Question on scanning negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

S40

Jan 22, 2003
Bt Panjang
Visit site
Hi,
Recently I've started scanning negatives. I realised that more or less, some noise are visible. How do I remove the noise? Is there any software that I can use?

Thanks

use multi-sampling when you scan? this helps to reduce the noise a lot on my scanner but the scan time is much longer.

Ummm......sorry I'm really new into scanning negatives.... what is multi-sampling?
Curently I'm using the Vuescan software.

If by noise you mean dust, nope, software doesn't really help. The best way is to clone it out in software.

If you mean grain, than use finer grain film. Supra 400 is quite good; supposedly optimised for scanning. Normal 400 film is quite grainy.

If it's scanner noise (from the electronics), or dirty lens, then that'll require more drastic solutions.

Can you post a small crop of the noise? i'm no scanner expert, but i've scanned and cleaned a few hundred rolls of my own negs and slides, so can differentiate what kind of noise you're talking about.

Take a look at this recent photo:
__hr_45_06-2003.jpg

Is that noise or dust?'cos I took a look at the negative and can't find any dust....

Is there any effective way of removing them? What are the steps normally taken before you insert a film for scanning?

Originally posted by S40
Is there any effective way of removing them? What are the steps normally taken before you insert a film for scanning?

Lovely picture. :)

If you're referring to the white patches above the child's head and on her clothes, that's dust. Welcome to the world of film scanning.

The most cost effective method is to use the clone tool in photoshop, or something similar. Don't bother if you're not going to do anything with the picture except archive it. For pictures that i print, can spend anything from 5 minutes to 1/2 hour cleaning up the dust... it's very time consuming.

i sometimes use a film wiper before scanning a strip - available at Cathay, i think ~$15. Something like a stapler, put your film btw the rubber strips and pull through. (Disclaimer: if you scratch your neg doing this, not my fault. i'm just sharing what i do w my negs.) Also, check BOTH sides of the film for dust. It is unlikely that you will spot the all dust particles.

Another method is to upgrade the scanner to one of those that use infrared to remove dust. Quite a lot of models around, but i think the cheapest is around 2k range. This one you'd have to shop around.

Keep your scanner properly covered when not in use. Dust that goes in stays in, and will affect every neg you scan. Improvise some covering for your scanner.

i'm glad i turned digital. i still scan film, but not as often. Scanning and cleaning/correcting a roll of film usually takes me 1-2 hours, per roll. A heavy shoot, say 6-12 rolls, will see me stuck at the computer for many nights.

If you have intention of doing heavy scanning (ie everything you shoot), save yourself the time and effort - get one with infrared dust removal. There are even models i saw that can scan all 36 frames at one go, provided the negs are uncut, of course.

I admit it is very time consuming scanning films. And normally I have to load the film the other way around again, just to scan the last shot that wasn't captured.

Has any of your film been scratched while cleaning your negatives using the film wiper?

Another problem that always occur is that the scanned shots doesn't produce the same color everytime. One shot can appear more greenish, wheras the other will appear more reddish.

Originally posted by S40

Has any of your film been scratched while cleaning your negatives using the film wiper?

No. i make a visual check on the rubber blades before i wipe. But all it takes would be one grain stuck on the rubber blade, so i try to be careful.

Originally posted by S40

Another problem that always occur is that the scanned shots doesn't produce the same color everytime. One shot can appear more greenish, wheras the other will appear more reddish.

Vuescan actually has the ability to 'lock' the background colour by scanning a 'blank' frame. Read the help file again carefully. The feature is called "Lock Film Base Colour", and the help file gives instructions on how to do it.

After 'locking' the base colour, if the colour cast is still there, then it's not the scanner's problem - probably a genuine colour cast in your picture.

Flourescents cause a green tinge, too bright daylight gives weird colurs, and reciprocity failure also give funny colour casts. Try to remember the conditions when you took e pic. (At least you won't be trying to correcting a scanner problem it wasn't one in the first place.)

Hmmm, point noted.
Any good scanning software around?
Finds that Vuescan is a bit slow, always buffering for no obvious reasons.

Originally posted by S40
Hmmm, point noted.
Any good scanning software around?
Finds that Vuescan is a bit slow, always buffering for no obvious reasons.

Silverfast. Costs a lot more.

i'm pretty sure that at the present moment, nothing beats Vuescan in price/performance. If you find one (eventually), pls let me know.

The buffering can be turned off. Read the help file.

Status
Not open for further replies.