questions about monopod.

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
I am now currently shooting for an organisation on project basis for some marathon events. Looks like it is time for me to invest on a monopod (which I dun have!) as I find my hands very cramp holding my equipments after the shoot.

Just wondering, can I get a basic monopod (looking at Manfrotto 390 series) which fits my budget. And reuse the G-10 ballhead from my Sirui T1204 tripod which so far serves me well? Or should I get another ballhead? Though I will not be using my monopod that often.

Just use the same ballhead, that's what I do personally.

I am now currently shooting for an organisation on project basis for some marathon events. Looks like it is time for me to invest on a monopod (which I dun have!) as I find my hands very cramp holding my equipments after the shoot.

Just wondering, can I get a basic monopod (looking at Manfrotto 390 series) which fits my budget. And reuse the G-10 ballhead from my Sirui T1204 tripod which so far serves me well? Or should I get another ballhead? Though I will not be using my monopod that often.

If you are not using very often then just use the ballhead that you have, if you use both your tripod and monopod regularly then get a new one as the screwing and unscrewing of the ballhead might wear out the threads

A single tilt head might work better. All you need is to able tilt from landscape to portrait orientation fast. A ball head is a hassle to handle on a monopod especially when you are trying to work fast. You can get up down tilt just by leaning forward and back. Look at the Manfrotto 234 tilt head. They are quite cheap. If you have more budget, can also look at the Manfrotto monopod with quick lever, just one press and you can adjust height in one motion.

i just bought a Manfrotto Professional 4-section monopod 681B.

As i am using Markins camera plates fixed on my both my Nikon DSLRs, i am planning to get a Joby ballhead X to be permanently fixed to my monopod.

Using this set-up mainly for macro shoot.

A single tilt head might work better. All you need is to able tilt from landscape to portrait orientation fast. A ball head is a hassle to handle on a monopod especially when you are trying to work fast. You can get up down tilt just by leaning forward and back. Look at the Manfrotto 234 tilt head. They are quite cheap. If you have more budget, can also look at the Manfrotto monopod with quick lever, just one press and you can adjust height in one motion.

Wow the head is exactly what I need, CP stock this right? I'm going to have a look soon.

as the guy before said just use the same ballhead

thanks for the advice!

yoz! once u check out can also let me know how much cp is selling? :)

Sure, no problem! If you happen to be there before me, let me know too :) I just checked Adorama, seems like its around USD18+

You might want to see the Sirui monopods at TK as well, CF one only selling for $99, very sturdy. I use that for my macro.

Wow the head is exactly what I need, CP stock this right? I'm going to have a look soon.

yoz! once u check out can also let me know how much cp is selling? :)

IIRC the 234 head at CP cost around 40 or 45. The 234rc2 (with quick release) is 55-60 I think.

Last edited:
TS, you might want to see this also

[vid]LOFkCZ6TtGQ[/vid]

spree86 said:
Sure, no problem! If you happen to be there before me, let me know too :) I just checked Adorama, seems like its around USD18+

You might want to see the Sirui monopods at TK as well, CF one only selling for $99, very sturdy. I use that for my macro.

BBB outing again...? :sweatsm: