Question on Gitzo Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitsugaya

Nov 24, 2009
Happy Lunar New Year everyone!!! :vhappy: :cheers:

i am looking for a tripod and read quite a fair bit of threads on tripods.. Realised that Manfrotto & Gitzo are the more common ones.. and there are quite a fair bit of ppl recommending Gitzo for it's light-weight.

I went to the Gitzo webby and tried out the configuration tool and it shortlisted GT542L.

Anyone has any recommendation on this model? Most of the cs-er recommends 1541 gitzo tripod based on the threads which i've read.

Camera Eqpt
Canon 500D (480g)
70-200 f/4.0 (760g)
580EX II (525g)
+ maybe grip

Height is 1.68m.

the reason why i narrowed my selection to gitzo is because of the light weight.. i mean if the tripod is heavy I am less inclined to carry it around be it in singapore or overseas.

;)

Most CF tripods from other brands will be light too. I'm not one to invest heavily on branded tripods, so I'll recommend Sirui, Benro or even Slik for affordable quality tripods.

I would personally reommend GT1541T (the Traveller's series).
REally small and light.
You would most likely not need another tripod for a long long time.

I have both Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods (055CX3 and 1541T). The Gitzo is no doubt much lighter than my manfrotto and I treat it as my travel tripod when I go abroad. However for serious work especially when tripod weight is not an issue, I pick up my 055CX3 anytime. :)

Depends on what you think the bulk of your tripod usage will consist of down the road? Sounds like you're looking for a lighter, compact model (based on the Gitzo website) so I'm guessing trekking or travelling. In that case, definitely you need to have a carbon fibre tripod. Anything other than CF and I feel you will definitely going to regret the extra weight. There are many brands with CF models, Gitzo being the most reputable and expensive. But you can consider other brands like Slik, Benro & Manfrotto too. Mine's a Velbon, it's light and compact enough and a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than Gitzos so can't really complain as I think it's more than enough for the couple of times I will use it a year max. If weight is not a problem, just get the biggest, baddest tripod with a huge load capacity haha.

Most CF tripods from other brands will be light too. I'm not one to invest heavily on branded tripods, so I'll recommend Sirui, Benro or even Slik for affordable quality tripods.

Thanks for the advice :) I'm all ears to other brands as well.. you have any recommendation for based on the above info? ;p

I would personally reommend GT1541T (the Traveller's series).
REally small and light.
You would most likely not need another tripod for a long long time.

Thanks! However, I realised alot of ppl are using GT1541T but when i use the configuration tool in Gitzo website, it wasnt able to support the camera specs which i listed. I mean it's light but is it stable for the above set-up? :)

Welcome to CS :)

Thanks mate~

I have both Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods (055CX3 and 1541T). The Gitzo is no doubt much lighter than my manfrotto and I treat it as my travel tripod when I go abroad. However for serious work especially when tripod weight is not an issue, I pick up my 055CX3 anytime. :)

One qns.. if both are equally capable of getting the right results, then why 055CX3 over 1541T if it is for serious work only?

One qns.. if both are equally capable of getting the right results, then why 055CX3 over 1541T if it is for serious work only?

Most tripods are capable of getting the right results, but there are other factors to consider like stability, dampening and so on. If you need to move away from your camera (less likely on travels) or you shooting in heavy winds, then a heavier and more stable tripod would serve you better despite both being "equally capable of getting the right results".

yes Ken is right, the main reason I go use my 055CX3 for serious work is because the Manfrotto has much thicker legs and it is more stable (due to 3 segments as compare to 4 segments on the 1541T). I tend to hang my entire camera bag under the 055CX3 but I have doubts doing the same on the Gitzo. The legs on the Gitzo, especially the last (4th) segment is as thin as my finger!

yes Ken is right, the main reason I go use my 055CX3 for serious work is because the Manfrotto has much thicker legs and it is more stable (due to 3 segments as compare to 4 segments on the 1541T). I tend to hang my entire camera bag under the 055CX3 but I have doubts doing the same on the Gitzo. The legs on the Gitzo, especially the last (4th) segment is as thin as my finger!

Haha... our good brother yrh0413 here is indeed a very careful person.
But I think really there is no need to worry lah. A Gitzo is not called a Gitzo for nothing. Sincerely, that is how confident I am of it.

Thanks! However, I realised alot of ppl are using GT1541T but when i use the configuration tool in Gitzo website, it wasnt able to support the camera specs which i listed. I mean it's light but is it stable for the above set-up? :)

Your set up as above may be at most 2kg with the BG and batteries in.
Plus a ballhead which is about 300gm.
Truly not a problem at all for the 1 series.

to be honest, doesn't matter, as long as you get a reliable brand.

you don't necessarily have to get gitzo or manfrotto because they're the norm. to do so is just sad. to be honest, i think manfrotto's price is fair enough. gitzo is definitely a notch up quality wise, but as a hobbyist, i find it hard to justify that price range sometimes.

another good brand that i would recommend is giottos.

slik has gotten a bit less reliable in recent years, if you ask me. a bit skimpy on materials and the like. velbon and benro are also good reliable brands.

Price aside, if you're looking for the lightest but sturdy enough tripod that can support a fair amount of equipment, and still be able to fit the tripod into your backpack to free up both hands, 1541T would be a good contender. But it's a bit too expensive.

I read that it is able to support D700 + 70-200 2.8 without problems. Can't remember the exact setup though. You might want to read this great review and 46 pages of info :p
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=538298

Someone tried it with the 400L lens and looks fine but of course, even if the tripod can support it, stability + dampening etc will be compromised.

If you are on a tight budget, u might want to consider Benro. Their product's design are based on the popular brand name models. U might want to visit the benro showroom at penisular shopping centre to have a closer look. I'm currently using Manfrotto which is pretty good value too compared to a Gitzo.

Happy Lunar New Year everyone!!! :vhappy: :cheers:

I went to the Gitzo webby and tried out the configuration tool and it shortlisted GT542L.

;)

Do you mean GT2542L instead?

I'm using it. It very light for the height it can go. Remove the centre column and add a Markins tripod base, it can go really low. The only downside is it is not as short and as portable as traveler series. Hope this helps ;)

Can consider Sirui

You may read the review by CS member in Others subforum

Gitzo, the first thing that comes into my mind is its price; very very pricey especially when you compare with Manfrotto and others. However I do have to admit that you can't really find a light and sturdy travel tripod than the 1541T.

Personally I only stick to major brands like Gitzo and Manfrotto. I expect my tripods to outlive all my gears and I do not expect any upgrades in near future... that's just me :)

I'm actually going to go with Gitzo after owning a manfrotto, its good, but I was too cheap and bought a compact tripod that isn't enough for my usage.

So this time don't cheap and going for Gitzo.

I'm going to buy the GT1830 when it comes out.

Depends on what you think the bulk of your tripod usage will consist of down the road? Sounds like you're looking for a lighter, compact model (based on the Gitzo website) so I'm guessing trekking or travelling. In that case, definitely you need to have a carbon fibre tripod. Anything other than CF and I feel you will definitely going to regret the extra weight. There are many brands with CF models, Gitzo being the most reputable and expensive. But you can consider other brands like Slik, Benro & Manfrotto too. Mine's a Velbon, it's light and compact enough and a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than Gitzos so can't really complain as I think it's more than enough for the couple of times I will use it a year max. If weight is not a problem, just get the biggest, baddest tripod with a huge load capacity haha.

Thanks for the advice, I agreed with your statement that the usage in a year because it might be too costly if i calculate Gitzo /usage per year

Most tripods are capable of getting the right results, but there are other factors to consider like stability, dampening and so on. If you need to move away from your camera (less likely on travels) or you shooting in heavy winds, then a heavier and more stable tripod would serve you better despite both being "equally capable of getting the right results".

Point noted. ;)

Yup, I've read about the segments for tripod (more segments less stable i think)
Having said that, may i know how much does it weigh for your setup (055CX3).

Haha... our good brother yrh0413 here is indeed a very careful person.
But I think really there is no need to worry lah. A Gitzo is not called a Gitzo for nothing. Sincerely, that is how confident I am of it.

Your set up as above may be at most 2kg with the BG and batteries in.
Plus a ballhead which is about 300gm.
Truly not a problem at all for the 1 series.

Okay, because the configurator does not show the 1 series as the shortlisted models based on the requirement i've set thus i am alil skeptical whether 1 series is being compromised by other because of the light weight.

to be honest, doesn't matter, as long as you get a reliable brand.

you don't necessarily have to get gitzo or manfrotto because they're the norm. to do so is just sad. to be honest, i think manfrotto's price is fair enough. gitzo is definitely a notch up quality wise, but as a hobbyist, i find it hard to justify that price range sometimes.

another good brand that i would recommend is giottos.

slik has gotten a bit less reliable in recent years, if you ask me. a bit skimpy on materials and the like. velbon and benro are also good reliable brands.

Yep, totally agreed. I would like to find a balance between the stability and price as well, i mean we have to be realistic that good things aint cheap. definitely open to other brands, in fact i've browsed manfrotto website for its range.

Price aside, if you're looking for the lightest but sturdy enough tripod that can support a fair amount of equipment, and still be able to fit the tripod into your backpack to free up both hands, 1541T would be a good contender. But it's a bit too expensive.

I read that it is able to support D700 + 70-200 2.8 without problems. Can't remember the exact setup though. You might want to read this great review and 46 pages of info :p
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=538298

Someone tried it with the 400L lens and looks fine but of course, even if the tripod can support it, stability + dampening etc will be compromised.

thanks for the link! ;)

If you are on a tight budget, u might want to consider Benro. Their product's design are based on the popular brand name models. U might want to visit the benro showroom at penisular shopping centre to have a closer look. I'm currently using Manfrotto which is pretty good value too compared to a Gitzo.

care to share which model of manfrotto u are using?

Do you mean GT2542L instead?

I'm using it. It very light for the height it can go. Remove the centre column and add a Markins tripod base, it can go really low. The only downside is it is not as short and as portable as traveler series. Hope this helps ;)

Can consider Sirui

You may read the review by CS member in Others subforum

Yes, i meant the GT2542L model. (How much does it weigh?)

Gitzo, the first thing that comes into my mind is its price; very very pricey especially when you compare with Manfrotto and others. However I do have to admit that you can't really find a light and sturdy travel tripod than the 1541T.

Personally I only stick to major brands like Gitzo and Manfrotto. I expect my tripods to outlive all my gears and I do not expect any upgrades in near future... that's just me :)

Hhahaha agreed on the part of future upgrades, that why for dry cabinet i also purchased a much bigger model because it doesnt make any economic sense to buy a model that fits well currently and offers no room for upgrade. (Rather over-kill abit)

I'm actually going to go with Gitzo after owning a manfrotto, its good, but I was too cheap and bought a compact tripod that isn't enough for my usage.

So this time don't cheap and going for Gitzo.

I'm going to buy the GT1830 when it comes out.

Mind sharing ur experience with using a manfrotto?

Status
Not open for further replies.