Question on film reloading and reusing for SLRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Hedge

Mar 23, 2004
Singapore
www.thegaleria.com
I have a question here. Let's say I have a B + W film loaded in my SLR and I've shot 10 frames with it. For some reason, I need to take a picture in color (so I need to rewind and unload the B + W film; and load a new color film).

Is there a way I can rewind the B + W film.....and then at some point later, reload the same film into the camera and advance to Frame 11 w/o losing the 10 frames which I've shot earlier?

Thanks in advance.

if u have an SLR with a custom function to rewind the film (e.g. canon EOS 33/30/50 or better) with the film leader left sticking out, then it becomes simple. you just have to reload the film as usual when u want to re-use the half-finished roll of film, keep the body cap on (try not to have a lens attached to it), then go to a light-safe place, e.g. place the camera in a light-proof dark bag for removing film, then advance 10 frames manually, by just depressing the shutter. it would help if u have a remote control then u can have it sticking out of the bag.

but i don't have a light proof bag, so i use the storeroom in my house, which is almost completely dark though not totally, then i place the camera in a thick haversack and zip it up and have the remote control sticking out; then i set the camera to shutter priority, snap at the highest shutter speed, 1/2000s in the case of my camera, and fire away till the exact frame where i stopped.

but if u don't have an SLR with such a custom function, then the rewinding will send the leader right back into the film cassette. this makes things a bit more complicated because you must open the film cassette to extract the film leader. if u have a film picker (you can get one from ruby or CP, but it varies in price from $10 to $20 i think), you can just extract the leader easily i think; never tried it.

but if u do not have one, again you need a lightproof bag or, the makeshift solution i use (as above; works for me); then u open the film canister with a screwdriver or something sharp, prying it open, after which you can pull the roll of film out slowly, and you can try to feel around it for the leader (try not to touch the film surface and keep you fingers on the film sprocket holes), then when you've gotten hold of the film leader, you just have to turn and adjust the film until you can get the leader out of the slot at the edge of the cassette where film comes out. this part is...quite simple once you've opened the cassette; you just have to be careful not to touch the wrong parts of the film. after the film leader is out, just seal the cassette back.

the most important thing is to prevent light leaks. :)

so yeah, it's definitely possible to reuse film that's been shot halfway, but if u've got half a dozen rolls of half-used films with film leaders sticking out, it'd be hard to figure out how many exposures of each roll you've used. :D

hope this helps

so in reply to your question, yeah, there are many ways, but they're all quite troublesome unless u have a prosumer SLR that allows you to use custom functions

and if u have a manual SLR, even better. just don't rewind all the way. :)

Bring along a permanent marker in your bag so that you can record the date you rewinded it and the frame counter it is at on the film canister itself.

no need to remove lens lah.... :rolleyes: no need darkbag also.

set the shutter speed to the highest, set the aperture to the smallest. keep lens cap on. stick your lens into a dark area, like into a bag and advance to the last frame exposure plus one or two for good measure.

it's good to invest in a film picker. easier than using a dark bag or dark room to pull your film out. opening the film canister is destructive.

I'm using EOS3. EOS 3 has a feature that allows u to rewind with the film leader outside the film canister. So, I guess I just have to remember how many frames I shot....and just load the film as per normal.

Thanks a lot guys and gals. My first try with a film SLR :)

Bee Hedge said:
I have a question here. Let's say I have a B + W film loaded in my SLR and I've shot 10 frames with it. For some reason, I need to take a picture in color (so I need to rewind and unload the B + W film; and load a new color film).

Is there a way I can rewind the B + W film.....and then at some point later, reload the same film into the camera and advance to Frame 11 w/o losing the 10 frames which I've shot earlier?

Thanks in advance.

how about carrying 2 bodies???.......anyone used to do this???....hmmm....i used to carry 2 bodies if i'm shooting 2 different kind of films......be it b&w and colour or film and slide....or......etc.....

jesser said:
how about carrying 2 bodies???.......anyone used to do this???....hmmm....i used to carry 2 bodies if i'm shooting 2 different kind of films......be it b&w and colour or film and slide....or......etc.....

haha jesser sounds quite morbid.. carrying 2 bodies around..=)

Alternative which i plan to do is to carry by d30 for colour and my trusty old minolta for b&w. Of course, in the end, can also use the colour digital shots and convert to bw.=)

i dun tink its morbid to carry two bodies ard,,, i do it too....hhaa..

carry 2 body is a bit of juggling work. last time at one event i carried one backpack and one sling bag and 2x eos3+grip + 28-70L on one and 70-200/2.8L on the other and both got flash attached.. u will look like a dangling saucepan seller..lol

to be absolutely safe, when you reload the film add one to the counter in case you over lap your last frame, eg last shot at frame 16, forward film to frame 18, sacrifice empty frame 17 better than over frame 16.

I'm a cheapo, so didn't invest in a film picker. I don't change film that often anyway, so for me it's not worth spending $20 for something I only use in a blue moon.

I have an EOS 300, meaning there's no way to make the leader stick out automatically. Here are 2 methods I use when I change film:

(1) Open camera back just after the frame counter passes [1] and disappears (the EOS 300 uses a prewinding system, meaning it winds back into the canister after every shot). You can also somewhat hear just when the film leader disengages from the take-up spool. However, the risk here is you may expose your negatives if you open it at the wrong time.

OR (the safer method)

(2)

STEP 1: Cut a strip of thin cardboard (useless namecards are my favourites) that the width is about the size of the canister's mouth, and the length is more than the circumference of the canister. Paste a strip of double-sided tape along the WHOLE length (very important!) of the cardboard.

STEP 2: Rotate the plastic spool of the canister CCW direction (facing you) until you hear a slight click--the film leader just passing the canister's felt. THEN rotate the plastic spool another 1/2 to 3/4 round.

STEP 3: With the sticky side facing towards the core of the canister, push the cardboard into the canister. Once the tape catches onto the film, turn the plastic spool CCW direction. The cardboard strip will go along into the canister.

STEP 4: Turn the plastic spool until the cardboard strip refuses to go in anymore.

STEP 5: Then, slowly pull the cardboard out from the canister. If everything goes well, the film leader will come out with the cardboard. If not, try again.

I can demostrate 'live' if you need me to...just treat me to teh peng can already...

To reuse the film, load as normal, either cap your body (no lens attached--safer), or cap the lens. The thing being you don't want any lights to fall onto your already-exposed frames. Then trigger your shutter for the number of frames exposed, with 1 more for safety (most EOS cameras don't need this extra frame as the counter mechanism is extremely accurate).

Status
Not open for further replies.