Question on electric toothbrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

I am planning to get an electric toothbrush. (want to get a ORAL-B/BRAUN toothbrush) I have been scouting around (WATSON'S, GUARDIAN, COURTS, etc.).

- Does anyone know where is the good place to buy this toothbrush?
- Any particular model to recommend?
- I saw the Professional Series by ORAL-B/BRAUN but they are expensive $100+. Do they make the difference as compared to the cheaper ones? (around $50)

Comments please. TIA. :)

1) Watsons? Guardian? Sorry those are the only 2 pharmacies I typically shop at.... :sweat:
2) Not very sure.
3) I think those few hundred dollars one comes with their own rechargable docks and batteries. Used to have a Colgate electric toothbrush, the battery died after a couple of times. Maybe u'll like rechargable batteries with that, I'm not sure.

Use a simple toothbrush. Want better ones? Use the Cross-action stuff.

Electric toothbrushes get damaged easily, especially by water. I used them before, and although they brush clean, why waste $$$ on something not durable?

Braun to me is good.
Using for more than 1 year maybe 2 and still brushing! :lovegrin:
Go for higher speed type with charger to "park" when not in use, worth it and always fully charge.
Battery type i can imagine you will throw it aside soon.
Imagine early morning need to brush and then? argh...need to change battery! :angry:

Watson's may have in store discount. I got the ~$30 ver, uses AA battery. So you can use rechargable (when you are not shooting =) ) or normal battery.

- Donno where to buy but I suppose the price is quite controlled.
- Once you go electric you wont want to go back to normal toothbrush (unless you're camping). The manufacturers recommend you change the brush every 1 month or so, but I change mine every 6 months and still get clean teeth.
- Forget about the multispeed ones. Only one speed matter: the fast speed mode. (unless you're old and you have sensitive gums).
- The battery seems to matter. Check the specs of the battery (usually on the base of the toothbrush), some of them uses NiCD I think, and if you're into gadgets, you know that NiCD is no good.
- By the way, I've been using Braun for the last 5-6 years and changed only once. That's becuase the first one ran out of battery after 4 years.

what is stopping me from switching is the use of the tooth-brush to scrape the plaque off yr tongue. you can do that with the good old-fashioned toothbrush but not the electric ones.
And I'm not use to those metal scrappers though.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the comments. Actually I would really want the Professional Series by ORAL-B/BRAUN but the price is SO prohibitive. :cry:

Well, looks like will have to settle for something less. :) Better than nothing though.

Canew said:
+evenstar, do you know why manual toothbrushes are better?

rotation type(battery): good for cleaning between tooth , back of the tooth and glum but take longer time to complete the whole cycle usually take 4~6min for a proper cleaning(make sure the battery is power enough if not not clean)

normal manual toothbrushes: you control the time taken for your cleaning so the cleaniness depend on you.

I use both, if urgently need to rush off then manual and got up early battery type.
bought at watson together with the extra head for exchange.

u can try those really cheap one first .. less than $15 each.
But u don get to change the bristle/battery operated

then invest for a expensive one ..
the expensive one comes with a cradle charger / enable u to change the bristle

+evenstar said:
Manual toothbrush is far better than electric toothbrushes, as said by most doctors..

Not sure about you, but I the first time I used an electric toothbrush I never went back to manual anymore. Except when I'm travelling in the jungle and I need something light. Then again, you dont have anywhere to brush your teeth in the jungle right?

+evenstar said:
Manual toothbrush is far better than electric toothbrushes, as said by most doctors..

Care to qualify your statement?

Most research have shown that electric toothbrushes, especially those with rotating heads, clean better than manual toothbrushes.

yeah...baed on what research that says that manual is better than electric...my dentist told me it makes not much of a difference..just that the electric ones make it easier to clean the hard to reach places.

Hmm...a recent feature in the ST says electric is much better simply coz the rotation speed is equal to many hundreds of times more than what we can typically do with a manual brush.

I do have a rechargeable Braun brush, but I find it a hassle having to store and charge the thing outside the bathroom. :D

huaiwei said:
I do have a rechargeable Braun brush, but I find it a hassle having to store and charge the thing outside the bathroom.

huaiwei, why do you have to store your electric toothbrush outside the bathroom? Charging it outside, I understand, but storing it outside??

Braun rechargeables are good. There are no metal contacts at the base (I always wonder how they charge through the plastic) but it still charges in the stand. Full charge can last quite long. Teeth feels cleaner after brushing. Fully water proof, you can get the whole thing wet and it still goes.
;)

Canew said:
huaiwei, why do you have to store your electric toothbrush outside the bathroom? Charging it outside, I understand, but storing it outside??
Coz the charger is a stand for the toothbrush mah?

Zplus said:
Braun rechargeables are good. There are no metal contacts at the base (I always wonder how they charge through the plastic) but it still charges in the stand. Full charge can last quite long. Teeth feels cleaner after brushing. Fully water proof, you can get the whole thing wet and it still goes.
;)
Yeah thats what I got...but you got a socket in the toilet meh? :D Waterproof also no use one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.