question on exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

919956g

I am using Canon EX550 Mount Flash.

some enquiries.

Question 1
I shoot in manual mode(for my 300Dcamera )
most of a time, I notice with the same manual setting on the camera
the exposure of the pix turn out different between a ZOOM IN and ZOOM out pix....I hav to always do compensation on the flash during zooming in and out.......is this normal.?

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/samitune/detail?.dir=288ascd&.dnm=8195scd.jpg&.src=ph

Question 2
In manual made (for camera), i notice with the same camera setting (e.g 1/200 speed and 13ftop)

Exposure of pix will also turn out very differently for outdoor and under shade(high ceiling of few story high but with no side walls).....whats suppose to be correct exposer outdoor turn out under expose under shade.

i tot exposure should not differ mush as the My MOUNT FLASH should be sensitive/smart enough to give a good exposure?

I am using Canon EX550 Mount Flash.

some enquiries.

Question 1
I shoot in manual mode(for my 300Dcamera )
most of a time, I notice with the same manual setting on the camera
the exposure of the pix turn out different between a ZOOM IN and ZOOM out pix....I hav to always do compensation on the flash during zooming in and out.......is this normal.?

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/samitune/detail?.dir=288ascd&.dnm=8195scd.jpg&.src=ph

Question 2
In manual made (for camera), i notice with the same camera setting (e.g 1/200 speed and 13ftop)

Exposure of pix will also turn out very differently for outdoor and under shade(high ceiling of few story high but with no side walls).....whats suppose to be correct exposer outdoor turn out under expose under shade.

i tot exposure should not differ mush as the My MOUNT FLASH should be sensitive/smart enough to give a good exposure?
1. could be in consistant TTL

2. your flash might be able to lit up your subject, but definitely not the whole background. and this is where flash photography skill comes in...

1. could be in consistant TTL

2. your flash might be able to lit up your subject, but definitely not the whole background. and this is where flash photography skill comes in...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am using
- 300D camera
- shootin in manual mode
- SPEED 1/200 and Fstop of 14
- ISO400
- canon lens 55-200mm
- CANON SPEEDLITE EX550 FLASH

1) i am using ETTL on EX550flash for exposure.....its suppose to gimme a good exposure whether zoom in or out rite.....but when zoom out its underexpose le.
see pix at below link

2)
My flash is not able to lit up your subject with the correct exposure(underexpose), not really concern of the background.If i do compensation on the550EX flash......exposure on the subject still varies when shooting in locations with different brightness....

My question is when correct exposure is set at one location, does it matter where when i change the location to a darker place? isnt the 550EX flash suppose to still give the RITE exposure?

How come it turn out draker?

were the 2 photos taken at the same distance?

the camera can only guess what you want to achieve. ultimately you have to understand how it works and use it to your advantage.

OT: you related to samiboy? ;p

were the 2 photos taken at the same distance?

the camera can only guess what you want to achieve. ultimately you have to understand how it works and use it to your advantage.

OT: you related to samiboy? ;p

1) YES ...its at the same distance......only zooming is different

2) Errr.... "understand how it works"......well .....thats wat i dont understand. Why is it behavin like whats stated above.

2) Errr.... "understand how it works"......well .....thats wat i dont understand. Why is it behavin like whats stated above.

Can't really anwer your question but can I suggest that you try spot metering it should solve your problem for those examples.;)

I'm guessing that the ETTL dose not want to blow the whites on the modles clothes when you zoomed out so it delivered less power? One way around this is to do a flash expsure lock on the models face first. I noticed canons flash system tends to underexpose my subjects when the sourroundings are refective or too white..

I'm guessing that the ETTL dose not want to blow the whites on the modles clothes when you zoomed out so it delivered less power? One way around this is to do a flash expsure lock on the models face first. I noticed canons flash system tends to underexpose my subjects when the sourroundings are refective or too white..

Yes Yes......rite.....thanks
most of these models i shoot in FHM competition is in white...thats why i need to compensate of the Flash during zoom in and out.....when i shoot the girl in blue it suddenly overexpose a little..now it make sense....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.