Question on photo size

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtin88

Nov 3, 2009
Hi, need some help where i'm currently using the D90 and the image size is at 4,288 x 2,848.
I want to know if i wish to wash it to 4R, do i have to resize it down? if yes, what size should i resize it to?

Been searching the forum but cant find a similar thread.

Been searching the forum but cant find a similar thread.

That's surprising since it's a very common question on here and in the Digital Darkroom thread.

4R = 6" x 4"

4,288 / 2,848 = 1.5, or 6x4.

If you *really* want to be precise, crop the long side to 4272px. Otherwise the photolab will do it for you automatically.

It's just simple maths.

icic Thanks alot man.

Sorry but cant help smiling at the statement.
Hehehe... long time since anyone says "wash a photo"

lol yea its lik translating directly from chinese. should be develop.

Actually... I don't think it's even 'develop' now, since there is no developer chemical used for the negatives (no negatives).

A lot of labs use some sort of digital printer, so technically it's only "print" now :)

Do we need to send with such a high resolution? From my understanding, it depends on the dpi of the printer. If the printer is 300 dpi, a 4R required resolution is 6x300 and 4x300 which turns out 1800x1200. Anything more than that is not required. I learn this when I send my prints online, from the website.

Is my concept right?

Do we need to send with such a high resolution? From my understanding, it depends on the dpi of the printer. If the printer is 300 dpi, a 4R required resolution is 6x300 and 4x300 which turns out 1800x1200. Anything more than that is not required. I learn this when I send my prints online, from the website.

Is my concept right?
that is correct, higher then resolution requirement does not have any benefit on quality, however, it also depends on you, to downsize it for 4R, you need extra workflow, and you also need to keep one additional version of the images. Unless your intension is give the softcopies to others and it only can be printed 4R size only and not other larger paper size.

of course, if you send it for online printing, downsize it will save bandwidth.

hope this help.

Is my concept right?

So if i want to go print a 4R photo i need to resize my jpeg to 1800x1200? Sorry i'm not very clear with these printing formats. :(

So if i want to go print a 4R photo i need to resize my jpeg to 1800x1200? Sorry i'm not very clear with these printing formats. :(

No, the labs will resize it for you. It's up to you if you want to "pre-resize" it for them.

No, the labs will resize it for you. It's up to you if you want to "pre-resize" it for them.

Icic. alright thanks! this helped me alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.