[Question] Zoom magnification & Focal Length

Marcusluvsgreen

Feb 4, 2012
Changi
Perhaps I overlook description but I came across this when I was comparing lenses...
Both lenses were 18-200mm in focal length but one had a 5.6x zoom and the other 11.1x zoom... so heres my question, isnt focal length zoom if it isnt then whats the difference between focal length and zoom magnification... enlighten me please :)

Marcusluvsgreen said:
Perhaps I overlook description but I came across this when I was comparing lenses...
Both lenses were 18-200mm in focal length but one had a 5.6x zoom and the other 11.1x zoom... so heres my question, isnt focal length zoom if it isnt then whats the difference between focal length and zoom magnification... enlighten me please :)

18-200 is 11.1X zoom. The 5.6X is wrong. Are you sure you didn't mistake f3.5-5.6 as the zoom?

to get the number of optical zoom, you just need to take the longest focal length and divide it by the shortest focal length, in this case 200mm/18mm = 11.1x zoom.

12-24mm is 2x zoom, and 10-20mm is also a 2x zoom, etc. :)

thanks guys for the clarification :) i misread the 2 one of which was 55-200 (3.6x) and the other 18-200 (11.1x)

Do note that "Zoom" means nothing to photographers. It's purely a marketing term for the totally pointless consumer. After all, a 200mm-400mm is a "2x zoom", and a 10mm-20mm is also a "2x zoom".

Rashkae said:
Do note that "Zoom" means nothing to photographers. It's purely a marketing term for the totally pointless consumer. After all, a 200mm-400mm is a "2x zoom", and a 10mm-20mm is also a "2x zoom".

I used to be at a lost of all these "zoom" gimmicks in the past. Now I'm fully understand after going into DSLR.....