Question on Panning shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnzila

Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

Could anyone enlighten me on how to take a panning shot or a moving vehicle with the subject clear and background in moving state?

Thank you :dunno:

practice. thats the only way.

focus on the car and then try to follow it as it passes by.

if you are doing for F1.....lots of rounds so take your time.

can practice on normal cars in the mean time.

Hi,

Could anyone enlighten me on how to take a panning shot or a moving vehicle with the subject clear and background in moving state?

Thank you :dunno:

A slower shutter speed and good calm steady hands. You may wish to use a tripod with panning functions for better results.

If your camera have tracking or monitor function use it (usually found under AF mode). This mode shorten the time needed for focusing.

Try shutter speed between 1/80sec to 1/125sec.

You can also use burst mode to improve your chances of getting good shot.

My initial success was about 10%. It improve after more practice.

If you're shooting on a sunny day, ND filter may be necessary because of the slow shutter speed.

My first panning shot:

DSC05406-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you peeps!
I will try out with a slow shutter speed and steady hands. And of course a moving subject!:)

Thank you peeps!
I will try out with a slow shutter speed and steady hands. And of course a moving subject!:)

keep on trying....practice make prefect..:)

Generally use shutter priority mode and shutter speed of 1/estimated-speed-of-car. Can try to use slower speed for blurer background effect if you can.

Generally use shutter priority mode and shutter speed of 1/estimated-speed-of-car. Can try to use slower speed for blurer background effect if you can.

So may i say that a car going at 30kmph u use 1/30 while one that goes at 300kmph u use 1/300?

From what i am reading from a book i got from library, the faster the car, the slower shutter speed u CAN use, cause u will be panning faster, thus less up-down motion as compared to a slow car. Anyone can rectify this?

I've yet to practice :sweat: Going on friday to practice, sat to shoot and sun to enjoy :bsmilie:

Last edited:
When I use shutter speed above 1/125 sec it freezes the rim of the wheels and reduce the effect of a speeding car.

dsc02307q.jpg

Taken @ 1/4s

dsc02333.jpg

Taken @ 1/10s

I'm no pro, but personally I feel that if you want to have a good panning shots, you must take note of these few pointers.

1. Your posture (If you're taking a car racing past from left - right in a horizontal plane, make sure your arms are rigid, firm and only your waist turns)

2. Shutter Speed (I feel this depends on how steady you can pan. If you can pan steadily, don't hesitate to reduce your shutter speed. If not, start with sufficiently fast shutter speed and practice) [Of course, slower shutter speed for more dramatic effects..]

3. Don't click the shutter once it enters your VF. Instead, once it enters the VF, follow the vehicle, adjust and estimate vehicle's speed with accordance to how fast you pan. Take the shot and follow through.

Just my 2 cents :D.

Last edited:
So may i say that a car going at 30kmph u use 1/30 while one that goes at 300kmph u use 1/300?

From what i am reading from a book i got from library, the faster the car, the slower shutter speed u CAN use, cause u will be panning faster, thus less up-down motion as compared to a slow car. Anyone can rectify this?

I've yet to practice :sweat: Going on friday to practice, sat to shoot and sun to enjoy :bsmilie:

So can go slower that you can go. :)

For normal cars, i would use about shutter speed 1/30 to 1/80 max.
For F1 i think can use abt 1/125 to 1/200, not too sure, havent got the chance & $$$ to try.. haha..

Slower shutter speed do give more panning effects. Zoom in close also can. :)

Its all trial and error.. try more range of shutter speed til you are satisfied with the result

Here's some of my shots from last year's F1 using 70-210mmf4 lens.
Not that great but acceptable to me..hehe

1/40s at f5.6, ISO400
2890684050_219a871261_o.jpg
]

1/60s, F5.6, ISO400
2894315586_1e09470608_o.jpg

You can check some of my last year's F1 shots here -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cthep2/sets/72157607263698677/

This coming friday is practice day for all drivers..so we can practice too ..;)

Hope with a better cam this year can get better shots ;p

nice shot bro...cheers

hi everyone, mind which Turn were u all taking ur photo at last yr ?
I was at Turn 5 which was not bad and it's near to the entrance to the pit stop where u could gets a few shots of the drivers ...

I tried taking moving vehicles on the road with various shutter speed using shutter priority mode and even with burst mode. Auto focus is continuous.

However most of the shots taken the car still appear blur, sometimes not as blur as the background but it doesn't appear sharp. What could be my problem? Only managed to get one or two shots with the car appearing sharp.

I tried taking moving vehicles on the road with various shutter speed using shutter priority mode and even with burst mode. Auto focus is continuous.

However most of the shots taken the car still appear blur, sometimes not as blur as the background but it doesn't appear sharp. What could be my problem? Only managed to get one or two shots with the car appearing sharp.

Try increasing the shutter speed (which will make the background less blur) or practicing more =) keep 'aiming' at the vehicle as you press the shutter.

My two cents, I'm still a newbie so do correct if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.