Questions about Minolta Dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerofour

Mar 9, 2004
SG
Erm... This is my 3nd time using DSLR because use to use friend's nikon and canon but now got myselfa KM5D so alot of things are different.

Just want to know, can i shoot with my lcd screen like A80, because keep peaking at that small hole face will cramp? :bsmilie:

I know this is abit silly but anyone can enlighten me?

zerofour said:
Erm... This is my 3nd time using DSLR because use to use friend's nikon and canon but now got myselfa KM5D so alot of things are different.

Just want to know, can i shoot with my lcd screen like A80, because keep peaking at that small hole face will cramp? :bsmilie:

KM5D cant shoot with lcd.

zerofour said:

I think the more we say, the more blur u might get! U can join us for any outing to get to know more about the camera from any of us.
;p

I think u also notice that why the dam DSLR is more heavier to carry about right? haha:bsmilie:

GENO said:
I think the more we say, the more blur u might get! U can join us for any outing to get to know more about the camera from any of us.
;p

I think u also notice that why the dam DSLR is more heavier to carry about right? haha:bsmilie:

Okie Sure! Will join you guys once i can clear my project hahaha... You all share some tips on photography i can share my creative design with you guys :)

so when is the latest, izzit the zoo after new year?

zerofour said:
Okie Sure! Will join you guys once i can clear my project hahaha... You all share some tips on photography i can share my creative design with you guys :)

so when is the latest, izzit the zoo after new year?

yap, but i not sure still got place anot for the free ticket? maybe someone might not be able to come on that day loh, dont waste the ticket!U can PM don..

Or if you decide to go somewhere in particular to shoot, just holler/post and you never know a few of us could just join you for a shoot. Not necessary must wait till zoo outing only. Or just go down for the monthly KMOS meetings.

SLR designs are inherently different from that of PnS or Prosumers. Think of light refraction principle where the light enters the lens, hits a mirror, goes up, hit the mirror on the roof and the light goes thru the viewfinder. Basically What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG).

jsbn said:
SLR designs are inherently different from that of PnS or Prosumers. Think of light refraction principle where the light enters the lens, hits a mirror, goes up, hit the mirror on the roof and the light goes thru the viewfinder. Basically What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG).

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

PnS is WYSIWYG, SLR is not... most SLR is not 100% viewfinder, so what you see is only the how many percent, where as the PnS LCD is the 100% view of the picture before the shutter is hit... (technically, all Digital PnS viewfinder can literally throw away)

then, on PnS, the image is already optimised to WYSIWYG, like shutter speed, aperture adjustment all done, so u just snap, pic will be exactly the same... for DSLR we see thru the viewfinder, we rely on the metering, if the metering play punk, so is your image, and what you see sometimes may not be what you want... over expose, or under expose is common... unless u fully grasp the metering... simple illustration is the spot meter... if u see nice, meter on black or white, the picture will be overexpose or underexpose... or shoot a scenery and have over 75% white on average, metering also got problem.

After taking all ur metering, knowledge and exposure into account it WILL be WYSIWYG.

jsbn is correct. SLR is closer to WYSIWG than P&S. Due to the viewfinder and lens on different planes in P&S, P&S is prone to parallex error especially if subject is proximal to camera. If lens in P&S is not focused, you wouldn't know cos you are viewing from the viewfinder. But if you are using SLR, you'll see the difference immediately if lens is strewn with fungus, out of focus etc. This is what it means by WYSIWG.

What DCA mentioned about frame coverage in SLR is simply framing. Pro bodies cover 100%, non-Pro bodies cover anywhere from 95% to 70% of frame. The user will thus have to compensate accordinly. This will be mentioned in the specifications of the body.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

PnS is WYSIWYG, SLR is not... most SLR is not 100% viewfinder, so what you see is only the how many percent, where as the PnS LCD is the 100% view of the picture before the shutter is hit... (technically, all Digital PnS viewfinder can literally throw away)

then, on PnS, the image is already optimised to WYSIWYG, like shutter speed, aperture adjustment all done, so u just snap, pic will be exactly the same... for DSLR we see thru the viewfinder, we rely on the metering, if the metering play punk, so is your image, and what you see sometimes may not be what you want... over expose, or under expose is common... unless u fully grasp the metering... simple illustration is the spot meter... if u see nice, meter on black or white, the picture will be overexpose or underexpose... or shoot a scenery and have over 75% white on average, metering also got problem.
I won't say PnS is totally WYSIWYG, the expose to show you on the lcd is more on "guessitmate", sometime it can go quite wrong, some more it's hard to judge by lcd as the brightness may differ due to environment lighting or lcd brightness adjustment, histogram however will seem to be a more acurate guess. Not all PnS is 100% size in viewing also.
But I must say it's much easier to use PnS due to the live preview. Unlike DSLR, which you need to shoot one to show whether it's right or not.

yeocolin said:
jsbn is correct. SLR is closer to WYSIWG than P&S. Due to the viewfinder and lens on different planes in P&S, P&S is prone to parallex error especially if subject is proximal to camera. If lens in P&S is not focused, you wouldn't know cos you are viewing from the viewfinder. But if you are using SLR, you'll see the difference immediately if lens is strewn with fungus, out of focus etc. This is what it means by WYSIWG.

this is if you're comparing optical viewfinders. but DCA was talking about the live preview on the LCD. (many new PnS cameras don't even have a viewfinder). In this case, the image on the LCD is taken off the sensor, so it is also the image seen through the lens, just like an SLR. and it is also adjusted (as DCA said) for your exposure settings (shutter, aperture, EV), so what you see on the LCD *is* actually closer to the final image (what you get) than what you see in an SLR viewfinder.

do agree with your second point though. it's a matter of frame coverage.

pardon the interjection, with an SLR, what you see is what THE CAMERA SEES. everyone is right, especially DCA's point on metering, exposure etc. depending on your settings the image you capture may (and in many cases) not be what you see through the viewfinder. unless of course you decide to use the "Auto" option on the top-right dial -- that's for friends who don't know how to use an SLR and are familiar with p&s cameras. i won't go into that, except to say that with p&s cameras what you see on the lcd is not what the lens/ camera sees, and in many cases depending on the camera make, it is not what you get. p&s camera sees A, you see B, picture comes out C and the mother-in-law is cropped... hahahahaha..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.