Question on portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

oTaRu

Dec 25, 2004
can any teach me how to take portrait photo? i just bought a FZ30... trying to take protrait photo to test out... but somehow the background cannot be off focus... the photo came out to be clear with the object and the background... thanks~!

A longer focal length and larger aperture may help to blur the background.

The best way is to switch to portrait mode, which most cameras have including certain dSLR models. If you wanna do it the good old fashion way, then:

1)Use a wide aperature, preferably f/2.8 or lower.
2)Use a lens with a longer focal length / Zoom you compact cam till you almost reach its max. Typically 85mm and above will give you very good results.

Most importantly, get you model to stand further away from the background. Its virtually impossible to get good background blur if your subject is leaning/almost leaning on your background plane since it will always lie in the DOF even at f/1.4.

Going closer to your subject also decreases DOF but this factor isn't very important.

oic... thanks for the guide~! i will try it again and see how's is it....
realli thanks~!

DC normally can't produce a very shallow DOF no matter how close you follow the rules. And I'm serious. If you want those kind of DOF, switch over to DSLR.

Another thing. Is it very important to get a shallow DOF for portrait photos? <--for you to think of... he he he...

oTaRu said:
can any teach me how to take portrait photo? i just bought a FZ30... trying to take protrait photo to test out... but somehow the background cannot be off focus... the photo came out to be clear with the object and the background... thanks~!

you want the background to be off-focus, or you want the background to be in-focus?
play with the aperture.

You can play with the aperture or try the protrait mode...;)

ortega said:
Portrait mode should do

Portrait Modes does only 1 thing, usually.
It softens the image (blur)

just in case the michhy is right

textbook portraits settings

max focal lenght
biggest aperture
min subject to camera distance
max subject to background distance

subject in the light and background in the shade (less detail)
and soften the image with filter (not blur)

Happy shooting and post

I'll experiment with the portrait mode on a P&S this weekend.

i've tried using the portrait mode... even though it's gd to use... but dont have much DOF as i wanted... cos i see some photos on dpreview... i wanna try out the effect but fail to do so... maybe need some time to pratice or maybe there are some tricks that i dont no...

there's a section on scott kelby's book on Photoshop Elements 3 that teaches u how to create some shallow DOF.... rather easy to create the effect. ;)
oTaRu said:
i've tried using the portrait mode... even though it's gd to use... but dont have much DOF as i wanted... cos i see some photos on dpreview... i wanna try out the effect but fail to do so... maybe need some time to pratice or maybe there are some tricks that i dont no...

ortega said:
just in case the michhy is right

subject in the light and background in the shade (less detail)
and soften the image with filter (not blur)

Hihi.... i got a question regarding about the filter you mention ... what are type of filter you are refering to??? and it applies to pNs camera?

Thanks for advise :D. forgive me for asking quite a stupid question :D.

oTaRu said:

There's a limit to how much bokeh you can get with your cam. Just read the specs...its using one of those tiny 1/1.8 sensors which have virtually unlimited DOF. To get pro results you'll need a DSLR with either an 85mm or 135mm. Even with my 50mm set at 1.8 there's still quite a bit of limitations.

Haha if your point and shoot can do everything pros will be out of business!

P.S. I'm assuming you mean "don't have as much background blur as i wanted". Not enough DOF (depth of field) means that certain parts aren't sharp enough (ie too much blur), which I doubt is what you're talking about.

user12343 said:
there's a section on scott kelby's book on Photoshop Elements 3 that teaches u how to create some shallow DOF.... rather easy to create the effect. ;)
hmm... where can i get it?

Haha...resorting to Photoshop trickery :bsmilie:

Ok no need for Scotty's book. Just select your background and use the lens blur filter to simulate the effect. Gaussian blur will also work though the effect may be obvious if you set it too high.

pRoLoS3r said:
Hihi.... i got a question regarding about the filter you mention ... what are type of filter you are refering to??? and it applies to pNs camera?

Thanks for advise :D. forgive me for asking quite a stupid question :D.

try google in future

http://www.2filter.com/faq/sfocus.html

it also applies to P&S, if you have a filter tread then screw it in place or if you don't just hold it in front of your lens

solarii said:
Gaussian blur will also work though the effect may be obvious if you set it too high.

I prefer using median blur. the edges are sharper:D

Status
Not open for further replies.