Question on flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChenGuy

May 18, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi, guys. i recently got myself a flash. Nissin Di866 mounted on my d80. 1st time bringing it out tonight for my mum bday dinner. Was suppose to take a group photo for family, But somehow i jus couldnt get the right exposure, only the table with the white cloth got the right exposure. I need some help here.
My settings are as followed.
ISO200
F5.6
1/30
Flash bounced off celling of abt 3m.

When i zoomed in to my mum with the cake and leaving out the table things look fine. can some one guide me pls. Thanks in advance

The white table cloth caused the flash's TTL reading to underexpose (to prevent that white cloth from overexposing so it turned it to midtone), just like how your camera's reflective metering works. You have to use flash exposure compensation or flash exposure lock (on the human subjects) to tell the flash which is your primary subject to expose properly.

The white table cloth caused the flash's TTL reading to underexpose (to prevent that white cloth from overexposing so it turned it to midtone), just like how your camera's reflective metering works. You have to use flash exposure compensation or flash exposure lock (on the human subjects) to tell the flash which is your primary subject to expose properly.

Ohh, So i first compose my pic with out the table cloth, den recompose it. while holding down the Flash ev lock. den will the table cloth be over expose?

Usually if you are using "Program" mode or "Aperture Priority" Mode with your D80's internal menu setting: "min shutter speed for flash at 1/30s or 1/60s and not slower", using TTL Flash such as your Nissin, and setting your flash mode to "normal" flash, bouncing to the white ceiling as you have mentioned(unless you bounced incorrectly), the image should not be what you have described.

Double check your camera settings: (my personal experience)
1. ISO400 is better
2. Use Program or Aperture Priority(with shutter speed not slower than 1/30s to prevent motion blur- this can be set in menu)
3. Set Flash mode - If you want background to be seen brighter, use Rear Curtain, or Slow Speed Synchro
4. Make sure Nissin Flash is on TTL mode
5. Make sure you bounce correctly (It's like playing Snooker!)
6. Use Matrix-Metering or Centre-weighted is fine.

Hi, guys. i recently got myself a flash. Nissin Di866 mounted on my d80. 1st time bringing it out tonight for my mum bday dinner. Was suppose to take a group photo for family, But somehow i jus couldnt get the right exposure, only the table with the white cloth got the right exposure. I need some help here.
My settings are as followed.
ISO200
F5.6
1/30
Flash bounced off celling of abt 3m.

When i zoomed in to my mum with the cake and leaving out the table things look fine. can some one guide me pls. Thanks in advance

Flash exposure is a whole different science esp. when you are using a 3rd party flash in the mix. First of all, check the exposure without the flash on, is it sufficient? Under by 1 stop or 2 stops?

With an indoors scene with only normal lighting, I believe that you may need to increase the ISO to at least 400. I assume you meant bounce off a ceiling with 3m distance to the subjects, this should be sufficient if you're not using the flash as the main form of illumincation. And only using it as a fill.

The best thing is to practise at home with your gear and learn which is the best setting for different scenarios and distances.

Metering at different areas can make a whole lot of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.