question on tripod

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
Dear fellow seniors, I would like to buy a simple tripod that can 'clip on' and remove easily. I read some refer them as tripod head. I think having to screw the camera on/off is cumbersome.

Does anyone of you know this Nikon SL 168 has such a feature? Which brand in the market has such feature and is inexpensive?

Thank you for your advise.

Dear fellow seniors, I would like to buy a simple tripod that can 'clip on' and remove easily. I read some refer them as tripod head. I think having to screw the camera on/off is cumbersome.

Does anyone of you know this Nikon SL 168 has such a feature? Which brand in the market has such feature and is inexpensive?

Thank you for your advise.

You mean a quick release plate? Most tripod heads have these feature, no need to be worried.

hey thank you, what would you recommend for a basic tripod? The Nikon SL 168 is going for $30, whilst the Manfrotto Modo Maxi 785B is $90 in the used market. I wonder why the different?

hey thank you, what would you recommend for a basic tripod? The Nikon SL 168 is going for $30, whilst the Manfrotto Modo Maxi 785B is $90 in the used market. I wonder why the different?

Haha simple because its a Manfrotto and its a better tripod. I wouldn't recommend the Nikon one but it would be good for you to state your budget so we can recommend accordingly

I was thinking of a new Fancier 6662A which was advertised at $68. However, I cannot find any article on the 'quick release' lock (What I am looking for is ease to mount and remove the camera on the tripod.

While running through the used sale column, I am temped by brand such as Benro A-157 w/BH-0 head and Manfrotto 190LB both advertised at $100 each. Not much write up or specifications on these products.

I am looking between $60 to $100 and is not particular if it is new or used. Brand like the Steinzeiser and Digipod are generally very cheap too.

What is your recommendation?

I was thinking of a new Fancier 6662A which was advertised at $68. However, I cannot find any article on the 'quick release' lock (What I am looking for is ease to mount and remove the camera on the tripod.

While running through the used sale column, I am temped by brand such as Benro A-157 w/BH-0 head and Manfrotto 190LB both advertised at $100 each. Not much write up or specifications on these products.

I am looking between $60 to $100 and is not particular if it is new or used. Brand like the Steinzeiser and Digipod are generally very cheap too.

Do not get the Steinzeiser ones, they are crap and are given free with most purchases. I have heard a few good reviews about the Canon tripod coupled with a ballhead, even though i've not used it before, saw a few at BnS selling at $60. From the pictures i see of the fancier 6662A, the ballhead has a quick release plate.

eh.. i using Vanguard Mak234.

I dunno if it's good or bad but since it's my first tripod, i have nothing to compare with, so it's good for me. hehe

So Canon got how many models :dunno:I am still confused on what to purchase :sweat:There are some good reviews on fancier 6662A, any users here care to share?

Of course I am referring to basic tripod.

So Canon got how many models :dunno:I am still confused on what to purchase :sweat:There are some good reviews on fancier 6662A, any users here care to share?

Of course I am referring to basic tripod.

As far as I know, only one particular Canon model is good, also, is there no way you can push the budget higher?

I am into my 1st month of photography and today my 3rd outing to do photo shoot. I understand some of these outing require tripod, that is why I am actively looking for one to participate.

$100 buck still too low har:cry:

if you can push it up to $160.. you can get the Sirui T1004x with g10 ballhead, which is a decent tripod to start off with..

happy shopping :D

I am into my 1st month of photography and today my 3rd outing to do photo shoot. I understand some of these outing require tripod, that is why I am actively looking for one to participate.

$100 buck still too low har:cry:

Its not easy to find a good one at <$100, the best would be push it to at least more than $150

I'm using Fancier 6662A. Good enough for beginners. By the way it has quick release plate.

Bukitimah said:

The quick release is on top of 6662A ballhead don't worry. An alternative is to stick the plates permanently onto your cam, then you just screw it once, but ugly ;)

If you intend to get a tripod, get a relatively good one. Which camera are you using? If your camera belongs to the category of those semi-pro bodies of substantial weight or if you intend to use it with big lenses, you will need to consider the loading limit of the tripod. No doubt most tripods can handle that kinda weight, but you need a good one to provide sturdy support, its pointless having a tripod if it is flimsy for the setup. :)

The nikon Tripod :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:!!

Used to use that in the past... nearly vomit blood...

better spend more on a good tripod. saves you the effort to buy/upgrade if you need a better one in future.

If you intend to get a tripod, get a relatively good one. Which camera are you using? If your camera belongs to the category of those semi-pro bodies of substantial weight or if you intend to use it with big lenses, you will need to consider the loading limit of the tripod. No doubt most tripods can handle that kinda weight, but you need a good one to provide sturdy support, its pointless having a tripod if it is flimsy for the setup. :)

I am using a Nikon D5000 and I don't mind used tripod as long as it meets the basic. Saw pictures of Benro and Manfrotto, they all look decent enough. I must say even the Fancier 6662A looks good on photo. I happen to visit a shop and they displayed Digipod, the finishing looks rough but maybe that is the lower model I saw.

I am using a Nikon D5000 and I don't mind used tripod as long as it meets the basic. Saw pictures of Benro and Manfrotto, they all look decent enough. I must say even the Fancier 6662A looks good on photo. I happen to visit a shop and they displayed Digipod, the finishing looks rough but maybe that is the lower model I saw.

Don't rely on the photos, what looks good might not actually be good. Spend a saturday going down to the shops and check out all the tripods you shortlisted and try them with your camera, thats the best way.

benro and manfrotto are generally good tripods. if you're getting the used, better "try before you buy" as these may already be loose or spoiled. set it up with your camera and move it around a bit (being careful not to topple the whole thing down of course).

cheers!
:cool: