Questions about Medium Format Photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinlau92

Apr 15, 2007
Hi guys,

I want to have a go at medium format photography however there are some questions holding me back, so I would like to sincerely ask you guys for your views.

1. Is it good to start off this medium format journey with a TLR ? A Seagull TLR to be precise so as to keep everything low (I'm still a student)

2. How much is the processing and scanning of the 120 film ? Less than 15 dollars a roll ?

Yeah, that's all. Thanks guys.

i can only help with qns 2 cos i am a noob as well. developing and scan will depend on what type of film u are developing. slides will be more ex than negatives. i do my own scanning because it is cheaper on the long run. it used to cost me abt 15 or more to get my stuff developed and scanned.

i've just started trying out medium format as well. Can anyone advise how many exposures there are usually? thanks!

i've just started trying out medium format as well. Can anyone advise how many exposures there are usually? thanks!

Firstly, many posts about starting in MF photography over at the MF section in the forums.

As to your question, it depends on what format you shooting, 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x12, 6x17?

Get ready for wallet hell. :devil:

Every shot costs roughly $2-2.50 on my side. Better be sure you're not out to take photos like a dslr or even half of that if you're on mediumformat!
I would only shoot slides for color cause i think thats the special part about being in Mediumformat isn't it?

#4 refers,

there's a 6 x 8 and 6 x 9 format, too.

can go digital medium format direct entry, long term save money.

can go digital medium format direct entry, long term save money.

jus saw the Hassel promo in newspaper today, $49 k.

considering that a 2nd hand mamiya basic setup is abt $1k, tats equal a lot of film and developing.

but really,film and digi gives totally different feel.

As he mentioned, he's on a budget.

The only one which is REALLY budget conscious is the Kiev 6c with working meter ShutterGal is selling on the forums now. I wouldn't mind getting one, but it seems i have a Pentacon Six with metered prism, no point getting something the same.

If you ask me, i think it doesn't make a serious difference which camera body you get so long as it has the basic functions working well. And weighs all-right too. Unlike digital, there are no sensors within the body, just shutter speeds to be working correctly and everything else basic to be expected of a mechanical camera to be in place.
Shutter open, shutter close: getting a more expensive body won't secure you better color, resolution, or bokeh.

If i'm not mistaken the Kiev takes Pentacon Lenses too, and these seem to be more readily available from 2nd hand owners than Mamiyas. Mamiya lenses are more available in shops but also cost a huge wad. Go for Carl Zeiss JENA optics, you can't go wrong :D

Save the money and shoot on slides, it'll give you more end result than getting an expensive body. :sweat:

Last edited:
Agreed, it's that forty that set me back, however, direct digital means save time and money on films, processing and scanning, which is now setting me back as disadvantage. Also, the longer one stays in the films medium format, all the lenses and accessories added will not be compatible with the digital modelwhen decided to change. In the end the whole system of digital medium format will be much more than 49K. could be in the hundreds...to buy a car or a camera ?

I.. really doubt so :sweat:

Anything more than 49k is quite a huge amount, not just applying to the film users but to even the film + digital users who are supporting 2 or many more types of brands.

Even Leica collectors rack up beautiful Leica copies on their shelves.. for probably less than 49k. Unless you have been a photog for the past 40-50 years and shot through thousands and thousands of rolls and is still shooting now. :eek:
49k over multiple decades, is well worth the passion.

Another snag, can't/very difficult to apply for financial loan, especially this current meltdown moment, got to have up front ready cash.
Buying a car is simpler it seems.

Medium format is quite addictive once you get started. My recommendation is to save only a little bit longer and get a Yashica Mat 124 G or Minolta Autocord. The latter one is not showing any different results with the Rollei's from an early built.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to TLR!

There use to be a Pentax 120 format, not sure still available in secondhand market. The 645 of Bronica or Mamiya also a good choice ,coz of lens interchangabiity.

the irony is that a 1k, 20 yrs old, 2nd hand outfit will never get outdated (cus its already outdated :bsmilie:).

a 49k modern digi medium format will be obsolete in a few years. it price will plunge somewhat like fannie mae stock after the sub-prime. not to mention the computer power needed to support the camera set.

but i believe if u are a busy working pro, the money invested can be made back rather quickly. speed and efficiency is the main concern.

however, for the average amateur, the 48k saved can equal to a good scanner bought, ten and thousands of rolls of film, many holidays taken where great shots can be made.

#15 refers,,

You're absolute correct to mention that, just like the plunging price of those plasma and lcd tv. that's the down side of technology, sad but true. Even the Degree that someone is holding now will be obsolute in three to five years time, and jobs which are to be created/available in the next five years are not taught currently in any of the uni now.
But something remains unchanged for hundreds of years, i.e. visit any kitchen of fine chinese restaurant and you will sure to find the chef, old or young, still tossing their food in that big black heavy wok. No microwave cooking, nothing could replace.

Back to that digital medium format camera, that $49k is just the beginning, there are many other paraphernalia to come along, adding all up, it could equals a four room HDB apartment.

That's why most photographers listed for hire here, uses only DSLR, very few D-Medium Format SLR. I reckon they understand the pitfall too. Also, it will be difficult to sell off a D-Medium Format SLR as second hand, how to price ?

Back to that digital medium format camera, that $49k is just the beginning, there are many other paraphernalia to come along, adding all up, it could equals a four room HDB apartment.

That's why most photographers listed for hire here, uses only DSLR, very few D-Medium Format SLR. I reckon they understand the pitfall too. Also, it will be difficult to sell off a D-Medium Format SLR as second hand, how to price ?

48.5k perhaps? Medium format is the next step in digital. Somehow FF is not what it seems either and is highly overrated still not coming close to traditional film.

Obviously manufacters take it slow huh .. First there was black and white TV, then we changed to color, to 100 Hz., flatscreen, HDTV and god knows what else is hip 5 years from now. Most likely it can be made today but let's milk the market first ... slowly slowly ..

not sure why would discussion about digital medium format camera can help TS?

bear in mind TS is just a student, fork out $200 for a good condition used TLR maybe already at his max, and may not shoot more than 30 rolls for the 1st year.

so how a long term benefit of saving money come about?

Status
Not open for further replies.