Question on Humidity and Dry Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleuwhale

Jan 2, 2006
Hi Guys.

Am new to this site and photography in general, and so am deeply sorry if this question has been asked and answered.

1) I had just purchased a Canon 20D and would like to know what humidity
percentage/level I should best store it at. I am using Digi-Cabi 30l (db-036) model.

2) Additionally, is it ok to store lenses which might already be infected with fungi with my
new DSLR and Lenses if I maintain the optimum humidity range?

Thanks a million..and sorry for my ignorance.

Regards

-Bleu

Hi there...

A humidity of around 40% will be fine and keep your infected lense away from the new equipment. Fungi propagate by spores which is airborne. Even though the spores might be inactive, the next time you take your equipment out of the cabinet, they will be able to get all the moisture they need given Singapore's humid climate.

If your lens is already infected with fungii there's no need to keep it in the dri cabi. Qickly send it in for service as initial stages of fungii can be removed. Once the fungii gets too bad and for too long, the lens must throw liao.

Heartshape said:
If your lens is already infected with fungii there's no need to keep it in the dri cabi. Qickly send it in for service as initial stages of fungii can be removed. Once the fungii gets too bad and for too long, the lens must throw liao.
Don't throw away any lens...:bigeyes:

use it as paper weight lah...:bsmilie:

../azul123

Heartshape said:

Hmmm :think:
I'm storing my DSLR and lenses with my Ixus and DV camcorder.
How do I know if the P&S and camcorder is infected? I meant they are still producing crisp pictures, couldn't the fungi grow somewhere else inside the camera housing?

Bleuwhale said:
Hi Guys.

Am new to this site and photography in general, and so am deeply sorry if this question has been asked and answered.

1) I had just purchased a Canon 20D and would like to know what humidity
percentage/level I should best store it at. I am using Digi-Cabi 30l (db-036) model.

2) Additionally, is it ok to store lenses which might already be infected with fungi with my
new DSLR and Lenses if I maintain the optimum humidity range?

Thanks a million..and sorry for my ignorance.

Regards

-Bleu

In answer to your questions...from another newbie as well :bsmilie:

1) Some say 40-50%, others say 45-55%. I put somewhere in the middle... at 48% :bsmilie:

2) No. Its best not to. The dry cabinet will only slow growth and not prevent growth. It might spread to your other lenses if you store them together. Why take the risk? :dunno:

Thanks a million, you guys !

Am just back from BMT and therefore had not replied to your kind replies.

I do truly appreciate your comments. For those using the Digi-Cabi as I do, I belive a common problem faced would be the ever dropping humidity level [of the cabinet] even though the setting had been placed at a very low level already.

All in all, thanks for your kind comments.

Bleuwhale said:
Thanks a million, you guys !

Am just back from BMT and therefore had not replied to your kind replies.

I do truly appreciate your comments. For those using the Digi-Cabi as I do, I belive a common problem faced would be the ever dropping humidity level [of the cabinet] even though the setting had been placed at a very low level already.

All in all, thanks for your kind comments.

nope.. I am using this brand too.
It is working well for 4 years liow. Setting ? not really at low level.
(min level can reach ~34% RH)
Err... may be you need to check this ...

There is a gap near the adjusment potensiometer (two LEDs), use tissue to dry up extra excessive "water" (don't know why can't be drained). HOpe can help you
Spore is so humid (wet) nowadays. It can be seen so obviously when you open up your
dry cabinet. The %RH will go up to 65%. Need 1.5days to reach 35~45%

I remember reading from somewhere that around 40-60 % Relative Humidity is the best because if it's too dry, the grease in the lense mechanism dries up as well.

Just my 2 cents

read it in a photography book 45-55% would be best:)

Yes, saw on the dry cabinet manual also stated 45-55%. Not too low ....

ExplorerZ said:
read it in a photography book 45-55% would be best:)

Status
Not open for further replies.