question related to flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

centrino

Mar 3, 2004
www.pbase.com
i just got a flash and start to try it out...

1. can take reasonable good exposed pictures in auto mode.
2. when use Av mode, which i use most of the time, most of the time it's over-exposed. i use center-weighted meter and meter/focus on the subject. eg, a person, animal, subject.... (the lighting is there's light but not enough to let me handhold shoot...)
3. when use Tv mode, sometimes got under-expose or over-exposed pic too, dunno why :dunno:

feel the flash is too unpredictable other than auto mode........

Help please !!!! :cry:

It would help if you tell us the camera, flash, ISO, subject and background details. Better yet, post the photo.

i am actually shooting butterflies at alexandra hospital... uses flashes to light up the color and to achieve a higher shutterspeed...........

10D with 420EX, and 70-200 f4 when shoot the butterflies. :)

centrino said:
10D with 420EX, and 70-200 f4 when shoot the butterflies. :)

2. when use Av mode, which i use most of the time, most of the time it's over-exposed. i use center-weighted meter and meter/focus on the subject. eg, a person, animal, subject.... (the lighting is there's light but not enough to let me handhold shoot...)
3. when use Tv mode, sometimes got under-expose or over-exposed pic too, dunno why

I dun own a 420EX. But I know what 420EX are capable of.

In Av and Tv mode, the flash works as a fill in flash. Meaning that the flash will only iluminate your subject. It does not care about the background whether it is underexpose.

the shuttle speed actually control the amount of ambient light coming into your camera lens while apperture control the exposure of the subject.

The best is dun use Av or Tv mode... switch to full manual mode, to brighten background, use a slow shuttle speed... maybe below 1/50 or 1/30, apperture for a start try F5.6. If you are indoor, use ISO400 - ISO800

Remember, the higher the shuttle speed the darker the background you will get.

If you can bounce, tilt the flash towards the ceiling about 70 degree and shoot.

Hi Jim, thanks for ur explanation and tips. :)

Feel noise at ISO800 is a bit high, i mean quite visible. I normally use ISO400 if not enough light. only use 800 when die die must get a shoot....

When use full manual mode, will the flash determine how much amount of light to emit base on the aperture?

Must practice more to use manual, and it takes time to set the shutter and aperture... Wat mode does wedding photographer normally use when using flash?

centrino said:
Hi Jim, thanks for ur explanation and tips. :)

Feel noise at ISO800 is a bit high, i mean quite visible. I normally use ISO400 if not enough light. only use 800 when die die must get a shoot....

When use full manual mode, will the flash determine how much amount of light to emit base on the aperture?

Must practice more to use manual, and it takes time to set the shutter and aperture... Wat mode does wedding photographer normally use when using flash?

if you set the shuttle and apperture and shoot at the same location, you may not need to change anything. setting shuttle speed and apperture dun take up time.. if you know your camera well enough, you will know how to do it fast without looking at the display.

centrino said:
i just got a flash and start to try it out...

3. when use Tv mode, sometimes got under-expose or over-exposed pic too, dunno why :dunno:

feel the flash is too unpredictable other than auto mode........

Help please !!!! :cry:

For AV mode, you can set Custom function 3 (C.Fn03) to 1/200 fixed. It is to prevent overexposure in low-light. I also find that it give a more consistent result.

cheesypoofs said:
For AV mode, you can set Custom function 3 (C.Fn03) to 1/200 fixed. It is to prevent overexposure in low-light. I also find that it give a more consistent result.

for a fix 1/200, even if you have to use a very wide apperture your background is going to get underexpose and the whole exposure will get very un natural. Especially in low light, you need really slow shuttle speed.

1/200 is good to prevent any hand shake but you will not get satisfied result.

Manual is the best IMO. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.