Questions about tripods....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverIce

Aug 16, 2008
I wanted to get a tripod... I scale down my choices to a few of Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods.... But i got some things which i hope to know before i decide which to get..

1) Some models with same features comes with 3 sections and 4 sections, i know 4 sections are shorter when they are closed, tat is the pros of it.... But are 4 sections tripods as stable as 3 sections tripods??
1st of the factor is the 4th sections looks really slim, looks not stable...
2nd factor is coz for most of the things, more joints = less stable or more vibration, i wish to know is it the same case for tripods?
If there is a difference, is the difference a lot?

2) Lets say my heaviest setup is ard 3.5kg or 3.8kg.... Is a tripod which maxload is 5kg safe enough?

I appreciate any useful replies or point of views... Tks in advance..

you have to understand the head also has a max load.

Hi. Wah, your questions very difficult to answer leh 'cos I'm not a Tripod expert/salesman.

I can only share with you my setup. I have a Manfrotto (sorry don't have model no. with me), 4 section tripod with a ball joint head. I'm very happy with it and the 4 leg sections allow me to go low. Stability was not an issue with my typical camera and lens setup of 3.5kg. I don't think Gitzo is very far different from Manf.

Of course if money is not too much of an issue and you do not mind carrying a large tripod around, then you should go with the best and sturdiest tripod; any ways to reduce vibration and increase stability are worth paying for. I have seen lens and camera toppled over before (not pretty!).

In any case, you'll probably end up with a fat & sturdy tripod, and probably another lightweight one for travel use.

Happy shooting.

4 section tripods have theoretically thinner legs and more joints and theoretically are less stable than the 3 section ones. But i doubt it is too much of an issue for a good tripod maker, and working it within the specifications of that tripod provided. I think it is more of the suitability of form since a 4 section can fold smaller dimensions for intended transport. Some prefer the 3 section for faster setup

Ryan

Last edited:
Hi. Wah, your questions very difficult to answer leh 'cos I'm not a Tripod expert/salesman.

I can only share with you my setup. I have a Manfrotto (sorry don't have model no. with me), 4 section tripod with a ball joint head. I'm very happy with it and the 4 leg sections allow me to go low. Stability was not an issue with my typical camera and lens setup of 3.5kg. I don't think Gitzo is very far different from Manf.

Of course if money is not too much of an issue and you do not mind carrying a large tripod around, then you should go with the best and sturdiest tripod; any ways to reduce vibration and increase stability are worth paying for. I have seen lens and camera toppled over before (not pretty!).

In any case, you'll probably end up with a fat & sturdy tripod, and probably another lightweight one for travel use.

Happy shooting.

Ya, i wish to get a light one, carbon fiber is what im getting.. Just considering abt 3 sections or 4 sections now.. For manfrotto it will be 190CXpro3 or 190CXpro4, only worry is the max load 5kg... If im getting more maxload tripods, mostly i will get gitzo as the 055CXPRO3 and 055CXpro4 is too heavy for my liking.. Tks for sharing of yr setup...

4 section tripods have theoretically thinner legs and more joints and theoretically are less stable than the 3 section ones. But i doubt it is too much of an issue for a good tripod maker, and working it within the specifications of that tripod provided. I think it is more of the suitability of form since a 4 section can fold smaller dimensions for intended transport. Some prefer the 3 section for faster setup

Ryan

Ya, i also thought so tat a gd tripod maker shouldnt have too much problems with their 4 sections too... So u mean 3.5-3.8kg should be ok on a maxload 5kg tripod?

4 sections is really gd for easy transport, 3 sections faster setup is nice too.. Got to make a decision...:confused:

Any other point of views?

4 section tripods can be as stable as a 3-section when the last section is not opened up. It may be a little shorter with the last section retracted but stability should be no worse than a 3-section tripods. Unless I am wrong abt this ...

Hey there,

Here's my 2 cents worth....

Both Gitzo and Manfrotto have pretty good tripods and they both have excellent websites that help you choose.

I'd suggest that you :-

1. List down your top 3 priorities
2. Run these conditions by the Gitzo and Manfrotto's websites' configurator see what they come back with
3. Pick the top 2 models on each brand
4. Go to the shops and compare these 4 physically and also with the prices offered.
5. Decide and splurge !

For your specific questions, personally, I'd think that the 3 or 4 sectioned tripod are both ok in terms of stability, cos of the design. They might have different max load but I am assuming. 4 sectioned tripods are shorter when retracted and therefore easier to carry around, but the downside is that you have 1 more section per leg to extend when you're setting them up.

For the 3.8kg maxload question, the 5 kg should be fine. Look out for whether the head design slacks if it's near the maxload though : meaning, the head starts to slowly droop.....

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.