Questions about S602Z and batteries..


Status
Not open for further replies.

enivre

New Member
Nov 7, 2002
1,958
0
0
36
www.ervinelin.com
#1
Hi,

I'm pretty new to photography and I need a little help..

Okay stupid question but I'm a newbie... anyway.. I've got myself a S602 with the lens adapter and filters, but I realised that the original lens cap does not fit onto the filters.. so what can I do?

Secondly, is there such a thing as a cable release for the 602? Coz I don't think it's possible not to shake the camera when I'm taking a photo even if it's on a tripod... I asked Cathay but they say there's no stock or no such thing.. something to that extent..

Lastly, I've got 4 Sanyo 1850 batteries but the charger at Mustafa was out of stock... I was wondering if I can use my GP PowerbankII charger to charge the Sanyos? Will they spoil my batts?

Thanks a lot guys,
Ervine Lin
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#2
Originally posted by enivre
Hi,

I'm pretty new to photography and I need a little help..

Okay stupid question but I'm a newbie... anyway.. I've got myself a S602 with the lens adapter and filters, but I realised that the original lens cap does not fit onto the filters.. so what can I do?

Secondly, is there such a thing as a cable release for the 602? Coz I don't think it's possible not to shake the camera when I'm taking a photo even if it's on a tripod... I asked Cathay but they say there's no stock or no such thing.. something to that extent..

Lastly, I've got 4 Sanyo 1850 batteries but the charger at Mustafa was out of stock... I was wondering if I can use my GP PowerbankII charger to charge the Sanyos? Will they spoil my batts?

Thanks a lot guys,
Ervine Lin
Welcome! Maybe I can help a bit:

1) Yes, the original lens cap will not fit. You need to get a separate one. Places like Fotoguide or Alan Photo got sell. The size of the cap will depends on what is your lens adpater's thread size.

2) I do not think there's a cable release for S602. You can, instead use the self-timer (2 or 10 secs) mode to prevent handshake.

3) Any of those NiMH charger can be used to charge the sanyos. Just that if the charger is a intelligent one (not timer-based), it would be better as in prolonging the batts' lifespan
 

pit

New Member
Mar 12, 2002
128
0
0
#3
Congrats on your purchase. For the lens cap, you can purchase a len caps based on your filter size e.g. 52mm. You'll probably need a retaining string (dunno what you call that).

There is no cable release available except "home made" ones. I Use the 2 sec timer for that (on the tripod). The shift AEL makes it a jiffy to switch to that mode. But still a pain coz you gotta do it for every shot.

I use an Energizer charger for my 1750 Olympus NiMh and GP 1800 NiMh batteries. I find that it charges better than my original Olympus charger. But your config - I'm not too sure. I think it should be fine.

Hope this helps.
 

enivre

New Member
Nov 7, 2002
1,958
0
0
36
www.ervinelin.com
#6
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome... good to be part of the ClubSnap as well as the 602 family...

Okay I'll go hunt for the cap over the weekend or something..

Oh by the way, when I was asking around for a +4 close up filter the guy at 3:16 told me there's really no need to get one because my camera already has super macro mode... is this true? Coz I tried to snap a photo of an insect but I can't get as close as what some of the others are capable of (filling the entire picture frame with the insect).. only way is to use the digital zoom, even then it won't get close enough...

Thanks again..
Ervine Lin
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#7
Originally posted by enivre

Oh by the way, when I was asking around for a +4 close up filter the guy at 3:16 told me there's really no need to get one because my camera already has super macro mode... is this true? Coz I tried to snap a photo of an insect but I can't get as close as what some of the others are capable of (filling the entire picture frame with the insect).. only way is to use the digital zoom, even then it won't get close enough...

Thanks again..
Ervine Lin
Yup, you'll need to get one or two close-up filters to take tiny objects like insects. The built-in macro mode isn't useful at all, unless you're taking close-up of subjects that are still, such as flowers, where your cam is 1-2cm away from it.

A +4 filter costs around $12-14.
 

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#8
Originally posted by enivre
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome... good to be part of the ClubSnap as well as the 602 family...

Okay I'll go hunt for the cap over the weekend or something..

Oh by the way, when I was asking around for a +4 close up filter the guy at 3:16 told me there's really no need to get one because my camera already has super macro mode... is this true? Coz I tried to snap a photo of an insect but I can't get as close as what some of the others are capable of (filling the entire picture frame with the insect).. only way is to use the digital zoom, even then it won't get close enough...

Thanks again..
Ervine Lin
Welcome to Clubsnap, as well as the S602 family. :D

Anyway, here is a tip. try not to use digital zoom when you do macro shots. ;)

Happy shooting and do some postings! :)
 

enivre

New Member
Nov 7, 2002
1,958
0
0
36
www.ervinelin.com
#9
Originally posted by azone

Yup, you'll need to get one or two close-up filters to take tiny objects like insects. The built-in macro mode isn't useful at all, unless you're taking close-up of subjects that are still, such as flowers, where your cam is 1-2cm away from it.
Yar that was I figured but that guy convinced me otherwise, okay lor... nevermind I'll go get one over the weekend..

Oh why do you need more than one close up filter? Stack them up?

Also, I've visited your insect gallery (very impressive) and I'm wondering what u mean when u put Macro focus as OFF... u mean u focus manually? Oh and how do you get so close to the insects, still have the flash and do so without the shadow of your lens being cast? External flash?

Sorry ah... so many questions.. hehe..

THanks thanks..
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#10
Originally posted by enivre


Yar that was I figured but that guy convinced me otherwise, okay lor... nevermind I'll go get one over the weekend..

Oh why do you need more than one close up filter? Stack them up?

Also, I've visited your insect gallery (very impressive) and I'm wondering what u mean when u put Macro focus as OFF... u mean u focus manually? Oh and how do you get so close to the insects, still have the flash and do so without the shadow of your lens being cast? External flash?

Sorry ah... so many questions.. hehe..

THanks thanks..
Yes, i usually stacked 2 of them to achieve better magnification.

Thanks. Oh, Macro mode is off all the while coz i need to use the full optical zoom when taking insects. When your macro or supermacro is on, you cannot zoom much or at all respectively. And yes, i'm using external flash. Haha, as for why i can get so close, well, some insects are not so afraid of ppl you see. :)
 

darkness

New Member
Aug 11, 2002
689
0
0
39
Visit site
#11
Originally posted by malkw
You can get a len cap (52mm) ard $5-6 from CP
I got mine from Ruby for $3... :D

enivre, if you have any questions abt S602 can ask wolfgang, he's our unofficial S602 evangelist... :thumbsup:
 

enivre

New Member
Nov 7, 2002
1,958
0
0
36
www.ervinelin.com
#12
Okie think I got it now...

Two last questions, why use 2 x +4 when u can use 1 x +8, Is there a reason for doing so? And, using the close up lens without setting the camera in Macro mode, the AF won't screw up?

Eh where's Ruby?

Thanks again,
Ervine Lin
 

chenwei

New Member
Sep 6, 2002
1,315
0
0
Singapore
#13
Originally posted by enivre
Okie think I got it now...

Two last questions, why use 2 x +4 when u can use 1 x +8, Is there a reason for doing so? And, using the close up lens without setting the camera in Macro mode, the AF won't screw up?

Eh where's Ruby?

Thanks again,
Ervine Lin
heheee... welcome to 602 family...

it's up to your choice, the reason i use 2x +4 is because i find sometimes i just need +4, it's main for flexible. imagine u can use either +4 or +8, where 1x +8 is die die +8....

using close up filter w/o macro mode u will able to focus in certain distance (very short and small distance, try search old post and there were discussion on that) ;)
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#14
Originally posted by enivre
Okie think I got it now...

Two last questions, why use 2 x +4 when u can use 1 x +8, Is there a reason for doing so? And, using the close up lens without setting the camera in Macro mode, the AF won't screw up?
Simple, coz there is no +8 available! HOYA only has Close-up filter with +1, +2, +3, +4 and +10 diopter rating. Chenwei is also right in saying that you may only need a +4 in certain situations.

Nope, AF generally works the same, unless in really really low-light conditions, where it may have problem focusing even without the filters.
 

darkness

New Member
Aug 11, 2002
689
0
0
39
Visit site
#15
Originally posted by enivre
And, using the close up lens without setting the camera in Macro mode, the AF won't screw up?

Eh where's Ruby?
I suggest if you buy a close-up filter, play with it at home first *before* you go for any photoshoot, don't end up like me dunno how to use the filter... :embrass:

Ruby is at Peninsula Shopping Centre, on the 1st floor. You should see it easily if you exit Peninsula Plaza walking in Peninsula Shopping Centre direction.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom