Question on Humidity and Dry Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleuwhale

Jan 2, 2006
Hi Guys.

Am new to this site and photography in general, and so am deeply sorry if this question has been asked and answered.

1) I had just purchased a Canon 20D and would like to know what humidity
percentage/level I should best store it at. I am using Digi-Cabi 30l (db-036) model.

2) Additionally, is it ok to store lenses which might already be infected with fungi with my
new DSLR and Lenses if I maintain the optimum humidity range?

Thanks a million..and sorry for my ignorance.

Regards

-Bleu

1) Humidity range recommendation from manufacturers normally is 40-50%. Recommendations by users in SG is 45-55%. Within these 2 ranges should be ok. I using the same model of dry cabi as u, normally 47-49% when i store.

2) This i not sure :think: but its always advise to clear the fungi 1st thou.

I also have the same dry cabi. I saw from the info sheet that 40-50% is the recommended range for video camera. camera, etc. For 30-40%, the range stops oxidation and is good for electronics. For <30%, the range is or things like medicine, tea, etc.

My question is: Is 40-50% the only recommended range (& user shld not fall out of range) or is it the range that is the the maximum tolerance for the camera in an optimum RH (ie, the range can actually go lower without harming the camera & lens).

My question stem from the basis that how would a dry condition harm the lens?

Thanks!

RainbowSix said:
I also have the same dry cabi. I saw from the info sheet that 40-50% is the recommended range for video camera. camera, etc. For 30-40%, the range stops oxidation and is good for electronics. For <30%, the range is or things like medicine, tea, etc.

My question is: Is 40-50% the only recommended range (& user shld not fall out of range) or is it the range that is the the maximum tolerance for the camera in an optimum RH (ie, the range can actually go lower without harming the camera & lens).

My question stem from the basis that how would a dry condition harm the lens?

Thanks!

well....if u store ur lens in too dry conditions, the rubber rings may crack.......

I usually leave my camera in ard 50%....but of coz if u really wan test the limit, u can always store urs under the recommended limit...

scramblur11 said:
well....if u store ur lens in too dry conditions, the rubber rings may crack.......

I've seen this claim a lot on this forum. Does anyone have a reference for this, or is this maybe just an urban legend?

LittleWolf said:
I've seen this claim a lot on this forum. Does anyone have a reference for this, or is this maybe just an urban legend?

I hope it IS an 'urban legend'. That would make things easier and more flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.