your input experts.

Personal tips (You guys better pay me for this :) ) Standard disclaimer applies. Usage of these tips constitutes an agreement that, should a wedding event shoot turn out to be a total disaster after using the following tips, liability is therefore limited to me saying "too bad". :)

1. Use at least ISO 400 (800 preferred) when indoors. This will allow you to balance the flash and ambient exposure better.

2. Use f/4 to f/5.6. if your lens is up to it, fully open. This allows you to use DoF to blur out distracting backgrounds etc. Break this rule when shooting groupshots - stop down to 5.6-8.

3. Use manual mode and the lowest shutter speed you can comfortably hand hold, and the aperture chosen in [3]. The closer you can get to the ambient, the better. This will allow you to balance the flash and ambient exposure. I personally use 1/30 to 1/60 at f/5.6.

4. Forget the Tv, Av and P modes when indoors. the lighting is usually the same throughout. Use M.

5. Bounced flash - 75° upwards with bounce card of at least 5 x 7". Creates nice and even lighting effect. For my system, I have tested that it does not require any compensation. Your mileage may vary.

6. For canon systems, DO NOT focus then recompose when shooting with flash. Use Flash Exposure Lock. For Nikon systems, you're spared this. :devil:

7. If you can don't use flash at all, so be it. :)

8. If shooting film, go to a good lab. PLEASE. Your client/friend will thank you for that.

Regards
CK

CK,

You're are using a F100 rite.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.