Question on mounting UV lens on lens kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qingrong

Jul 8, 2005
When you mount the UV lens to the lens kit for your DSLR, is there a need to turn off the AF function? When I screw on the lens, it tends to move the focusing lens.

You mean a UV filter?

No, there is no need to turnoff the AF function, though most people would hold the lens focus ring when screwing on a filter.

You mean a UV filter?

No, there is no need to turnoff the AF function, though most people would hold the lens focus ring when screwing on a filter.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Rashkae.

pardon me... i was looking for the correct term to use for the UV filter...

my concern was that when screwing the filter to the lens kit, it will move the focus lens and in AF mode, the focus lens does not move freely... i worry it might damage the auto focusing... any ideas?

my concern was that when screwing the filter to the lens kit, it will move the focus lens and in AF mode, the focus lens does not move freely... i worry it might damage the auto focusing... any ideas?

Why would the AF move when you screw on the UV filter?

because I hold the lens kit by the main body? i am not too sure of the proper method to do it.... ;p

yeah, i think the AF should not move. You sure you not on MF instead?

yeah, i think the AF should not move. You sure you not on MF instead?

hmmm... i'm pretty sure I am on AF mode... but my camera is off, will it make a difference?

because I hold the lens kit by the main body? i am not too sure of the proper method to do it.... ;p

Like I said, hold it by the focus ring. Then you're all set.

Ok, are you concerned that the barrel is moving when you fixing the filter?

if the barrel is refering to the portion where the focus movement, yes... i'm concerned it moved while i screw tight the filter...

if the barrel is refering to the portion where the focus movement, yes... i'm concerned it moved while i screw tight the filter...

Hold your lens by that part. Use your other hand to screw on the filter. No problems.

Hi, just screw in the UV filter when your camera is in the off mode, if you are afraid that it might damage your AF mechanism. Just take care while srewing it on, don't over screw. Otherwise youl'll have problem removing it ;)

I'm not sure what kit lens you're referring to.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume most of the kit lenses are like the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.
On this lens, the front-most element is the focusing ring. In MF, the ring is free to rotate for you to adjust focusing. In AF, the ring is "clutched-in" to the AF motor, thus providing some resistance.

Like Rashkae advised, best to hold the focusing ring firmly whilst tightening the UV filter.

Hi, just screw in the UV filter when your camera is in the off mode, if you are afraid that it might damage your AF mechanism. Just take care while srewing it on, don't over screw. Otherwise youl'll have problem removing it ;)

does that means that the AF mechanism will be safe when the camera is off even if it moved it? i do know that we should not forcefully move it when it is ON and in AF mode.

I'm not sure what kit lens you're referring to.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume most of the kit lenses are like the Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.
On this lens, the front-most element is the focusing ring. In MF, the ring is free to rotate for you to adjust focusing. In AF, the ring is "clutched-in" to the AF motor, thus providing some resistance.

Like Rashkae advised, best to hold the focusing ring firmly whilst tightening the UV filter.

i'm using the default lens kit supplied with the sony alpha 230...

At the very last part, when the UV filter is against the focusing ring but you just want to secure it, you're likely to be exerting a fair amount of torque. All this torque has to be suppressed by the little plastic (I assume) gears that are connecting the focusing ring to the AF motor. Whether or not the camera is on makes no difference whatsoever.

Just hold the focusing ring and twist the filter with your other free hand.. problem solved.

If you are really skeptical why not bring it back to the shop and ask them to do it for you since this is a one time affair :)

i do know that we should not forcefully move it when it is ON and in AF mode.

At the very last part, when the UV filter is against the focusing ring but you just want to secure it, you're likely to be exerting a fair amount of torque. All this torque has to be suppressed by the little plastic (I assume) gears that are connecting the focusing ring to the AF motor. Whether or not the camera is on makes no difference whatsoever.

Just hold the focusing ring and twist the filter with your other free hand.. problem solved.

ZerocoolAstra is right. But if the AF mode is on instead of manual, then the lens will not rotate as you screw in the filter. ;)

Whenever you remove and place the filter back, power off and on camera. Some camera lens do go misalign with the protruding barrel is turned manually. Simply off/on will reset the lens. This is normal and will not damage the lens.

Just remember not to grip the turning barrel when the motor is turning, this will wear out the motor.

Regardless, user should not have too much tension when fitting the filter, if jammed, meaning either the filter is not align or thread is faulty.

Whenever you remove and place the filter back, power off and on camera. Some camera lens do go misalign with the protruding barrel is turned manually. Simply off/on will reset the lens. This is normal and will not damage the lens.

Just remember not to grip the turning barrel when the motor is turning, this will wear out the motor.

Regardless, user should not have too much tension when fitting the filter, if jammed, meaning either the filter is not align or thread is faulty.
Ya. Just screw on your filter normally and in any case, is there a problem, restart your camera. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.