question on close-up +4

Status
Not open for further replies.

normanlai

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Hello guys, i wish to ask. if i wish to get a close-up filter/lens, is there a difference between fit like this

TELE | close up | camera

Close up | Tele | camera

will the min focus distance be different. Also, just to reduce the min focus distance, will a macro lens be better.

my purpose is to get a sharp focus with maximum zoom at min distance.

thanks.

yes there will be a difference, though I can't tell you now which will give you higher magnification or larger working distance. If you are really interested, you can just buy and test it out yourself.. :D

justarius said:
yes there will be a difference, though I can't tell you now which will give you higher magnification or larger working distance. If you are really interested, you can just buy and test it out yourself.. :D

thanks, but due to different diameter before and after TELE, i can't play with money like that.

i was thinking, is it count like this = camera min % (divide) 4 + tele min
IF i put the lens between TELE and camera.

actually i just look for simple answer, which can get me the shortest distance.

also, IF i looking to magnify the image, got any way? must have reasonable bokeh and NON soft (eg. reverse 50mm). i'm quality crazy.

thanks.

The actual formula is as follows:

magnification = focal length of camera lens / focal length of diopter
focal length of diopter = 1000 / diopter power

Are you using an SLR? If so you have lots more options to do macro photography. You can use extension tubes (gives higher magnification with short lenses), diopters (gives higher magnification with longer lenses), teleconvertors, reversing rings, bellows, etc.

If you are 'quality crazy', best quality of course comes from a dedicated macro lens, but if you are just trying out, getting a diopter first is a good move. Try to get the 2 element diopters from either Canon (500D) or Nikon (5T, 6T); the quality is much better.

NiVleK said:
Hmmm... do tele have threads? I recall that my old TCON17 doesnt have any filter threads.
Yeah I'm curious too on how you are going to put the +4 filter between the camera and the tele.

normanlai said:
Hello guys, i wish to ask. if i wish to get a close-up filter/lens, is there a difference between fit like this

TELE | close up | camera

Close up | Tele | camera

will the min focus distance be different. Also, just to reduce the min focus distance, will a macro lens be better.

my purpose is to get a sharp focus with maximum zoom at min distance.

thanks.

Huh ??? a closeup lens between a Camera and Tele lens? How on earth did you achieve that?

Anyway, if you put a close up lens infront of your tele-lens, the minimum focus distance will remain the same. However, if you use an extension tube between the camera and tele-lens, the minimum focus distance will change.

If you want to get maximum zoom at min distance, get an extension tube .... the distance will be ridiculously ..... short ;)

A Marco lens will be better, of course, they are designed to do that.

normanlai said:
thanks, but due to different diameter before and after TELE, i can't play with money like that.

i was thinking, is it count like this = camera min % (divide) 4 + tele min
IF i put the lens between TELE and camera.

actually i just look for simple answer, which can get me the shortest distance.

also, IF i looking to magnify the image, got any way? must have reasonable bokeh and NON soft (eg. reverse 50mm). i'm quality crazy.

thanks.

Quality Crazy? Get a Marco Lens. A Long Marco Lens, something like 200mm Marco Lens? ;) ...... outstanding bokeh and very sharp on the subject :D

justarius said:
The actual formula is as follows:

magnification = focal length of camera lens / focal length of diopter
focal length of diopter = 1000 / diopter power

Are you using an SLR? If so you have lots more options to do macro photography. You can use extension tubes (gives higher magnification with short lenses), diopters (gives higher magnification with longer lenses), teleconvertors, reversing rings, bellows, etc.

If you are 'quality crazy', best quality of course comes from a dedicated macro lens, but if you are just trying out, getting a diopter first is a good move. Try to get the 2 element diopters from either Canon (500D) or Nikon (5T, 6T); the quality is much better.

Buying a Nikon T's series is ok, but it is a +3 Dipoters (or rather +2.9) but a Canon 500D series .... hehehe ..... 2 pieces of it, the price is good enough to buy a third party Marco Lens ;). Moreover, it is just a +4 Dipoters ......

Get a Hoya "Macro Closeup Lens" :) +10 Dipoters ;) giving you 1:2 Magnification with Standard 50mm lens ......

ok.. but still how do you insert a closeup filter between tele-lens and the camera body :dunno: .. I thought the closeup filters can only be screwed on the lens.. :think:

I had read (not tried) different magnifications if you change the order of TC and the extension tube.. ie -

1) Lens - Extension tube - Teleconverter - camera body
2) Lens - Teleconverter - Extension tube - camera body

These two combinations will get you different magnifications.. I think our macro experts can certainly provide details on these comnbinations

Apparently, Normanlai is using a prosumer camera..

Yes, Camera -> closeup filter -> TC should work.HERE

Thanks Sgt. Pepper.. thats was a useful info.. I didnt think about the prosumer cams.. I assumed it to be a SLR.. unconscios bias..

I too thought he was using a digicam at first, but then he asked about reversing a 50mm lens, which lead me to think he was using an SLR... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.