Question on Flash Trigger Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que Lynn

Jun 13, 2002
Singapore! :)
www.pbase.com
Hi all,

Got a question on flash trigger voltages. Does it affect the camera only when it's directly mounted on the hotshoe? Or does it also affect the camera when it's on a bracket and connected via the sync connector?

I guess my problem is I have an Achiever 260T, and I just saw on the "strobe volts" page that it goess above 200V, and I don't really want to fry my cam using it. So wondering if mounting it on a bracket (or an external hot shoe) and connecting via sync cord will help in preventing it from being fried.

Thanks for any help! :)

I've tested the Achiever 260T (I've got 3 of them) and they all read 4V or thereabouts. Have confirmed with Mpenza that he is the one who submitted the erroneous info to the Flash Trigger Voltage reference page.

But to answer your question directly - yes, using the PC sync cord will also fry your camera if the trigger voltage is too high.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I've tested the Achiever 260T (I've got 3 of them) and they all read 4V or thereabouts. Have confirmed with Mpenza that he is the one who submitted the erroneous info to the Flash Trigger Voltage reference page.

Hi, don't say it's erroneous leh. It's the actual voltage measured on the one (and only one) I had. It might be the particular one I had got some broken circuits inside the flash.

Originally posted by Que Lynn
Hi all,
<snipped>
So wondering if mounting it on a bracket (or an external hot shoe) and connecting via sync cord will help in preventing it from being fried.

Thanks for any help! :)

The 260T should be fine, in the case of strobes with high voltage triggering circuits the ONLY safe method of connecting them to modern cameras is to use an opto-isolated triggering circuit that uses the hotshoe or PC synch terminal.

hi all,

thanks for the replies. wish i knew how to test the trigger voltage of the achievers i have using common household tools. :p

but i guess, i'll have to keep it on the lightstands, rather than on my cam.

ian - that thing you're describing sounds expensive. :p and i'm not too sure anyone would understand me if i tried mentioning it at a camera shop. or maybe they would. hmmm....

Originally posted by StreetShooter
It's called a Wein safe-sync, or something like that.
CP has it. About a hundred plus.

:confused: gack!

at a hundred plus, i can buy another flash brand that i know will work well with my cam, and whose trigger voltage is abt 4 volts. pheww. the achievers will definitely stay on the lightstands.

thanks for the tip off though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.