question on UV Filter


Status
Not open for further replies.

psx2sg

New Member
Mar 15, 2005
458
0
0
Tomato
#1
Hi all Lumixers

It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

again, thanks for your time! :sweatsm:
 

rhair78

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
1,044
0
0
Singapore
rhair78.multiply.com
#2
psx2sg said:
Hi all Lumixers

It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

again, thanks for your time! :sweatsm:
Hi psx2sg.
1. Fz10/20 is provided with a tube adapter, that can mount the hood correct?
the tube adapter has a 72mm thread, so you can mount filters to the tip.

2. UV filters are clear, just filter UV rays. Colored filters are colored filters (red, green, blue etc)

3. 72mm UV filters generally range from $10-25.
72mm Circular polariser about $45.

If you want details on polariser, filters, use the "search this forum" function within the sub forum. There have been similar posts before and answers provided.
 

rhair78

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
1,044
0
0
Singapore
rhair78.multiply.com
#4
I am guessing the bugger has UV filters that are colored.
You can use them for creative shots.
Get if you need, otherwise just get normal ones from popular shops (CP-Cathay Photo: Peninsula, AP-Alan Photo: Funan/Simlim, MS: MS color: AMK Jubilee S11) etc. Good luck
 

psx2sg

New Member
Mar 15, 2005
458
0
0
Tomato
#5
ok, thanks rhair. BTW, u have any idea how much are the filters?
 

theITguy

Senior Member
Sep 19, 2003
3,142
0
0
In this small world
Visit site
#8
psx2sg said:
Hi all Lumixers

It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

again, thanks for your time! :sweatsm:

1. as rhair78 explained

2. The most basic UV filters are UV(0) with no colour cast (no colour temp change), Skylight 1B (a slight warm/pink cast). Normally I just get a UV instead as I like what my film produce. Those blue, red UV filters, have not see/heard before. pure blue/red filters that is meant for Black and White I know.

3. This is not the place to ask to buy. But if you really want to buy, get the brand B+W, more expensive but much easier to clean and last longer. Hoya SHMC (Super Hoya Multi Coated) has a very strong yellow cast if you do not use manual white balance. I would dare say the overall quality of Hoya filters are inferior to B+W. Even my uncoated B+W red filter cleans easier than the Hoya multi coated ones.

B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) are not cheap, $45 for a 58mm. A 72mm will be around $80+/-. Expensive but remember it stays on your lens all the while. For polarizer, a 67mm one cost $165 for a B+W one. A 72mm should be near $200+/-
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#9
A $72 mm B+W MRC 010 UV costs about $73, but you seriously get what you pay for, for the Hoya I gave up. Just test the two on newspaper and white piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.
 

psx2sg

New Member
Mar 15, 2005
458
0
0
Tomato
#10
espn said:
A $72 mm B+W MRC 010 UV costs about $73, but you seriously get what you pay for, for the Hoya I gave up. Just test the two on newspaper and white piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.
Thanks for the tip, butat the moment when i see all these pricing....

my expression ... :eek: :bigeyes:

guess have to save a bit 1st...
 

Scann69

New Member
Feb 25, 2005
327
0
0
38
Singapore
scann69.fotopic.net
#12
espn said:
A $72 mm B+W MRC 010 UV costs about $73, but you seriously get what you pay for, for the Hoya I gave up. Just test the two on newspaper and white piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.
Where do i find this B+W UV filter? Also, how many versions of the UV filter does B+W have? just in case i end up buying a cheaper or a less multi-coated filter.
 

theITguy

Senior Member
Sep 19, 2003
3,142
0
0
In this small world
Visit site
#13
Scann69 said:
Where do i find this B+W UV filter? Also, how many versions of the UV filter does B+W have? just in case i end up buying a cheaper or a less multi-coated filter.

Oh man....

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/uv_&_warming/


I supposed B+W filters comes in 2 coatings, Uncoated and Multi Resistent Coated (MRC). Already it is mentioned in my previous post here (which you cannot even bother to READ) it is MRC, just tell Cathay Photo uncle you are looking for 72mm B+W MRC UV filter. The first 2 filters in the link are 2 different filters (Skylight with slight colour correction for different purposes). Each filters come in Uncoated and MRC.
 

Hong Jia

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
1,117
0
0
#14
psx2sg said:
Hi all Lumixers

It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

again, thanks for your time! :sweatsm:
Hey... Dun get 72mm filters... heee... Get a phayee or chen tube then u can attach 62 mm filters... Generally the smaller the filter the cheaper they are.

As for UV filters, i use them so as for protection for my Leica lens on FZ10, so tokina single coated would be fine. If you willing to pay for more get a hoya hmc, multi coated one. But a Hoya would cost about 2 times more than the tokina one...

Cheers...
 

Scann69

New Member
Feb 25, 2005
327
0
0
38
Singapore
scann69.fotopic.net
#15
theITguy said:
Oh man....

http://www.schneideroptics.com/filters/filters_for_still_photography/uv_&_warming/


I supposed B+W filters comes in 2 coatings, Uncoated and Multi Resistent Coated (MRC). Already it is mentioned in my previous post here (which you cannot even bother to READ) it is MRC, just tell Cathay Photo uncle you are looking for 72mm B+W MRC UV filter. The first 2 filters in the link are 2 different filters (Skylight with slight colour correction for different purposes). Each filters come in Uncoated and MRC.

Thanx for the reply theITguy but if u had taken the trouble to read my question, i asked which filter and you did mention there are 2 types. Question is, which one would be the best to buy with all the coating needed. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and realize i should have gotten the other one.
You mention B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) while espn mentioned B+W MRC 010 UV. Now am i to know if it's the same with the fact that i'm asking cos i'm new. ;(
 

theITguy

Senior Member
Sep 19, 2003
3,142
0
0
In this small world
Visit site
#16
Scann69 said:
Thanx for the reply theITguy but if u had taken the trouble to read my question, i asked which filter and you did mention there are 2 types. Question is, which one would be the best to buy with all the coating needed. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and realize i should have gotten the other one.
You mention B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) while espn mentioned B+W MRC 010 UV. Now am i to know if it's the same with the fact that i'm asking cos i'm new. ;(

Both are the same, the "010" is just a industrial code. Cathay do not bring in specialised filters like UV Haze. So there will be only 1 and 1 72mm B+W UV MRC filter in Cathay Photo. If you took the trouble to see the link, you will see that the UV I am talking is same as espn.
 

Hong Jia

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
1,117
0
0
#17
Scann69 said:
Thanx for the reply theITguy but if u had taken the trouble to read my question, i asked which filter and you did mention there are 2 types. Question is, which one would be the best to buy with all the coating needed. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and realize i should have gotten the other one.
You mention B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) while espn mentioned B+W MRC 010 UV. Now am i to know if it's the same with the fact that i'm asking cos i'm new. ;(
B+W filter are expensive. No point getting so expensive filter and yet see not much difference in the photo taken. In my opinion, the add on a UV filter is just to protect the lens inside. Why bother to spend so much, see no difference and heart pain pain when it get scratch... If u insist on buy a B+W 72mm filter... well good luck... i rather buy 7 x tokina filter and use... scratch throw... buy new one...
 

psx2sg

New Member
Mar 15, 2005
458
0
0
Tomato
#18
One small question, Just got a UV filter (finally) but realise that i've nothing to protect the filter, do they sell the covers also?
 

Scann69

New Member
Feb 25, 2005
327
0
0
38
Singapore
scann69.fotopic.net
#19
psx2sg said:
One small question, Just got a UV filter (finally) but realise that i've nothing to protect the filter, do they sell the covers also?
Yah, just go back to the shop and ask them for a lens cover. Make sure it fits will do.
 

ivan

New Member
Sep 30, 2004
457
0
0
Singapore
#20
psx2sg said:
One small question, Just got a UV filter (finally) but realise that i've nothing to protect the filter, do they sell the covers also?
just tell them the lens cap size u need (72mm or 62mm) :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom