question on aperture priority

dynamite

May 7, 2010
Hi everyone i m new in photography, just bought my first dslr not long ago and am very inexperienced.

I will be heading to tokyo and taipei next week for holidays and i would like to find out from u guys is it recommended to use manual and aperture priority setting for my trip?

As i m very new to this, my concern is that i might take too long trying to get the desired settings to take 1 photo. Hence i was thinking if using aperture priority just to control my depth of field would be recommended?

Thanks in advance! =)

if you are still not sure of using the dslr to get the desired photo quality, avoid the manual set up. there's always the program/auto mode. aperture settings are fine. bottomline is, it is a HOLIDAY. don't get spoiled by lousy photos. enjoy the trip and shoot as much as you can

good luck:)

that's very true thanks for the advice :)

just thought of capturing some nice shots since i m there. but of cos the experience itself is most impt.
i guess i will try to play around and learn as much as i can before i fly off. thanks again!

Papajango said it very well.

In the meantime, try taking lots of shots and practice using exposure compensation.

Also try P mode. :)

Shoot in RAW when there's the slightest doubt. It will give you more leeway during post processing, and that might save some valuable shots.

just thought of capturing some nice shots since i m there. but of cos the experience itself is most impt.
i guess i will try to play around and learn as much as i can before i fly off. thanks again!

Keep practising and shooting. Shoot similar scenes and get the hang of it.. :)

thanks guys for the encouragement! will do so n try to take as many as possible and learn at the same time :D

dynamite - i would suggest reading this up. you can learn alot in 10 mins of reading.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693149

Part 1: Fun and Easy Digital SLRs (basic introduction)
Part 2: Using camera features for better photos (this is probably what you are looking for).
Part 3: Choosing lenses for different kinds of photos
Terminology

thanks pokiemon! going to read up now yeah :)

dynamite - i would suggest reading this up. you can learn alot in 10 mins of reading.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693149

Part 1: Fun and Easy Digital SLRs (basic introduction)
Part 2: Using camera features for better photos (this is probably what you are looking for).
Part 3: Choosing lenses for different kinds of photos
Terminology

welcome:angel:

Papajango said it very well.

In the meantime, try taking lots of shots and practice using exposure compensation.

Also try P mode. :)

Shoot in RAW when there's the slightest doubt. It will give you more leeway during post processing, and that might save some valuable shots.

thank you and thanks for the tip;)

Keep practising and shooting. Shoot similar scenes and get the hang of it.. :)

that's the keypoint....practice till you get the hang of it, but make sure you can bear the weight of DSLR hanging on your neck long enough

I would recommend you to play with Av... it is not rocket science.

Simply put, what you need to do is
1. Set your aperture to the lowest f number that you lens support. Take a picture
2. Up f number to next value, take another picture
3. Follow the same up to your max f number. Normally for general lenses 22.

4. So you will end up with around 10 different photos (not 22, as it start at higher f number and jumps) of the same subject.

Compare them and understand what suits you best. keep that in mind and play while shooting. These 10 around pictures will give you all the hints that you need.

If confused, shot the same subject in different f number and keep the one you like, delete rest. does not cost you money.

Generally, very loosely, people and portraits will require lower f, whereas landscape will require higher f number (generally 5.6 and above)

Hope I have not confused you. As many said already, enjoy your trip and take as many pictures as you like.... some will definitely come out as great memory.

And finally, care to share the photos.

Happy Traveling;)

Hi everyone i m new in photography, just bought my first dslr not long ago and am very inexperienced.

I will be heading to tokyo and taipei next week for holidays and i would like to find out from u guys is it recommended to use manual and aperture priority setting for my trip?

As i m very new to this, my concern is that i might take too long trying to get the desired settings to take 1 photo. Hence i was thinking if using aperture priority just to control my depth of field would be recommended?

Thanks in advance! =)

Don't get so stressed by "what settings to use" that you become obsessed with that and miss out on your trip enjoyment. Just set to auto and shoot. You can always also shoot special scenes in RAW so you can edit and tweak when you get home.

If you have not practised with A, S or M mode before your holiday, then don't do it on your holiday..better to put to auto and shoot. Higher chance of getting good pics.

I remember traveling with an acquaintance to Tokyo many years ago when he first bought his 30D.

It was no fun AT ALL......

For the sake of the people traveling with you, maybe you can consider bringing along your PNS instead.

i suggest to use auto/P mode first during your trip
so you dont have to worry much on camera setting when taking pictures
goodluck

I'd say - don't just take lots of shots. There's no point in shooting a few thousand photos if you don't understand why the photos are coming out the way they are based on the way you shot them.

Take lots of shots, yes. But also study them a bit to see the difference in quality based on the mode/ style/ position etc etc. Simply just pressing the shutter multiple times will not help you improve your shooting. It just means you get lots of shots...

thanks everyone for all the pointers. they r indeed so true.

i will take note of it esp the part about the experience.

gotta make sure i don't get too obsessed with it that it affects my friends during the trip.

cheers! :)