Question on Kenko Teleconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... I'm thinking of getting a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter for my Canon EF 70-200mm f4 IS L USM.

I have a friend already using a kenko 1.4x.... and he said that AF is still enable when using it on the EF 70-200mm f4 IS.... But I saw on Kenko website, that they have a newer 1.5x teleconverter, which is meant as both a ''Macro and Telephoto Accessory''.... The model is - Kenko Telepus K1.5 AF SHQ DG. It could also be use on lens like Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro.

Kenko Teleplus K1.5 AF

Or

Kenko PRO 300 3.0x, 2.0x, 1.4x

My question is....

* Anyone use this newer teleconverter before.... any problem ??
* Althought the Spec is the same as the 1.4x, Can anyone confirm is the 70-200mm f4 AF still enable ??

Planning to go down to OP this friday to get it..... since both 1.4x & 1.5x sells for the same price..... don't know which to get. Any helpful suggestion ???..... but pls no 'Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia this or that' comment..... Feel free not to leave any comment if anyone felt answering is beneath his/her status... so that we all could have a nice day. Thxs :thumbsup:

A 1.4x TC will cut your native aperture by one stop. If your camera can perform AF with f/5.6, then it is usable with AF.

A 1.4x TC will cut your native aperture by one stop. If your camera can perform AF with f/5.6, then it is usable with AF.

Thxs.... I believe that my 400D could do better that AF at f5.6 , then in theory 1.5x or 1.4x doesn't matters..... Am I right ??

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro[/B]

Sorry, no real info to offer, but questions for you. How do you know it is compatible with the 100mm macro?

The price difference between this and the usual 1.4x teleconverters is very intriguing. The others cost around US$200. The Canon teleconverter is almost US$300. The skeptical part of me says there's always a reason for lower prices. Do post your opinion of this when you get a chance to see it. Google wasn't much help.

I see your sig changed - got the 70-200 in your hands already?

Edit : clarification on what I said about price. I got pricing from Adorama and B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7298/Photo_35mm_Teleconverters.html

Sorry, no real info to offer, but questions for you. How do you know it is compatible with the 100mm macro?

The price difference between this and the usual 1.4x teleconverters is very intriguing. The others cost around US$200. The Canon teleconverter is almost US$300. The skeptical part of me says there's always a reason for lower prices. Do post your opinion of this when you get a chance to see it. Google wasn't much help.

I see your sig changed - got the 70-200 in your hands already?

Edit : clarification on what I said about price. I got pricing from Adorama and B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7298/Photo_35mm_Teleconverters.html

This was written on the website....

Though many may not realize it, the Kenko K1.5 SHQ DG teleconverter is a powerful optic for macro photography.

An Example; the Tokina AT-X 100 PRO D 100mm f/2.8 macro lens will focus as close as 11 inches. At that distance the lens has a life-sized reproduction ratio of 1:1. This means that if the subject is only half an inch long it will be half an inch long on the film or CCD. The K1.5x SHQ DG converts the lens into an equivalent 150mm lens with a reasonably bright equivalent f/4 aperture with the same 11 inch minimum focusing distance. Now at 11 inches the reproduction ratio is larger than life sized, 1:0.75, which enters the realm of MICRO photography!

If the Tokina lens could use it..... the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 should be able too.... or at least thats what I'm hoping for :sweat:

OP in S'pore is selling the Kenko, both 1.4x & 1.5x at $200SGD...... and the Canon 1.4x is at least $600SGD..... Hahaha, I have to pay for a Root Canal this month.... already have to cancel my year ends Scuba Diving trip to pay my Dentist..... can't afford the extra $$$$ :bheart::sweat:

Anyway.... a few friends of mine 'claims' that the Kenko TC is as good as the Canon's TC.... but I'm sure they will BURN IN FLAME for such BLASPHEMY :bsmilie:

If the Tokina lens could use it..... the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 should be able too.... or at least thats what I'm hoping for :sweat:

Big assumption - but perhaps you can ask OP if they are willing to let you test with a 100mm.

OP in S'pore is selling the Kenko, both 1.4x & 1.5x at $200SGD...... and the Canon 1.4x is at least $600SGD.....

Your brother coming to U.S. again any time soon? :bsmilie: Actually if he's coming anywhere around S.F. area I don't mind buying then passing it to him.

S$600 for the Canon TC 1.4x? Ouch! Guess what I saw in my Amazon gold box today?

337465025_HDhyS-L.jpg

About S$375? Hehe... sorry. But still almost twice what the Kenko 1.5x costs in Singapore. And the Kenko is about US$91 including shipping. Strangely, the Kenko 1.4x is almost US$200.

Anyway.... a few friends of mine 'claims' that the Kenko TC is as good as the Canon's TC.... but I'm sure they will BURN IN FLAME for such BLASPHEMY :bsmilie:

You should talk - the one who sold his soul to get a 70-200F4L IS :bsmilie:

Big assumption - but perhaps you can ask OP if they are willing to let you test with a 100mm.

Your brother coming to U.S. again any time soon? :bsmilie: Actually if he's coming anywhere around S.F. area I don't mind buying then passing it to him.

S$600 for the Canon TC 1.4x? Ouch! Guess what I saw in my Amazon gold box today?

337465025_HDhyS-L.jpg

About S$375? Hehe... sorry. But still almost twice what the Kenko 1.5x costs in Singapore. And the Kenko is about US$91 including shipping. Strangely, the Kenko 1.4x is almost US$200.

You should talk - the one who sold his soul to get a 70-200F4L IS :bsmilie:

Hahaha.... Thxs Dude :thumbsup:

the kenko 1.4x is indeed as good as the canon 1.4x. I've tested both using the same lens before. Needless to say I sold the canon.

About compatability, the kenko will fit every canon EF lens including the 100mm macro and the 70-200mm f4. With the kenko on, the camera will still report the native aperture of the lens (at least mine does) ie 70-200 f4 will still show f4 on the camera unlike the canon TC which will show f5.6 on the camera. So there is a possibility that even is you use a f5,6 lens with the kenko the camera will still AF. Unlike the canon TC where all AF will the turned off.

I'm not sure about the 1,5x though, I've never used or seen 1 in the flesh before but the info that I gather from the net is that the 1.5x has less elements than the 1.4x and this normally translates to poorer performance. It seems that the 1.5x is launched as a cheaper version of the 1.4x TC (B&H seems to confirm this, dunno why price in SG is about the same for the 2 TC). Like how Tamron sells 2 ranges of TC, the SP (more ex and better quality) and the F.

Btw, all these jargon like "telephoto and macro" are just marketing BS. Any teleconverter has the ability to increase the max magnification of your lens. EG. if your 100mm macro can got to 1:1 natively, with a 2x TC it will be able to go to 2:1, with a 1.4x TC it will be able to go to 1.4:1 etc

I'm not sure about the 1,5x though, I've never used or seen 1 in the flesh before but the info that I gather from the net is that the 1.5x has less elements than the 1.4x and this normally translates to poorer performance. It seems that the 1.5x is launched as a cheaper version of the 1.4x TC (B&H seems to confirm this, dunno why price in SG is about the same for the 2 TC). Like how Tamron sells 2 ranges of TC, the SP (more ex and better quality) and the F.

Thanks, that's good to know. If the 1.4x and 1.5x costs the same in Singapore, TS should buy the 1.4x instead (esp. considering how it is cheaper than U.S. price).

Update....

Just got my Kenko 1.5x TC this afternoon....... Tested it about an hour ago.

1) The AF works on the EF 70-200mm f4 IS.
2) In low light, the lens do hunt quite a bit.
3) OP really sell both 1.4x or 1.5x at $200...... since AF works, rather have the 1.5x :bsmilie:
4) Like zj2000 said.... the camera shows f4 even if it is really at f5.6 ..... a note that comes with the TC DID INFORM you of such a thing..... :thumbsup:
5) Sorry, no time to really test the Lens.... rainning Elephant & Rhino around Woodlands now :sweat: Was thinking of doing a 'Moon' shoot before the downpour.

Now have to borrow a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro to test the Kenko 1.5x TC :bsmilie:

Opps.... too late. I just have to live with it for now.... :bsmilie:

Hi.... test shot of the full moon

ISO100, f5.6 (due to TC), 1/200sec, 200mm x 1.5 x 1.6
70-200.jpg

Hi.... test shot of the full moon

ISO100, f5.6 (due to TC), 1/200sec, 200mm x 1.5 x 1.6

Thanks for the test shot. I just ordered the Canon 1.4x TC (you're a bad influence), will test it with a moon shot after I get it (hopefully today or tomorrow).

So, regarding your shot, was it tripod, manual focus, mirror lock up? How much sharpening?

Thanks for the test shot. I just ordered the Canon 1.4x TC (you're a bad influence), will test it with a moon shot after I get it (hopefully today or tomorrow).

So, regarding your shot, was it tripod, manual focus, mirror lock up? How much sharpening?

Hand held.... with IS, shot in RAW and slightly increase the 'Dark' in Adobe Lightroom. No sharpening was used. Using the high shutter speed to 'reduce' the light on the surface of the moon and keeping 'Bluring' away..... :D

Now praying for cloudless night for the next few days..... waiting for some shadows to fall across the Moon's surface to give better contrast and highlighting crater on the moon. :thumbsup:

Received my teleconverter last weekend, but the nights had been cloudy (unusual). Finally got a clear night tonight. Shot a few pics of the moon. This is one of the better ones.

356671765_ApFN3-L.jpg

Canon 20D with EF 100-400L @ 400 with 1.4x teleconverter, 1/60 seconds, f/11 (EXIF says f/8 because pins was taped). ISO 200.

Original size : http://www.smugmug.com/photos/356671765_ApFN3-O.jpg

Tried taping the pins for auto focus. I don't think it's very healthy for the lens - the AF motor stutters. Again, I wish I have LiveView for focusing.

Tried shooting Jupiter, but couldn't make out any details. Even with the combo it's only slightly more than 20 pixels across with my 20D.

Edit : I noticed that EXIF says 380mm - wonder if it is an artifact of taping the pins, or if I did not extend the lens fully. I did check the lens, and locked it down, but it could still be user error - it is close to 2 a.m. after all.

Last edited:
hi, sorry to OT here,
im a nikon user, using the 70-200 F2.8 i read somewhere before that this lens doest work with a TC? is that true, anyone can explain?

Received my teleconverter last weekend, but the nights had been cloudy (unusual). Finally got a clear night tonight. Shot a few pics of the moon. This is one of the better ones.

356671765_ApFN3-L.jpg

Canon 20D with EF 100-400L @ 400 with 1.4x teleconverter, 1/60 seconds, f/11 (EXIF says f/8 because pins was taped). ISO 200.

Original size : http://www.smugmug.com/photos/356671765_ApFN3-O.jpg

Tried taping the pins for auto focus. I don't think it's very healthy for the lens - the AF motor stutters. Again, I wish I have LiveView for focusing.

Tried shooting Jupiter, but couldn't make out any details. Even with the combo it's only slightly more than 20 pixels across with my 20D.

Edit : I noticed that EXIF says 380mm - wonder if it is an artifact of taping the pins, or if I did not extend the lens fully. I did check the lens, and locked it down, but it could still be user error - it is close to 2 a.m. after all.

Wow..... can see those Crater so clearly !! :eek:

Man..... must get myself a 100-400mm too :( :sweat:

hi, sorry to OT here,
im a nikon user, using the 70-200 F2.8 i read somewhere before that this lens doest work with a TC? is that true, anyone can explain?

Sorry.... not too sure. But if this lens could use Nikon's own TC..... then shouldn't be a problem at all. You might want to ask this question at the Nikon Section.... :thumbsup:

Wow..... can see those Crater so clearly !! :eek:

Man..... must get myself a 100-400mm too :( :sweat:

:bsmilie: I guess we're bad influences to each other.

Can always wait for the next time your brother visits the U.S. again - preferably around end of the year, when Canon will have their Fall rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.