Questions about macro shooting in Singapore Botanic Gardens.

Macnmotion

Sep 19, 2014
Bangkok
Hi Everyone. I will be in Singapore next week I am thinking I would like to go to the Botanic Gardens to shoot some bug macros.

I have a couple questions for anyone who has been there:

1) are there any favored locations in the gardens to hunt for bugs?

2) are there restrictions on the type/size of camera I can take in? I have a canon 5d2 with 100mm macro, full set of focus tubes and ring light which can look pretty imposing.

Thanks. Andy

Hi Everyone. I will be in Singapore next week I am thinking I would like to go to the Botanic Gardens to shoot some bug macros.

I have a couple questions for anyone who has been there:

1) are there any favored locations in the gardens to hunt for bugs?

2) are there restrictions on the type/size of camera I can take in? I have a canon 5d2 with 100mm macro, full set of focus tubes and ring light which can look pretty imposing.

Thanks. Andy

Ans:

#1, no idea, I have not shoot macros in the wild.

#2, really? last time I shoot with 4x5 and medium format cameras in the garden and nobody make noise about it.
anyway, as long your filming / photography shoot does not look like a commercial production, no permission needed, than I ask them how they define as commercial production, they replied, setting up more than two tripods (light stands) is consider commercial production.
so you have no more that two three legged thingy you are good to go.

Welcome to Singapore :)

1) I'm not into macro but heard from my friends the forested areas are better, you can try the 'Rain Forest' beside the Visitor Centre.

2) Don't think your equipment will pose a problem. Have seen birders with their huge telephoto lens on tripods shooting around ;)

I shot at the Botanic Garden's Rain Forest Trail day and night without any problem.
The park closes at 12 midnight so be sure to leave before that otherwise the security will chase you out.
You should have not problems bringing your gears into the park.

Thanks for the replies.

I won't have a tripod with me, just the camera gear and shoulder bag. Traveling light coming from Bangkok.

My initial inclination is to first go to the Rainforest walk. I found a decent iPhone App that maps and highlights the Botanic Gardens, that will help me find my way through.

There haven't been many bugs here in Bangkok lately to photograph, and as I'm relatively new at macro I'm itching for some variety.

For anyone who comes across this thread here is my follow up after my visit to the botanic gardens. The rainforest walk was not a great spot as you have to stay on a wood path that has ropes along it. Almost nothing is close enough to the path, although I did find one beautiful spider. My favorite spot was The Dell, not far from the Tanglin Gate. This area is at the garden's low point, there is water and humidity, and lots of cool bugs. Also nearby The Dell is the Marsh Garden in the corner of the park which is loaded with dragon flies. I will post my shots in the macro group when I return to Bangkok.