Question on Vignetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

artofshuenalogy

Nov 4, 2006
Hi pros. I would like to ask if vignetting of some EF lens would affect EF-S bodies (canon)? Assuming the picture below is one shot on FF, the lighter area is 1.6x crop factor and the weird bad drawings at the side being the vignetting. Is it right to say the vignetting of the lens won't affect EF-S bodies? Thanks! ;p

IMG_9398_-WEB-vig.jpg

I'm not a pro, but you can't really say it won't affect crop bodies.. just to a lesser extent..

I'm not a pro, but you can't really say it won't affect crop bodies.. just to a lesser extent..

because the cropped sensor is using the better part (inner centre part) of the "full frame" lens, there is less amount of vignetting, all things being equal (like aperture, focal length, composition, illumination, etc)...

as well, image softening (lack of sharpness) and chromatic aberration at the edges which are due to the limitations of the lens may also not be as severe because only the centre (better) part of the "full frame" lens is used...

not a pro either. but yes, less pronounced (or even none?). given that 1.6x fov cameras takes the 'sweet spot' (or centre) of the lens, cropping out the edges like what you illustrated from the image abv.

but if you are using a efs/dc/di-ii/dx lens, this issue might be pronounced again as there is no 'sweet spot' to take advantage of..

because the cropped sensor is using the better part (inner centre part) of the "full frame" lens, there is less amount of vignetting, all things being equal (like aperture, focal length, composition, illumination, etc)...

as well, image softening (lack of sharpness) and chromatic aberration at the edges which are due to the limitations of the lens may also not be as severe because only the centre (better) part of the "full frame" lens is used...

not a pro either. but yes, less pronounced (or even none?). given that 1.6x fov cameras takes the 'sweet spot' (or centre) of the lens, cropping out the edges like what you illustrated from the image abv.

but if you are using a efs/dc/di-ii/dx lens, this issue might be pronounced again as there is no 'sweet spot' to take advantage of..

Thanks. So using EF lens on EF-S bodies is good afterall hahaha

A very simple solution is to stop down by 1 or 2 stops whenever the situation allows it (ie, DOF doesn't really matter, there is enough light)

But yes EF lenses generally work wonders on EF-S crop bodies as compared to 1.3x or FF cameras. My 28-135 is a testament to that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.