Question on SD Cards

in1voice

Oct 30, 2012
Singapore
I was told by a shop assistant that it is better not get high capacity SD cards like 32GB because they cause more problems, compared to smaller cap SD cards, like 16GB. Is this true?

I was told by a shop assistant that it is better not get high capacity SD cards like 32GB because they cause more problems, compared to smaller cap SD cards, like 16GB. Is this true?

Not that i heard of. 32gb is pretty standard nowadays.

Its just that if the card fails, you might lose 32gb of files instead of 16. ;-)

But failure rate is very low no matter what

Did the shop assistant elaborate why more problematic?

sounds like hes pulling a fast one. Trying to clear the batch of 16gb cards first as 32gb soon becomes a standard.

Not that I know of too, they should be of the same quality.
However, personally I still rather get 2 16gb rather than a 32gb, simply cos I seldom shoot more than 16gb, or even 8gb in one day. :p
I rather have 2 cards as backups rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. That's just me.
If your camera or your shooting style requires such big memory space, then by all means go get the 32gb. Dun think there'll be any problems, that a similar 16gb wont have.

If card failure or corruption is such worry/risk, then you should get a camera with dual memory slots.

I don't really see how using a smaller memory card helps anyway. If it's gonna fail, it will fail.
If really smaller cards are more reliable, by extrapolating this argument, then one should use, say lots of 1GB or 2GB cards instead.
I hope the logic is not just blindly applied over from those that argues bigger harddisks are more prone to failures.

I always use 8GB card. And I have a wallet full of that. Just felt that smaller 8GB can minimise image lost should the card failed. *Touchwood: hopefully all the card won't fail* :p

Thanks for comments. I think the shop assistant was alluding to the risk of putting more eggs into a bigger basket, like some of you have mentioned.

I'm going on a 2 weeks trip in March, and expect to take a lot of pics and videos on my Sony RX100. Unless I bring a device/PC to download from the SD cards, I might need quite a lot of cards. So having bigger cards would be better, but the risk remains.

Anyone here ever had an SD card fail on you?

Thanks for comments. I think the shop assistant was alluding to the risk of putting more eggs into a bigger basket, like some of you have mentioned.

I'm going on a 2 weeks trip in March, and expect to take a lot of pics and videos on my Sony RX100. Unless I bring a device/PC to download from the SD cards, I might need quite a lot of cards. So having bigger cards would be better, but the risk remains.

I have. A kingston died on me. But do know that memory card failure usually happens slowly. You will initially see some pictures getting corrupted.. then more and more.

Failure happens all the time, but it is a tail-end risk - The occurrence is rare, but usually bad news when it happens, because there would always be some "precious" photos or crucial images for clients that are lost.

I think it is just something people have to accept. I think there is a greater chance of losing the memory card due to carelessness rather than having the card fail on you.

Yes once but it's my own fault, I forgot to do in-camera formatting. After that I always remembered

I'm bringing my Ipads along on my trip, so maybe I should get an SD card reader for the Ipad to transfer some pics there, in case run out of SD cards.

Anyone here has done this before?

I'm bringing my Ipads along on my trip, so maybe I should get an SD card reader for the Ipad to transfer some pics there, in case run out of SD cards.

Yes, tons, and discussed to death on cs already

Just out of curiosity, how long will you be in Malaysia, I was just there recently for 1 week and I couldn't even complete filling up a single 16GB card (btw, I shoot RAW files only and no movie).

I was in Australia this January and July and in both trip (5 days each) and I didn't finish using 1 single card too. Sometime you would just have to plan your shots, rather than go trigger happy.

If card failure or corruption is such worry/risk, then you should get a camera with dual memory slots.

I don't really see how using a smaller memory card helps anyway. If it's gonna fail, it will fail.
If really smaller cards are more reliable, by extrapolating this argument, then one should use, say lots of 1GB or 2GB cards instead.
I hope the logic is not just blindly applied over from those that argues bigger harddisks are more prone to failures.

The thinking is - If you use 2x16G cards, if one gets corrupted you lose only up to 16G of data while the 32G will lead to loss up to 32G of data. You halved the risk of loss of data if a card fail. It can happen.

"Put all your eggs in one basket..."

Why not going to any Internet Cafe and let them burn it on DVD? You could also bring a small mobile HDD and copy all files over, but then you need to be careful since it's mechanically sensitive. To me any HDD with bubble wrap looks better than the bulky iPad. And much better cost rate per GB anyway...
On the other hand: be more selective with your shots. If you gun down every building and local then you will run out of space quite soon and the processing later will become a task of madness. Focus on composition, take good pictures. I went to Vietnam for a week and my 2x 8GB cards were not fully used, the 2x 4GB backups were idling completely .. although I shoot RAW.

Last edited:
The thinking is - If you use 2x16G cards, if one gets corrupted you lose only up to 16G of data while the 32G will lead to loss up to 32G of data. You halved the risk of loss of data if a card fail. It can happen.

"Put all your eggs in one basket..."

That is obvious.
Well, then why not use 4x 8G cards, or 8x 4G cards... you see where this is going? If you say that 16G cards are a sweet spot for minimizing loss from card failure vs hassle of changing many smaller cards, then by all means go ahead, but does that mean you will never use 32G or larger cards in future, even when the world has moved on???

That is obvious.
Well, then why not use 4x 8G cards, or 8x 4G cards... you see where this is going? If you say that 16G cards are a sweet spot for minimizing loss from card failure vs hassle of changing many smaller cards, then by all means go ahead, but does that mean you will never use 32G or larger cards in future, even when the world has moved on???

I think the more cards you have, the risk of one breaking down or getting lost is also higher. So in the end, there might be a trade off. 16GB certainly looks like a sweet spot.

Rhino - I'm likely going to Israel/Istanbul for 2 weeks, not Malaysia. Probably take some videos too.

I think the more cards you have, the risk of one breaking down or getting lost is also higher. So in the end, there might be a trade off. 16GB certainly looks like a sweet spot.

Rhino - I'm likely going to Israel/Istanbul for 2 weeks, not Malaysia. Probably take some videos too.

Oops sorry my bad... I am still thinking of Malaysia... still on vacation mood.

Anyway, my advise still stands... Plan your shots well... make each shot count.

If in doubt, buy 2 or 3 16GB card and 2 or 3 8GB card should suffice most of the time.