Question re: differences between professionally developed negatives and my own

Status
Not open for further replies.

camie

Oct 3, 2005
Is there a difference in quality between negatives I develop myself in my local lab and having my negatives developed at a camera store? I enjoy the photo printing process, but loading the film and going through the developing process is a bit of a pain to me. But if I'm going to see a drop in quality, obviously, it may be worth it. I guess I just can't imagine how it would make a difference.

Thanks!

camie said:
Is there a difference in quality between negatives I develop myself in my local lab and having my negatives developed at a camera store? I enjoy the photo printing process, but loading the film and going through the developing process is a bit of a pain to me. But if I'm going to see a drop in quality, obviously, it may be worth it. I guess I just can't imagine how it would make a difference.

Thanks!

I'm assuming you are talking about processing your own B/W negs.
If you know what you are doing, processing it yourself isn't hard and you'd probably do just as good or better job than the labs will. They labs just subcontract it out to someone who does the same thing. I've had a roll of 120 Tri-X ruined by the B/W guy that the old Fotoguide used.

But if you find it a hassle then giving it to the labs may be the way to go.

There will be differences ... processing your own film is worth the efforts if you can .. try not to sent to lab as they do batch processing and the chemical may not be as fresh as you use your own chemical ... :)

But then if you can accept the quailty .. then make your decision ...

Status
Not open for further replies.