question on megapixels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglion

Dec 11, 2009
Hi,

I have been reading a lot regarding sensor size/megapixels etc and I got a question.

If the conditions(brand, white balance, distance, light, sensor size, image processor) are the same and image size is set at say 1600x1200 pixels, would a 10MP camera produce better pictures than a 8MP camera?

examples 2 canons with digiIII, same sensor size, same object, same distance, same tripod, same image, same sensor size of 1/1.17. {I don't have two cameras to test myself}

Thanks,

Hi,

I have been reading a lot regarding sensor size/megapixels etc and I got a question.

If the conditions(brand, white balance, distance, light, sensor size, image processor) are the same and image size is set at say 1600x1200 pixels, would a 10MP camera produce better pictures than a 8MP camera?

examples 2 canons with digiIII, same sensor size, same object, same distance, same tripod, same image, same sensor size of 1/1.17. {I don't have two cameras to test myself}

Thanks,

I wouldn't say it can produce better image but it can produce a higher res image suitable for a larger print.

I wouldn't say it can produce better image but it can produce a higher res image suitable for a larger print.

Nope. The resolution is the same at 1600x1200.

Threadstarter, I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell any difference, especially since there are very little differences between 10 and 8 MP.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Even when the image size is set fixed at 1600x1200 pixels ?

Thanks,

Nope. The resolution is the same at 1600x1200.

Threadstarter, I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell any difference, especially since there are very little differences between 10 and 8 MP.

Sorry I overlooked the part on setting the same resolution heheheh :)

correct me if i'm wrong, i think the thing with megapixels is that, more of it will improve image quality only if those pixels can fill in more space in the picture frame. so suppose you have a 3 MP frame, if you put a 1 MP image on it, the image will look pixelated because there aren't enough pixels. if you put a 3 or 4 MP image on it, the image will look nicer because you'll be able to see more details, and the pixelation will disappear. if you then put a 5 MP image on it, there may be a difference but i doubt that people can see it

so i think it depends, the megapixel count in itself does not affect the image quality, only how big you can frame or print it, before it starts looking pixelated. i would say that the sensor is the one that can affect the IQ more than MP

At 2MP downsized, the difference between a 8 and 10MP will not be visible. A 1 to 1 exact framing comparison between the 4MP sensor will be sharper than 10MP but when you downsize both to 2MP, they look the same. The reverse will not be true for 4MP will loose detail with software extrapolated expansion.

Nevertheless a comparison for IQ on a native 4MP vs 10MP will never be equal because the latter image is 2.5 bigger, meaning you see a strand of hair 2.5x bigger on the same screen.

In most reviews/discussion, the high resolution issue is more with noise control in higher iso. But again, 8MP vs 10MP on APS-C is not significantly bad. Beyond yes.

well the different most prob is insignificant. but if there is any it maybe the noise.

so far, i believe that most ppl will agree that if sensor size is fixed, the manufacturing process the same. the lower pixel count sensor, the individual pixel will be bigger and bigger pixel will capture more light in the same given condition and thus require lesser amplifcation, thus lesser noise.

but then again the different that TS stated is just between a 10MP and a 8MP thus the diff should really be insignificant.

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers.
So if everything is set, inlcuding the sensor size and frame size at 1600x1200 pixels,

a camera with 5/6MP will produce a better result than a camera with 10MP because the individual pixels will be bigger and hence will capture more light in the same given conditions ?

Thanks,

Yes on the theory, no in physical products. You see, 5 and 6MP cameras are old models and processor engine and sensor techology are old. Thus the overall picture may not be superior.
For instance F30/F31 may be good at low light but general dynamic range, color are uncomparable to latest model.

Same goes for dSLR. E.g a D40 vs D90 image output, color is a huge difference.

Hi All,

a camera with 5/6MP will produce a better result than a camera with 10MP because the individual pixels will be bigger and hence will capture more light in the same given conditions ?

Thanks,

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers.
So if everything is set, inlcuding the sensor size and frame size at 1600x1200 pixels,

Thanks,

There are 2 factors.

First, the closer you are to the sensor's native resolution, the better the image quality would be.

Second, the newer the sensor technology, the better (usually) the image will be, all other things being equal.

i think its...

more megapixels with a higher pixel density will capture more detail since each pixel is "assigned" in a sense a smaller block of light
but at the same time
less megapixels means less noise because of the smaller pixel density.

somehow canon sortof defied physics with the 7d and 1dIV with their high iso performance though... still not quite sure how they managed to control it that well with that many pixels.... haha

1600X1200 = 1,920,000, which is about 2Megapixel.

For an 8Mpixel camera, 4 pixels are "averaged" into 1 final pixel.
For an 10Mpixel camera, 5 pixels are "averaged" into 1 final pixel.

*"Average" is very loosely used here.

I think it depends on the scene and assuming SNR of the sensor is sufficiently high. Might have corner cases where pictures with lots of details that a downsized 10Mpixel picture edges out. Just guessing.;p

Hi all, :embrass:

I wanted to upgrade my existing 4MP Digital Still Camera to a DSLR. I used my current DigiCam photo collection size 4R at most 8R. My question is, if I use DSLR and don't need to bloom big photo; will my 4 or 8R photos look sharper? Sorry, my question might be lame abit. What DSLR suitable for me as a newbie? :confused:

Any brand to recommend below 1K. ANd also why so many hobbyist selling their DSLR away? Camera too advance and under usage? or purchase out of impulse.:cry:

Help !!! :dunno:

Andrew Lee CK

When you downsize a higher megapixel image, it will appear sharper as compared to lower MP.

If you are a compact user, any entry DSLR will work fine confidently. Reason being you likely stay with P A S mode. Don't be surprise to encounter dSLR giving you initial poor light balance as compared to compact. That is because of the larger lens diameter, much more light entering (I think). You will soon learn to balance it with meter, EV.
You will also find that dSLR tends to be softer than compact but that is why it give a more natural image. And you will not have the zero distant macro of compact.

Raw will allow you to adjust the brightness more. Also "PASM" is not labelled in this order for no reason. Beginner starts from auto will progress to Program mode tweaking iso and EV, then up the level to AP because most learn by shooting static object and DOF before shifting to SP for moving object. Manual is the last stage. If learner jumps from P to M often encounter problem because to don't get to see DOF and speed effect separately.

Hi all, :embrass:

I wanted to upgrade my existing 4MP Digital Still Camera to a DSLR. I used my current DigiCam photo collection size 4R at most 8R. My question is, if I use DSLR and don't need to bloom big photo; will my 4 or 8R photos look sharper? Sorry, my question might be lame abit. What DSLR suitable for me as a newbie? :confused:

Any brand to recommend below 1K. ANd also why so many hobbyist selling their DSLR away? Camera too advance and under usage? or purchase out of impulse.:cry:

Help !!! :dunno:

Andrew Lee CK

Last edited:
I don't know why TS is asking such a question.. i wouldn't spend my brain power or time fussing over such issues. as long as image quality looks acceptable to you, then its fine. heck if its 8 or 10mp.

Thanks so much for the detail explainations. I might upgrade to DSLR between CANON NIKON or SONY. Any advise where to buy and which model suits best for new-Bird like me...:bsmilie:

Thanks...:lovegrin:

Thanks so much for the detail explainations. I might upgrade to DSLR between CANON NIKON or SONY. Any advise where to buy and which model suits best for new-Bird like me...:bsmilie:

Thanks...:lovegrin:

Where to buy? There are price guides and there are lists of shops here in the forum. The price guides have been compiled considering recommended shops. Which model? That's a matter of personal taste finally. After you found out that megapixels are not really relevant you can focus on the feel-good factor in your hand. So go to showrooms and shops and try hands on. Specs can be easily compared online.

Status
Not open for further replies.