Questioned by police?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peacelovingguy said:
Nope.... the police must have certain grounds to conduct a check on you. Sometimes, I feel that these officers are not well trained in the way they cheack people. I feel digusted at the unprofessional officers but I certainly reapect those who has good PR. However, the good ones are rare but they certainly make a difference to their organisation.:)

:bsmilie:

Next time a cop questions you, either in the States or here, let me know. I'd like to see what happens - will take picture and post in Reportage here

Peacelovingguy said:
u have the right to ignore the police officers as u r not commiting a crime.;)
No, leh. Dun think so. Furthermore, they also have the right to arrest you for getting in the way of law. ;)

mayb nx time u'll c our home team requesting for FOC photographers on patrol!!:bigeyes:

"excuse me sir/ miss/ mdm, can i hav ur ID & mugshots of u?" :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Sausage, i kno u feel sORe ah, nx time jus take ur pics & dun hide somewhere 2 review them. i'll go toilet cubicle 2 review, dun think they wanna b caught peeping into a cubicle rite?:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i would suggest that one should not endeavour to dish out such advice if you are not familiar with our local laws.

Peacelovingguy said:
u have the right to ignore the police officers as u r not commiting a crime.;)

no need, try it here and see what ensues from the long arm of the law.

Kimlee said:
Are you we can ignore the police officer? :think: Try doing that in the states and see what happen...!:sweatsm:

Sausage said:
-----rest snipped-----

And then they left me to resume shooting.

So that's what happened. That part is okay... they want particulars in case some incident happens and they need people to give statements or something.

But what I'm wondering about is, why did they only stop Singaporeans? There were lots of tourist types walking around with cameras and camcorders, doing closeup videos of the Falungungers too. And none of them were stopped. Is there a specific reason for this disparity?

Actually, I am more surprised at how willing you are to volunteer your personal particulars.

Sausage said:
I'm a good boy.

Being good is besides the point really. It's a matter of privacy.

All this goes into a file somewhere and a profile of you develops. It's basically best not to offer any personal information if it isn't necessary.

kahheng said:
Actually, I am more surprised at how willing you are to volunteer your personal particulars.

sausage didn't volunteer. he was asked for it by a member of the police on duty. as so many has pointed out, there is really no reason not to cooperate. especially these days when the security forces are gearing up for the possibility of having to make an on the spot decision to use deadly force.

don't make life difficult for others and yourself.

hyperFocal said:
No, leh. Dun think so. Furthermore, they also have the right to arrest you for getting in the way of law. ;)

Taking photos is not an offence, as such the police have no right to check u.;) Not to mention, arrest u.:bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:
i would suggest that one should not endeavour to dish out such advice if you are not familiar with our local laws.

Are u sure u know the law in Singapore?:bsmilie:

hwchoy said:
sausage didn't volunteer. he was asked for it by a member of the police on duty. as so many has pointed out, there is really no reason not to cooperate. especially these days when the security forces are gearing up for the possibility of having to make an on the spot decision to use deadly force.

don't make life difficult for others and yourself.

It's just illogical to bring in the element of fear by using the "they might use deadly force" argument. On whom? On Sausage? :bsmilie: This isn't a bomb scare situation. It's a Falungong situation. Political/public relations in nature rather than terroristic

The question to ask the officers if approached for information is: "Do I have to?" and then "Do you mind if I don't?"

That one is asked by a member of the force to give up info doesn't mean that one has to. The cop is basically fishing to see if he can get info from bystanders. He *has* indeed volunteered his own personal info as far as I can infer from his recollection of the events.

Peacelovingguy said:
Taking photos is not an offence, as such the police have no right to check u.;) Not to mention, arrest u.:bsmilie:

there used to be a member of the police hanging out here, will be good to hear the "official" position.

the police always has a right to check anyone in a public place, and if you do not cooperate then it only gives them cause to haul to back to the station for further investigation. of course they cannot just do it any old how (as if they are so free) and they have to exercise discretion in so doing. they also have bosses you know.

however if you are in your own home or other private places, then the police do not have a right to enter your private property. they will require a warrant to do so.

kahheng said:
The question to ask the officers if approached for information is: "Do I have to?" and then "Do you mind if I don't?"

this is a very good point. you can ask "do I have to" and they may insist. again unless you are from the police force (or I for that matter) we are arguing uselessly. My point being, do not be unnecessarily hostile and uncooperative towards the officers.

perhaps sausage should have ask if he REALLY needed to give the information, that I do not contend.

In my little dealings with the police (NOT the traffic police), I find they are generally courteous and professional. My colleagues has refused to part with confidential company information (on very good grounds) but we need to also do this professionally. So instead of saying: "why should I tell you?" we say: "can you please forward your request officially in writing or fax?"

hwchoy said:
the police always has a right to check anyone in a public place, and if you do not cooperate then it only gives them cause to haul to back to the station for further investigation. of course they cannot just do it any old how (as if they are so free) and they have to exercise discretion in so doing. they also have bosses you know.

No offense intended at all but what you're saying simply shows up your non-discretionary fear of authority.

Cooperate on what? If Sausage was part of the Falungong demo itself, THEN maybe you have a case for this "if I don't cooperate, they might haul me up" fear. From his recollection in his original post, it doesn't appear that the cop thought he was part of that movement.

kahheng said:
No offense intended at all but what you're saying simply shows up your non-discretionary fear of authority.

Cooperate on what? If Sausage was part of the Falungong demo itself, THEN maybe you have a case for this "if I don't cooperate, they might haul me up" fear. From his recollection in his original post, it doesn't appear that the cop thought he was part of that movement.

no no, I am digressing in a general manner rather than specific to the incident. if one were to be stopped on the road for a spot check for whatever reasons, is it not normal to cooperate as fas as REASONABLE?

heck I do not fear the authority, but trying to help the authorities in their duty. of course their requests should be REASONABLE as well.

however to digress again, suppose you were being ordered (not request) to stop and lie prone on the ground (again for whatever reasons unbeknown to you), what do you do?

According to Thomas Hobbes,

Man forms peaceful societies by entering into a social contract. According to Hobbes, society is a population beneath an authority, to whom all individuals in that society surrender just enough of their natural right for the authority to be able to ensure internal peace and a common defense.

You give up certain liberties so that the police can protect you from the bogeyman. The freedom from having your particulars taken down is one of the things you give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.