Question on Night Photography with People

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyrie

Aug 23, 2004
North
Hello all, Just like to find out for night photography how to get a clear shot of the model plus the nice lighting background? :rolleyes:

1. Have you tried a search? This is a basic photographic technique, and has been discussed to death.
2. Have you read your camera manual? Look for the section about flash.
3. Google, or search on CS, for "fill flash".

1. Have you tried a search? This is a basic photographic technique, and has been discussed to death.
2. Have you read your camera manual? Look for the section about flash.
3. Google, or search on CS, for "fill flash".

lol :rolleyes:

very simple, set the camera to expose background scene properly, and use flash to illuminate your model.

Thank you. Example if i select manual mode f10, 15secs for background. I am not sure how am i going to get a clear shoot of the model?:think: one way might be reducing the shutter speed to less than 1 second.

Ermm...I think what catchlights mean is to use rear curtain flash...burn in your background already then the flash fire to illuminate your model..

Someone was asking in other forum... (below quoted) and I gave my opinion below the picture..any thought?

just a noob question, what setting should we use when we are travelling around night street without using tripod and to able to take decent pic.

iso? shutter speed? F ?

2873hna.jpg

take a look at this photo I took (ISO800, 1/3sec, F3.9)

As you can see the shutter is only "1/3 sec", that's why we need to boast the shutter to the region of within "1/1xx" or higher to avoid the "ghost effect".

But by doing so, one need to increase the ISO to the region of 1600-3200 which somehow would make the picture look "grainy" (especially at 3200 - my experience).

Unfortunately, shot like this above is best without using flash and if without a tripod, it either one place the camera on a stable surface or one has a firm grip to avoid the shake.. IMHO

Last edited:
Someone was asking in other forum... (below quoted) and I gave my opinion below the picture..any thought?

Why are you bringing up a thread from July 2009???? And why should we comment about a picture someone posted on another forum?

2873hna.jpg

As you can see the shutter is only "1/3 sec", that's why we need to boast the shutter to the region of within "1/1xx" or higher to avoid the "ghost effect".

But by doing so, one need to increase the ISO to the region of 1600-3200 which somehow would make the picture look "grainy" (especially at 3200 - my experience).

Unfortunately, shot like this above is best without using flash and if without a tripod, it either one place the camera on a stable surface or one has a firm grip to avoid the shake.. IMHO

Why are you bringing up a thread from July 2009???? And why should we comment about a picture someone posted on another forum?

Actually, I was the one who took the picture and posted that comment on that picture on the other forum and thought I would like to share with the rest here to find out if anyone have any comment/thoughts on what I comment.

Last edited:

bring up an old thread you get angry...
make a new thread you get angry...

so what are the newbies supposed to do? haha

2873hna.jpg

Actually to get from ISO 800 and 1/3" to say... 1/60", you'd need much more than ISO3200 :) Just count how many times you have to double the shutter speed...
In such low light situations, the blur is probably unavoidable (unless you have some really high powered floodlights)...

kopohui said:
Actually, I was the one who took the picture and posted that comment on that picture on the other forum and thought I would like to share with the rest here to find out if anyone have any comment/thoughts on what I comment.

I'm confused. That thread was started in July 2009, and you joined Clubsnap in Dec 2009, so how could you have posted that photo?

I'm confused. That thread was started in July 2009, and you joined Clubsnap in Dec 2009, so how could you have posted that photo?
The picture was, indeed, taken months before I joined Clubsnap.. and as mentioned someone asked the question as quote in "#13" in OTHER FORUM.

After I replied to that thread in OTHER FORUM, I decided to post that similar reply in this thread, which I decided to "revitalize" it without starting a new thread.

The motive of doing so is to check with you guys if you have any comments and thoughts of what I replied in that OTHER FORUM

Sorry for the confusion caused

Last edited:
Hey kopohui,

Thanks for taking ur time to dig out ur thread to show us :)

The picture was, indeed, taken months before I joined Clubsnap.. and as mentioned someone asked the question as quote in "#13" in OTHER FORUM.

After I replied to that thread in OTHER FORUM, I decided to post that similar reply in this thread, which I decided to "revitalize" it without starting a new thread.

The motive of doing so is to check with you guys if you have any comments and thoughts of what I replied in that OTHER FORUM

Sorry for the confusion caused

oh... really OTHER forum...
I was thinking other thread/subforum within clubsnap... ok... no worries! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.