Question on Sony A100 lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulXion

Apr 17, 2008
Earth
Hi I'm a newbie here

I got a question for this Sony A100 lense.
I borrow this cam from my friend and use it to take some shot.
The lense stated that the zoom is 18-70 mm which at first I thought "WOW":bigeyes:,
the angle is so wide, so can definitely take some very good landscape photos.
but later I found that it's not much wider than a 28mm wide-angle camera;p
Is it because there is some setting that I didn't use or it's just sony standard is different from others?:think:

the a100 is a aps-c camera with a crop factor of 1.5. so your lens effective fov is actually 27mm and not 18mm.

Well, most DSLRs have a 1.5 crop as compared to a 35mm film camera, so a 18-70mm on a DSLR is actually equivalent to a 27mm-105mm range when compared to the film. Hence, there is not much difference when you compared it to your 28mm camera.

Thks man for the quick reply (less than 1 minute some more :thumbsup: )

Will look up more info on this aps-c camera :D

the A100 is not a full frame camera as are SLRs. it's FOV is cropped by 1.5x. this effectively means that 18mm on a non-full-frame DSLR is the equivalent of 27mm on a full-frame DSLR. this explains your observations.

most APS-sized DSLRs have their FOVs cropped by 1.5x or 1.6x. as their sensors are smaller, they capture a smaller portion of the FOV, but magnifies it to the specified resolution.

How do I know the difference if I see a aps-c type lense & a normal 35mm type lense as I can see that difference brand use difference standard.:think:

If you are referring to Sony/KM, a lens meant for APS-C cameras will be marked with DT. Otherwise, the others will be for Full Frame as well. You can actually use lenses for a FF camera on an APS-C sensor just that the lens will not be as wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.