Question on Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsBunny

Oct 16, 2006
Need some enlightenment for a total photography noob here on the use of flash.

I was trying out the 430EX flash few days back to do some casual shoots at a personal indoor event. I realised that when I try to take pix continously, one after another, in short time intervals (need not be immediately), some of my shots will turn out to be underexposed (dark).
Why? :dunno:
Is it that the flash cannot charge up in time?
Is there any settings that I'll need to set on the flash/camera to avoid this again?
Does the type of batteries I use have any effect too?

can the CS gurus advice? :sweatsm:

Thanks! :)

Hi, i am not a gurus or what ever just sharing this things only,
1) Yes you are right on what you saying , the flash is not able to charge up in time for your next shoot ( Not fully charge yet )

2) Try using TTL or RPT shoot if you are trying to shoot some continous shots.

3) Yes the type of batteries do effect your flash too. so far i am using Panasonic Alkaline which i think is good too.

If you are not using Flash ( day time ) then you can have good exposed pictures. if its at night and you need cont. photo with flash then its a bit hard to get good exposed photos

Happy shooting

Thanks Robert! ;)

Does that mean that the batteries will affect how fast the flash charge up too? So what's the best batteries to use for flash then? I was using powerex 2700 rechargables. :sweatsm:

i have the same flash and can shoot consecutively without it underexposing so i don't think its the flash itself as the cycle time is fast enough.

i'm using Varta rechargeable NiMH batteries (2000mAh). it could be due to the flash not reaching the subject properly - maybe cos the TTL hasn't recognised the distance of the subject and hasn't adjusted the flash accordingly? (i'm not 100% sure on how it works)

sorry the questions may sound very silly ... but I'm a total newbie in photography, especially flash. :embrass:

I realised that when I try to take pix continously, one after another, in short time intervals (need not be immediately), some of my shots will turn out to be underexposed (dark).
Why? The flash has not recharge due to rapid fire.

Is it that the flash cannot charge up in time? Yes.

Is there any settings that I'll need to set on the flash/camera to avoid this again?
#1, slow down your shoot
#2, use bigger f stop
#3, use higher ISO
#4, go closer to your subjects
#5, change new batteries for your flash
#6, use battery pack for your flash

Yes, basically higher mAh batteries can recharge faster and have higher capacity.

Your powerex 2700 batteries is good enough. just make sure they are fully charge before use.

thanks Robert, Dan, and Catchlights for your enlightenment! :)

Glad to have joined this forum! :thumbsup: Really alot to learn from the gurus in CS for a noob like me.

I guess having Quantum battery pack is still the best?

It must be quite expensive. :sweat:

Yes. Read the manual.

Battery type will determine recycle time of flash. Ni-MH will have faster recycle than Alkaline. Using 5th battery or SD-8A high voltage battery pack (as in Nikon SB-800) will help you get faster recycle time.

Capacity of battery will determine how much flashes from full/new battery. Say 2000mAH can give 100 flashes, 2700mAH cam give 150 flashes.

Regards,
Arto.

I guess having Quantum battery pack is still the best?

It must be quite expensive. :sweat:

not quite they r sold $20 per pack i guess i got mine for $15 recently due to the charger i bought

Ohhh...means like those AA sized ones in a pack?
this is a quantum battery 1+ I used to have, you can use the module (cable) to connect the battery and the flash, just insert into the flash battery compartment and fastener it.

DSC_0625.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.