Question on shutter count etc

Rawl1

Nov 4, 2011
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and just gotten a second hand Eos 350D. I have a few questions for the experienced.

1. How do I check the shuttercount? The image name generated is 6100 etc but whereas I see the display on the camera shows 861-6100. Does it mean the shuttercount is 6100 or 861k (impossible right?)

2. Is 1GB CF card enough ? Like how many shots I can shoot? I see from the camera it's estimated about 260 if I'm not wrong. How much would a 8GB cost since Challenger is selling at $51 whereas I saw a SG guy selling online his Kingston 8GB which he said bought at $35 original price only.

3. Are compatible battery reliable?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and just gotten a second hand Eos 350D. I have a few questions for the experienced.

1. How do I check the shuttercount? The image name generated is 6100 etc but whereas I see the display on the camera shows 861-6100. Does it mean the shuttercount is 6100 or 861k (impossible right?)

2. Is 1GB CF card enough ? Like how many shots I can shoot? I see from the camera it's estimated about 260 if I'm not wrong. How much would a 8GB cost since Challenger is selling at $51 whereas I saw a SG guy selling online his Kingston 8GB which he said bought at $35 original price only.

Thanks!

Image numbers in the filename has nothing to do with shutter count. Because image numbering can be reset. shutter count cannot.

Unfortunately there is nothing out there that supports reading shutter count data for 350D. The best way is to bring it into Canon Service Centre and ask them to do it for you.

Thanks for the prompt reply. But if that's the case, Canon would charge me when I send it to them to check the shutter count right?

Thanks for the prompt reply. But if that's the case, Canon would charge me when I send it to them to check the shutter count right?

Not too sure about that. You can give them a call.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi Rawl, welcome to ClubSnap. Canon cameras can't easily locate the shutter counts like what Nikon cameras are able to do so. Like what daredevil have said, the only way is to bring to service center. I think most probably they will charge you for a minimal fee.

For the CF card, it actually depends on the type of pictures that you are taking. If you are taking RAW type of files then it will take up more space. If you are shooting in Jpeg, it will last about 200+ shots. As what you have seen from the camera itself. Well for memory cards, I usually buy them on Ebay. Some are expensive while some are cheap, and provides free shipping. Most importantly, it is safe! :bigsmilie: I have seen prices ranging from $19+ all the way to $60+. Depends on what you really need.

You mean 3rd party batteries? Use battery grip :p

Hi all,

Thanks!

It is not impossible to have 861 K shutter count, just highly unlikely.

1GB CF card is probably enough if you are quite selective with keeping your shots, and taking them. Of course, if you machine gun everything, then even 64GB card will not be enough... Just for example, for my 14 day Taiwan trip, I took about 200+ shots, and kept maybe half of them for editing when reviewing on the computer.

Compatible batteries are fine, I have never had any issues with any compatible batteries. They might not hold their capacity over the long run as well as an original battery, but they are bloody cheap, so it's worth it for me. :)

The 8GB card would give you roughly 8 times the capacity of 1GB, right? Simple Maths then, but the camera will show you '999' in display because it only has 3 digits. Once the remaining count goes below 999 you'll see the correct number.
Get reliable cards, don't grab the cheapest stuffs around unless you don't mind losing data. I used Sandisk all the time for many years, never had any issues. Kingston cards seem to be more prone to trouble, according feedback here.
There are many brands in the market. Don't get fooled by fantasy numbers about capacity; finally they are all not better (or at least on par) to the Canon batteries. I used Hippo (650mAh from Tagotech) and some other brand (rated 1500mAh on label) and both gave roughly the same amount of pics, but a bit less than Canon.

The issue in regards to the shuttle is indeed unlikely. If you really doubt, you can first "stalk" the seller. See if what he used the camera for. If he has tons of photos on line, or thus timelapsed photography you should go to Csc to check it out. Next, you should check the price guides or the online shops in the consumer corner to find out what is the appropriate pricing. However I do not agree with the cs about that you should jus get the cheapest.(no offense) some memory card has issues that results in corrupt files while photographing. Furthermore, some brands such as sandisk offer data recovery services which is a plus for a klutz.

Regarding the compatible batteries, it's like playing the russian roulette especially if you order online. It may or maynot function properly.
If you are intending to get the battery grip, I would advise u to get e original since 3rd parties are known to have synchronizing issues especially after a firmware upgrade

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi Rawl1,

Welcome to Photography
1.) the only way to determine the shutter count accurately is to bring it to CSC. if you're not comfortable then bring it to CSC, if you can forgo the shutter count... then time to go out and enjoy shooting!
2.)1GB would not be enuff. on the last IT show, I was able to bought an Kingston 8GB class 4 for only $13, and the next IT show is fast approaching (last week of November I think) so you can watch-out for the good deals there.
3.) what do you mean compatible battery? are you referring to 3rd party battery? I'm using two original's and two third party battery. The third party batteries works like the original one. Just ensure you know how to take care of them, then they will serve you for a long time.

Hope this helps.

iczazache said:
The issue in regards to the shuttle is indeed unlikely. If you really doubt, you can first "stalk" the seller. See if what he used the camera for. If he has tons of photos on line, or thus timelapsed photography you should go to Csc to check it out. Next, you should check the price guides or the online shops in the consumer corner to find out what is the appropriate pricing. However I do not agree with the cs about that you should jus get the cheapest.(no offense) some memory card has issues that results in corrupt files while photographing. Furthermore, some brands such as sandisk offer data recovery services which is a plus for a klutz.

Why go through so much trouble when you can just bring to Csc in harborfront and get the info in minutes?

How much do they charge?

Thanks the rest for reply! I only shoot jpeg so the camera shows me about 200+ shots. But I'm only worried that it might not be. I think my battery will run or before I hit the 200 if I'm shooting at night with flash. Third party battery,ive found someone on this forum which sells batteries. So I'm intending to get from him but only postage. $22 with 1 year warranty. Anybody can tell me whether it's cheap and good or any recommendations for cheap and yet good third party batteries?

As for CF card, I would just want the basic as I'm low on budget. What is the cheapest, where to find for a 8GB yet suitable for DSLR? Maybe experienced photographers can share a bit of tips on selecting cf card since there are so many different types and prices.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks the rest for reply! I only shoot jpeg so the camera shows me about 200+ shots. But I'm only worried that it might not be. I think my battery will run or before I hit the 200 if I'm shooting at night with flash. Third party battery,ive found someone on this forum which sells batteries. So I'm intending to get from him but only postage. $22 with 1 year warranty. Anybody can tell me whether it's cheap and good or any recommendations for cheap and yet good third party batteries?
Battery life for the 350D mainly depends on review on display. If you need 4 seconds or more to review the image, plus showing around to whoever is next to you sure thing the battery will be down within 100 shots. But with 2 seconds review and no flash you can get 300+ shots. The onboard flash is of limited use, get a hotshoe flash if you really want to venture into this area.
As for CF card, I would just want the basic as I'm low on budget. What is the cheapest, where to find for a 8GB yet suitable for DSLR? Maybe experienced photographers can share a bit of tips on selecting cf card since there are so many different types and prices.
As mentioned, forget about cheapest in absolute prices. Chances are good you get something crappy and the money is wasted. I recommend Sandisk. The current models come with speed of 60MB/s, 30MB/s and older ones (maybe labeled as '133x'). These '133x' types are fully sufficient for the 350D, even when shooting in RAW. Everything faster is pure luxury. I used to get my cards from Best Bargain (5th floor, Sim Lim Sq.). Not sure whether the 133x type is still available as new cards, but Buy & Sell here should have plenty. Get a good card reader as well (same brand or Kingston).

How about third party batteries? Any good recommendation where to get them from and that lasts?

How about third party batteries? Any good recommendation where to get them from and that lasts?
No 3rd party battery will last longer than the original, regardless what claims are made on the label.
I have used Hippo from Tagotech (online shops, here in the forum), 'Lithium-Ion high power' from MS Color (AMK) and a brand named 'ittou' (Made in Japan according label) from Orient Photo, 6th floor Sim Lim. The latter one comes with 1year shop warranty. So far, all perform well with results comparable to the original batteries.

No 3rd party battery will last longer than the original, regardless what claims are made on the label.
I have used Hippo from Tagotech (online shops, here in the forum), 'Lithium-Ion high power' from MS Color (AMK) and a brand named 'ittou' (Made in Japan according label) from Orient Photo, 6th floor Sim Lim. The latter one comes with 1year shop warranty. So far, all perform well with results comparable to the original batteries.

It is possible.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pent...k-7-battery-d-li90-replacement-divipower.html

That's pretty good for a third party battery, definitely lasts longer than the original Pentax one.

Whether or not it can retain that charge for a long time is debatable of course.

I'm thinking of getting my spare battery from this guy/online shop in this forum called "mycamerasupply". Anybody has gotten batteries from him? Seems cheap and theres a one year warranty. Anybody can post experience?

I've been to MS Colour AMK but they quoted me $45 or $35 for the third party battery nb2lh which I'm not sure if it expensive. If it can last longer and works like an original, I think it's worth it.