Question on developing/scanning/printing film

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelbrain

Oct 12, 2006
sorry if this sounds really amateur, but I've only just started going back to shooting film, and am just wondering when I send in my film to a lab only for developing + scanning, without printing; if I need to get a selection of pictures printed later on, should I:

1) Send the scanned digital images to a lab for printing
OR
2) Send in the negatives / slides in?

to get the best possible quality out of my prints? I've got a feeling the labs these days print from the digitally scanned image, rather than directly off the negs/slides these days..

would greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me on this...

thanks in advance!

Well... this depends on the scanned resolution of your scans.

If they are high-res, using scanned digital images to print is easy and convenient... and takes about 20mins (max). If you print 4R the quality from digital scans is enough.

If you want to print 8R or maybe poster-size use the negative - it may take longer but will be worth the wait. ;)

It depend on yourself.

If you want to do some PP, then scan your images and do PP. After that, send it for prints.
If you want it "natural" from the prints, then send the negatives for print.

It depend on yourself.

If you want to do some PP, then scan your images and do PP. After that, send it for prints.
If you want it "natural" from the prints, then send the negatives for print.

this might sound silly, but can I bring a bunch of negatives to the lab and just point out which ones I want printed? or do I have to print everything in that sheet of negatives?

this might sound silly, but can I bring a bunch of negatives to the lab and just point out which ones I want printed? or do I have to print everything in that sheet of negatives?
yes you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.