Questions about Nikon Speedlight SB-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudpool

Apr 30, 2002
Lakeside & Suzhou-China
I'm considering of buying a 3rd hand SB-24. Does anyone know about it? I think the model pretty old, can't find much about it on the internet. The most informative one that I can find is

http://www.stahlbrandt.com/html/camera/sb-24.html

I have a F65, which I'm worried if it's compatible with SB-24. Furthermore the SB-24 doesn't some newer functions such as red eye reduction, but in Nikon's range of speedlights, only SB-28 and SB-27 (and maybe SB-80DX) supports red eye reduction. Is it important to have red eye reduction?

And I wonder if multi-sensor Balanced fill-flash, matrix balanced fill-flash and slow sync is supported too. But I think slow sync depends on the body right?

Another consideration is if it's compatible to the more modern nikon equipments. Issit power hungry btw... Any pointers?? Anyone used it before?? :dunno:

Any advice is greatly appreciated :embrass:

Generations of photographers got away without using red-eye reduction however it's useful if you have it.

The SB-24 has rear curtain synch built in to the flash unit so it may well work with the F65.

3D matrix flash should be possible though I'm not 100% sure. TTL will work fine.

Power wise it's a tad heavier on power than the later flash units.

My recommendation - but current generation Speedlight as used flash units can be an iffy purchase.

Maybe you should check the manual of your F65, to see if it does use the red eye reduction lamp on SB28 or not. My memory tells me that it uses the light (AF asist lamp) from the camera itself, even if you mount an external flash onto it. Red eye reduction lamp is same as the AF assist lamp on F65. If this is true, then you don't need to have a flash with red eye reduction lamp, and I suspect the SB24 will still works well.

Just my thoughts...might be wrong...you need to test/check out yourself.

Originally posted by Ian
My recommendation - but current generation Speedlight as used flash units can be an iffy purchase. [/B]

Sorry I don't get you Ian. Do you recommend it? And do you mean current generation speedlights are doubtful (have to look for the meaning of iffy in the dictionary ;p ) btw, thanks for the advice, ppl from Nikon Singapore told me matrix metering works, the more advanced metering system however doesn't.

Just got an offer for a SB-26 for $380 (neg) and SB-27 (haven't decided on the price yet) hm..... :thumbsup:? :thumbsd:? :dunno:

Budget is tight, getting a hdd some more coz I've tried being faithful to my 6Gb Seagate, but it doesn't work out. Some more I'm busy figuring out what to propose for my FYP in NUS :cry: have to put this off for the time being.

And thanks a million to Kho King too. I'll go back and check it out.

forget about the hdd, it's either the speedlight or nothing!!! Going back to my faithful hdd :p Photography banzai!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rbounce:

Originally posted by Mudpool

Sorry I don't get you Ian. Do you recommend it? And do you mean current generation speedlights are doubtful (have to look for the meaning of iffy in the dictionary ;p ) btw, thanks for the advice, ppl from Nikon Singapore told me matrix metering works, the more advanced metering system however doesn't.

Ok what I mean is that used flash gear is often worn out or close to it. I've seen a lot of well worn flash tubes for example, and they cost quite a lot to replace.

You are far better off saving a couple of hundred more than the SB-26 and getting a new SB28 or SB27 etc.

Kho King you're right, just checked on the red eye reduction function, if the flash doesn't support, my cam will fire from the AF-assist light. Thanks for the tip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.