Question on SB900

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuccessEnroute

Deregistered
Jul 28, 2009
Singapore
www.successenroute.com
I just bought a new SB900 flash, 2 pack of greencell 0f 4 AA size battery each. The next day i used the SB900, i found that the battery only last around 10 -15mins after shooting with flash for both battery pack. The settings on the flash was left on default and untouched.

May i know is it the SB900 flash, battery or the settings i didnt configure that make the battery drain so fast?

I just bought a new SB900 flash, 2 pack of greencell 0f 4 AA size battery each. The next day i used the SB900, i found that the battery only last around 10 -15mins after shooting with flash for both battery pack. The settings on the flash was left on default and untouched.

May i know is it the SB900 flash, battery or the settings i didnt configure that make the battery drain so fast?

I suspect it is the battery pack, not the flash. but try energizer lithium on the flash. if it is another repeat performance, then send back the flash to nikon for a check up since it is still under warranty.:)

Greencell-brand of alkaline batteries?
It might be the quality of the batteries.
Then again, your SB900 could be firing on full power for every shot. Is it being used in a dark environment? Perhaps you left it on Manual mode at 1/1 power?

As i am new to using flash, so the settings i left it at default. So it might be also the setting too ? I am shooting at day outdoor environment where places is dark or not enough sunlight. So what is the recommended setting to use?

Last edited:
I guess if you're on TTL mode, the flash output is being adjusted according to the situation, so it might not be full power for each cycle.

You're shooting in the day, but in the shade? If you've got background elements exposed to bright sunlight, chances are you've got your camera stopped down significantly to properly expose the background. Thus the flash output needs to be very powerful to compensate for the relative darkness of your subject/foreground.

I'm just guessing here, of course. In the end it might just be the battery problem. As mnjohar suggested, try with more powerful batteries (energizer lithium, sanyo eneloop, etc) and see if the situation improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.