Questioned by police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Feb 1, 2002
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
Earlier today, Falungung people set up signboards and started giving out flyers along Orchard Road, right outside Wisma Atria. There were a number of police officers walking around but not actually doing anything.. they were probably waiting for instructions.

I was walking down Orchard Road, taking some photos of the Falungungers. Nothing fancy, no tripod, just street shots. I wasn't taking photos of Wisma Atria or any buildings. After that, I turned into Wisma Atria and reviewed my photos on the stairs.

Two policemen came up to me and said, "Excuse me Sir, are you a tourist or Singaporean?"

"Singaporean.", I said.

"You're not from the press or anything like that, are you?"

"Nope. Just taking photos."

"Why are you taking photos?"

"Well, this is not something you see everyday, right? It's unusual.. and I like taking photos of unusual things."

"You like taking photos?"

"Yep. I walk down Orchard Road every week taking photos."

"Can I get your particulars?"

"Okay". (Gives IC to policeman) "So you're going to verify my identity or something?"

(pause) "Nah. Can I get your contact number as well?"

(Gives mobile number)

"Thank you very much Mr S."

And then they left me to resume shooting.

So that's what happened. That part is okay... they want particulars in case some incident happens and they need people to give statements or something.

But what I'm wondering about is, why did they only stop Singaporeans? There were lots of tourist types walking around with cameras and camcorders, doing closeup videos of the Falungungers too. And none of them were stopped. Is there a specific reason for this disparity?

Wah.. these kind of things better don't shoot. later they think you trying to sell photos to the foreign press. The elections coming soon, the gahmen very sensitive one.

Sausage said:
Earlier today, Falungung people set up signboards and started giving out flyers along Orchard Road, right outside Wisma Atria. There were a number of police officers walking around but not actually doing anything.. they were probably waiting for instructions.

I was walking down Orchard Road, taking some photos of the Falungungers. Nothing fancy, no tripod, just street shots. I wasn't taking photos of Wisma Atria or any buildings. After that, I turned into Wisma Atria and reviewed my photos on the stairs.

Two policemen came up to me and said, "Excuse me Sir, are you a tourist or Singaporean?"

"Singaporean.", I said.

"Well, this is not something you see everyday, right? It's unusual.. and I like taking photos of unusual things."

"Okay". (Gives IC to policeman) "So you're going to verify my identity or something?"

(Gives mobile number)

So that's what happened. That part is okay... they want particulars in case some incident happens and they need people to give statements or something.

But what I'm wondering about is, why did they only stop Singaporeans? There were lots of tourist types walking around with cameras and camcorders, doing closeup videos of the Falungungers too. And none of them were stopped. Is there a specific reason for this disparity?

u have the right to ignore the police officers as u r not commiting a crime.;)

Sausage said:

"Singaporean.", I said.

(Gives mobile number)

you are contradicting isn't it?

well, let us be glad the police are working that extra effort and trying to keep more alert to make our country safe.

No, not contradicting. I obviously look like a typical Singaporean. The question was redundant, given that I was watching the whole area for close to an hour and didn't see non-local-looking people being stopped.

Are you we can ignore the police officer? :think: Try doing that in the states and see what happen...!:sweatsm:

Peacelovingguy said:
u have the right to ignore the police officers as u r not commiting a crime.;)

you very lucky, they never confiscate your camera.

The police wanted to know if you are one of those from that wierdo cult.

They want to show those tourist that they are "working" mah. If you are a singaporean and told them you are a tourist, I think they just say ok and walk away :bsmilie:

I was told by someone this afternoon, at JE whereby the popular is located, there are police man catching those who jay walk. $20 for that, if 100 kenna that time, $2k for our govt. So, end of the year, bonus time, don't commit any unwanted crime and give them the "bonus"

Sausage said:
No, not contradicting. I obviously look like a typical Singaporean. The question was redundant, given that I was watching the whole area for close to an hour and didn't see non-local-looking people being stopped.
Now if I went the other path and became a policeman 5yrs ago, I not only would ask for ur particulars. I would have personally hauled u back to the station for questioning. Never mind if I'm going to get a complaint.

Some questions:
1) We all know u maintain the Haro Singapore blogsite. A blogsite for quirky things all Singapore. Ok, that's fine. But that's among us netizens. How abt those who don't know? U don't expect them to know right?

2) A Singaporean, standing there watching the entire area which his eyes can cover for an hour. Any normal security guard (if they are doing their job) would have stopped u. Much less a patrolling policeman.

3) A few policemen walking around and 'doing nothing'? So, what do u want them to do in front of u to convince u that they are working?

4) Shooting in a public place is not an offence. However, all of u, ask urself this:
- U stand there and observe intently at others and the area for AN HOUR
- U take a picture and den move off immediately

Go figure and ask urself what impression would u create in a policeman if u're Sausage himself?

Sausage, don't blame others. Don't rant abt the 'tight security' or others being 'tight assed'. Reflect on ur own behaviour at the scene before ranting.

Sausage said:

Perhaps they think you're the EVENT PHOTOGRAPHER for the group of people. Taking your details down is only for 'in case' where they will have a number to call or person to look for.

I think a lot of people are missing the point. And who said anything about 'tight security' or others being 'tight assed'?

This is my question:

And another question. What's haro singapore?

Sausage said:
.......But what I'm wondering about is, why did they only stop Singaporeans? There were lots of tourist types walking around with cameras and camcorders, doing closeup videos of the Falungungers too. And none of them were stopped. Is there a specific reason for this disparity?

Next time tell the police that you're a foreigner. :)

police also human, writing IP (investigation papers) damn stress one....nope...me not in police...but was doing something related for ard 2 mths...then quit...haha

Thanks to you. If some thing happens, the police can use your photo as prove that the “person” is there. Catch one person in the photo and get him to give the address of the other. One photo or witness will do. You are the witness while your camera is the eyewitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.