Question regarding connectivity to PC and taking picture

firered83

May 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have a problem here in my workplace..

We are currently using a digital camera to take photos that is used for identification purpose. My staff will take a picture of the guy, upload the picture into the pc, use our own system to generate the card and print it out. As it is per-customer basis, we need to do pic transferring each time a pic is taken.

Thus naturally the problem we have encountered is that the constant plugging out and in of the USB port has made the camera usb socket insensitive and now it is almost spoilt. On 1 day it is being plugged in and out an average of 100 times, so I guess it is unevitable.

Thus, I need to resolve this problem fast, because we are in operations and this activity cannot be stopped. Hence a few queries below:

1) Is there any way, technology, or method, that allows a camera to be permanently attached to the computer, so that when taking picture of the person, we can simply switch between PC mode (for transferring of pic), and camera mode (for taking picture). Or given today's advanced technology, can we do wireless transfers of picture? Meaning we can take a picture and it can use infrared/bluetooth/wifi etc. to sync with the PC and the picture can be "automatically" transferred to the PC...

2) Is there any way that we can control picture taking from the PC instead of the camera? Much like a webcam, but we can take the picture using the camera instead. I know this invites the question "why not u buy a webcam instead" but the thing is a webcam lacks some functions that a digicam or SLR cam have, but i also dunno how to explain. it is like this: if we use a webcam to take the picture of the guy, we still need to do cropping/picture amendment, and end up the picture will either look elongated or squeezed when come out of the our system software. But we dont face this problem at all when we use the digi cam, we can take a snap and when transferred to the pc, there is no need for cropping and the picture is just nice can use and print to the card.

So the dream scenario for us is we can snap using a digi or SLR cam, but is control from PC, plus the camera is permanently attached to the PC for instant pic transferring and can mode switch.

Lastly, we are given a budget of $2,000 to get the necessary camera and software to replace the current one. Anyone can give good recommendations based on my enquiry above?

Your comments and opinions would be much appreciated...

Mods - If this is in the wrong section, appreciate if you could shift them to the correct one, thanks!

Thanks alot!!

If using Nikon, take a look at Nikon Wireless Transmitter WT-4 or WT-4a. Also take a look at Nikon Camera Contol Pro 2 software.

And also take a look at 3rd party product called Eyefi.

You can google them and find tons of info on them on the internet.

As suggested, wireless data transfer...

Or just buy a $8 "All in 1" card reader. I don't remember when I last connected my camera to my notebook. I have few card readers, all cheapo one and all working hard for last few years ..;)

As suggested, wireless data transfer...

Or just buy a $8 "All in 1" card reader. I don't remember when I last connected my camera to my notebook. I have few card readers, all cheapo one and all working hard for last few years ..;)

Put in and take out memory card more than 100 times a day, the memory card slot in the computer and camera will go kaputz also. :nono:

Quite a lot of cameras, even some point-and-shoots, support USB tethered shooting. You really could accomplish this for quite cheap.

hi guys

many thanks for the reply!

ok, i now then know its called "tethered shooting", done some research on the web and saw lotsa info on it..

now, i dont know if this is a "can-ask" question, but do you guys have any places to recommend with regards to making purchases like this? if possible maybe can PM me lol, i think with my budget i can get one nikon DSLR camera coupled with some software that can let me do tethered shooting, thus was wondering if the pros can guide me through some good models, anyway i really dont need a very good one because end day is just taking faces at passport size potraits...

thanks again!

hi guys

many thanks for the reply!

ok, i now then know its called "tethered shooting", done some research on the web and saw lotsa info on it..

now, i dont know if this is a "can-ask" question, but do you guys have any places to recommend with regards to making purchases like this? if possible maybe can PM me lol, i think with my budget i can get one nikon DSLR camera coupled with some software that can let me do tethered shooting, thus was wondering if the pros can guide me through some good models, anyway i really dont need a very good one because end day is just taking faces at passport size potraits...

thanks again!

Check the price guides in the marketplace subforum. Even if you do not find a list for the type of camera/equipment you are looking for, most of them have a collection of reputable stores at the end of the lists.

Hey check out this software also! "Sorfortbild", I'm currently using it on my MAC. seemed more responsive (in my own standard) you can give it a try. Just buy the LONGEST USB (5m max you cannot go anything longer) and then use your tethering software. It's very fun.

I was going to ask if you didn't have anyone with knowledge of opencv but I read your post again and realised that you don't need something that customisable.

I'm sure Nikon's system for tethered shooting would do what you require just fine. I've only watched it work from afar in envy but it seemed to be pretty responsive. A $2k budget to do this is more than enough.