Not open for further replies.

visage356

Deregistered
Aug 13, 2009
West
Hey guys noob here hope those who have more experience can help

I'm thinking of getting a GND to photograph landscapes and have a few qns:

Hoya NDx4 any good?
Can the filter be turned to adjust the orientation like CPLs?
Rotating front element - any problems? (like need to re-orientate the filter-I'm using EF-S 18-55)

Any filter recommendations are welcome as well.

Also, I'm looking at the Lowepro Slingshot 100/200 AW and Tamrac Velocity 7x

Anyone knows a good shop with good prices that will let customers try out bags? Preferably CBD area.

Thanks for reading.

Penisula Plaza area is a good hunt for camera bags :thumbsup:- City hall station

ND filters do not hv a rotating front to polarize...only CPL filter...

for the bags, u can try out Cathay

NDx4 is ND filter,GND is another kind of filter,you can try cokin p series,tianya,or if you have the dough sing ray or lee

1) ndx4 is not gnd. nd is neutral density filter, why there is a G in front of gnd is because it is GRADUATED NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER.

2) nd filter, rotating front element no problem, whole thing same consistency.

3) gnd filter, rotating front element, if it is SCREW IN TYPE ( which i think is very silly, horizon line fixed).. yes, problem. if it is SLOT IN TYPE (cokin p series, tianya , etc).. then not a problem, very simple to adjust the filter holder around the ring that you attach to your lens.

4) peninsula plaza and funan have: alan photo, cathay photo, john 3:16

5) bugis area have alan photo, orient photo at sim lim square.

6) please do homework before buying to avoid coming back here to clubsnap and complain about being chopped. the above shops are good, doesn't mean they don't chop a bit also, especially AP.

7) i think you have a very loose and watery idea of what nd/gnd are.. please do a read up

here is a very simple web page that you can read:
http://www.all-things-photography.com/photographic-filters.html

you can also check out SINGH RAY and LEE FILTERS website to see what their filters do.. they have a lot of things.. singh ray also shows what their filters do with pictures, etc.

as newbie, always do research on internet before entering a camera shop.

from the internet, you will be able to find out the approx price of the item of interest

from the internet, you will know the pros/cons/reviews of the item of interest

armed with this info, you will be better prepared for salesman who quote arbitrary prices.

if u just walk in to camera shop not knowing the above, high risk of getting chopped.

GND can get from Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza or try Orient Photo (OP) at Sim Lim Sq. You will need to buy the filter (only 2-stop available for Cokin, 3-stop Cokin out of stock everywhere I asked), the holder (there's a wide angle version) and an adaptor ring.

Tamrac bags OP have. Saw the Velocity 10x and 5x. Got my 9x from there but no stock now. Not sure about 7x. SLR Revolution at Funan also carries Tamrac Velocity series but not stocked up as well as OP. They might be cheaper but you gotta wait if you order from them. Both shops allow you to try out the bags.

1) ndx4 is not gnd. nd is neutral density filter, why there is a G in front of gnd is because it is GRADUATED NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER.

2) nd filter, rotating front element no problem, whole thing same consistency.

3) gnd filter, rotating front element, if it is SCREW IN TYPE ( which i think is very silly, horizon line fixed).. yes, problem. if it is SLOT IN TYPE (cokin p series, tianya , etc).. then not a problem, very simple to adjust the filter holder around the ring that you attach to your lens.

4) peninsula plaza and funan have: alan photo, cathay photo, john 3:16

5) bugis area have alan photo, orient photo at sim lim square.

6) please do homework before buying to avoid coming back here to clubsnap and complain about being chopped. the above shops are good, doesn't mean they don't chop a bit also, especially AP.

7) i think you have a very loose and watery idea of what nd/gnd are.. please do a read up

here is a very simple web page that you can read:
http://www.all-things-photography.com/photographic-filters.html

you can also check out SINGH RAY and LEE FILTERS website to see what their filters do.. they have a lot of things.. singh ray also shows what their filters do with pictures, etc.

Eh lol sorry i didn't make myself clear. Was referring to half NDx4 by Hoya. Believe that's a GND.

Yup don't worry I'll do my research before going to buy. Getting quotes by phone & email & checking prices online.

Thanks CamInit for the advice on where to get the stuff.

Seems like the square filter holder is the way to go... screw in a bit weird. Thanks for all the advice :)

ND filters, GND filters and CPL filters all works differently.
Do read up about it. ;)

For camera bags, try the shop in front of Prime Camera.
It is near the Cathay Photo outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.