question on f-stop/ aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am sooooo confused.

could someone clarify if a big f-stop means a small aperture eg. f/22, and vice-versa?

is there any way to calculate the estimated shutter speed if shooting in aperture priority? I for 1 don't really have steady hands as do most people.( too many blur pictures too mention :p)

tia!

Originally posted by kristlbel
i am sooooo confused.

could someone clarify if a big f-stop means a small aperture eg. f/22, and vice-versa?

is there any way to calculate the estimated shutter speed if shooting in aperture priority? I for 1 don't really have steady hands as do most people.( too many blur pictures too mention :p)

tia!

Basically the diameter of the aperture= focal length/f value.

Meaning a larger f value will give you a smaller diameter. So a bigger f value means a smaller aperture and vice versa.

http://www.mav-magazine.com/Apr2000/page25.html

Aperture means lens opening. Nowaday with new Auto SLR camera, we can't see the lens opening but with old manual camera, you can see the lens is opening or closing by turing the aperture ring.

If you want bigger lens opening(aka bigger aperture), you need to decrese your aperture value or F number. If you want smaller lens opening(aka smaller sperture), you need to increase your aperture value or F number.

So to conclude :

Bigger F number = smaller lens opening
Smaller F number = bigger lens opening

Hope this help.

Trivia:

1) f3.5 - Big or small aperture?

2) f16 - Big or small aperture?

Answer:

1) Big aperture opening (the common number of lens opening now), therefore small number

2) Small aperture opening , therefore big number..

works in opposite ways ;)

when they say f16... it simply means reciprocal of 16 = 1/16
f3.5 = 1/3.5

certainly 1/3.5 is bigger than 1/16

much clearer?

Status
Not open for further replies.