Question on flash usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitlies

Feb 6, 2008
When using a PnS, how do you ensure that your flash doesn't make the subjects your photos look flat?

i would mount a speedlight at the back 45 degrees on the left and turn on the light trigger, then I would put another light 45 degree on the right top of the subject and also turn on the light trigger... both set to 1/4 of the power and shoot with my PnS...

get what I mean ?

wat desaintlights mentioned would be effective, but dat one quite complicated eh... if juz the cam, i tink i would set it at slow-sync... that way.. ur background will be illuminated as well... so ur subject won't really stand out so much like ghost..

i would mount a speedlight at the back 45 degrees on the left and turn on the light trigger, then I would put another light 45 degree on the right top of the subject and also turn on the light trigger... both set to 1/4 of the power and shoot with my PnS...

get what I mean ?

that's quite a set up.. :S considering that threadstarter shoots with a compact camera..

that's why.... PnS flash doesn't work well.... hence the lighting is always harsh and flat..... :)

unless, there is other source of lighting, else the built-in flash is of no use.... :)

try a tripod and use slow sync flash or use a card and redirect the flash light and bounce off the ceiling or wall

yeahh but at least i get another point of view, pun intended! credits to desaintlights! but ortega's way sounds much more... economical? haha

"use a card and redirect the flash light and bounce off the ceiling or wall" i've read it quite a lot of times but usually i see it being used with hotshoe flashes, if that's the correct term. but can it be used if my cam has a pop-up one eg in Panny FZ50?

you need to custom made the flash bouncer card to fit your camera.... and yes, it works under certain condition (providing you have some light surface area to bounce off the light, there are places where u simple have nowhere to bounce the flash off).... trial and error type, if you ask me.

i used to use one of the star bucks paper cup (small size) and put it on top of my flash to act as a diffuser.... it works certain time... :)

by the way, you can get cheapo china-made brandless flash (with built in optical trigger) at less than SGD30 to act as ur rear-lighting... :)

cheers :)

you got to hold the card with your hands or get a slave flash and use the pop-up flash to trigger the slave flash

When using a PnS, how do you ensure that your flash doesn't make the subjects your photos look flat?
depends on the background and your angle of shooting. If in doubt, do burst shots at different angles....out of them there ought to be a few good ones. Thats what i did with an old Sony and more or less out of of all of them, high chance i got one that i wanted.

alright so what i can grasp is that i either use a 1) diffuser or 2) bounce card so that the flash won't be so harsh on my subjects.

hmmm that's an alternative too Flashbulb but with all due respect im looking at improving my techniques rather than depending on luck.

alright so what i can grasp is that i either use a 1) diffuser or 2) bounce card so that the flash won't be so harsh on my subjects.

hmmm that's an alternative too Flashbulb but with all due respect im looking at improving my techniques rather than depending on luck.

Ehhhs.. Even DSLR users sometimes need some trial and error.

haha yeah i know.. but erm. sheesh i don't know how to explain myself here. that's why i say with all due respect. hah! i myself do trial and error to but prior to this topic, every way is welcomed just that i was indicating my preference :D

there are NO fixed solutions, every situation / location is different
but with experience you will know what to do in that situation / location

alrighty, point taken! thanks y'all for the advices :)

Status
Not open for further replies.