Question on cpl filter

newbrood

Deregistered
Feb 23, 2011
Is it advisable to put a circular polarizer filter on the lens at all times whenever u take photos?

Is it advisable to put a circular polarizer filter on the lens at all times whenever u take photos?

It's the same as asking whether it's okay to wear sun-glasses at all times. You only use a CPL when the need arise.

No. And if you read up online on CPL filters, how they work, the common usage and the limitations, you would understand why.

how much will be underexpose when adjusting to the lightest? Does it varies between different brands of cpl filter?

how much will be underexpose when adjusting to the lightest? Does it varies between different brands of cpl filter?
your camera has TTL metering, it will compensate automatically for the light lost.

the only downside is viewfinder a little darker, not to worry too much, you only lost 2 1/2 stops of light, you can always pump up your ISO to ultra high..... ;)

Thank you for the info. Does the question seems stupid to u all?

newbrood said:
Thank you for the info. Does the question seems stupid to u all?

Nope. Not stupid at all.

I just found the reply amusing that's all. No disrespect to you and all that.

your camera has TTL metering, it will compensate automatically for the light lost.

the only downside is viewfinder a little darker, not to worry too much, you only lost 2 1/2 stops of light, you can always pump up your ISO to ultra high..... ;)

Nope, not stupid.
But by asking this question, I assume that you might have no idea at all on what does a CPL filter does right?
Perhaps you should try reading some info online 1st before asking here.

Last but no least, not to worry, alot people here do that. =)

Actually I have some idea what cpl filter is use for, but wanna know whether ppl will leave it on the lens for general shot? Because I thought of leaving it on as a lens protector and as well as use it when I need it since there are ppl saying that it does not underexpose alot when adjust to the lightest.

Last edited:
Actually I have some idea what cpl filter is use for, but wanna know whether ppl will leave it on the lens for general shot? Because I thought of leaving it on as a lens protector and as well as use it when I need it since there are ppl saying that it does not underexpose alot when adjust to the lightest.
filter, as the name imply, it filters away the light.
and all filters will degrade the image quality more or less,
so we only use filters when it needed.

polarizing filter is only working on certain condition, so when there is no effects at all or you don't want to cut away the reflection, why use polarizing filter when it is useless?

beside, it filters away 2.5 stops of light, that is consider a lot, especially in low light situation why risk your self using a slower shutter speed, or make your flash work extra hard for noting?

not to forget it also make your viewfinder darker, if it is at outdoor, you still able to see clearly, if it is indoor, you may have hard time to compose your shots, your camera may have problem to do auto focus as well.

so, it is not advisable to leave CPL filter on at all time, all filters should be use only when necessary.

Last edited:
Ok understood, thanks for the clear explanation, appreciate it catchlights

Recently on my travel trip, I met a person in my tour group that always left it on since the day she got her camera a fews yrs ago. But I hope that you do understand that "polarized sunglasses" comes in useful most effectively on bright sunny days. Assuming outdoor conditions, On days with heavy overcasts, you may have trouble getting away with a CPL attached. Also, if ur lens does not have image stabilizing feature, you chance of getting away is even slimmer on such days.

It may be tempting to leave the CPL on at all times (due to laziness), but depending on how much time you are willing to spend and take a shot (and or with tripod), feel free to leave a CPL on.

btw, AFAIK A "normal" CPL would cause about 2-3 stops of light lost at the minimum. (at least for my Hoya HMC Slim CPL) and a CPL for a lens protector seems abit too pricey for me...a "reasonable" UV = >$50, CPL = ~$100> (assuming 77mm)

Last edited: