Question on AF-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

mem0riess

Jan 23, 2009
North
Hi, I'm using Nikon D90.

I think most of you guys here used Aperture mode for Single Focus (etc, the focus thing very clear and with a blurry background)

I wanted to ask if, when you are on Manual mode, can i still Single Focus?

I tried on my D90, i change the auto focus to Single Focus in the menu, and i switched AF-A to AF-S in the control panel.
But when i shoot on the focus subject, some images turn out successful and some images turn out un-successful.

Example when i change back to my focus to dynamic area in the menu, and i switched AF-S to AF-A in the control panel,
some images turn out to be single focus.

May i know what is my problem?

ur problem is that u got everything wrg.

bokeh (the blurry backgrd) has nothing to do with AF-A or AF-S. pls go read up 1st abt all this, spend some time researching like all the lao jiaos here do

Last edited:
Hi, I'm using Nikon D90.

I think most of you guys here used Aperture mode for Single Focus (etc, the focus thing very clear and with a blurry background)

I tried on my D90, i change the auto focus to Single Focus in the menu, and i switched AF-A to AF-S in the control panel.
But when i shoot on the focus subject, some images turn out successful and some images turn out un-successful.

Example when i change back to my focus to dynamic area in the menu, and i switched AF-S to AF-A in the control panel,

May i know what is my problem?
Pls go read your D90 manual ;)

The lowest F-stop my lens can go is F/3.5 .
How do i really solve this? Can someone help me please..

Erm get a lens with a wider aperature? haha

Lemme attempt to assist you...

It's the wide aperture at work here.

Yes, you can certainly do so.

I think it has to do with your AF-area mode.

Maybe you're moving back and forth too much? Even if you point at the subject dead-on, then recompose the image in AF-Single mode, it still wouldn't be blur.

But, seriously, don't get ANY lens till you've mastered your existing combination. Be it flash compensation, ADR, AF-area or AF mode, just go tinker around or read the manual. Don't dabble into lenses yet, lest you buy the wrong ones :)

Happy Practicing!
gibss

Last edited:
Erm get a lens with a wider aperature? haha

But, seriously, don't get ANY lens till you've mastered your existing combination. Be it flash compensation, ADR, AF-area or AF mode, just go tinker around or read the manual. Don't dabble into lenses yet, lest you buy the wrong ones.

Happy Practicing!
gibss

I mean, can my kit len get the bokeh effect? If can, how do i get it?

I mean, can my kit len get the bokeh effect? If can, how do i get it?

Keyword: Distance

Clue: distance between your camera and your subject vs your subject's distance to its background

Last edited:
Ok, i say setting here, I place an object on my computer table, the background is at least 30m away from the object, and my camera is 2m away frm the object.
A-Mode, F/4.2

Is it something wrong with my settings?

Ok, i say setting here, I place an object on my computer table, the background is at least 30m away from the object, and my camera is 2m away frm the object.
A-Mode, F/4.2

Is it something wrong with my settings?

No... nothing wrong.
What is your focal length used?
Ideally, with the kit lens, to get the minimum depth of field, you should be in the longer focal lengths (>70mm or even up to 105mm) and the largest possible aperture at that focal length (ie. f/5.6).

If you can get f/4.2, I think your focal length should only be around 35mm

btw, you're starting too many threads, asking this and asking that.
I think you gotta focus on 1 thing at a time and learn it until it becomes second nature.

If you have a couple of hours, you should go somewhere nearby with your camera and manual, and read + experiment.
Not sure what AF-A is? Read the manual, then use it in the situation where you think it is necessary/beneficial.

Alright, i think i get what you mean there.

I need to be close or very close to the object. but does the f/stop really affect the bokeh? like f/stop between 4-5?

I think u should read the sticky by sulhan. There can give u some idea.

I need to be close or very close to the object. but does the f/stop really affect the bokeh? like f/stop between 4-5?

Why not you try it out for yourself to prove to yourself if it is correct or not?

Not that difficult to take 2 or 3 shots at 105mm, f/5.6, f/11 and f/16 to see the difference, right?

you have a DOF button try that to see the effect.

go google on the net to see pictures taken at 85mm F1.4 and 85mm F16 then you can see the difference.

No, because bokeh is a quality factor determined by more than just the aperture. With aperture you only control the Depth of Field - and therefore the area which is in focus. Focus on the basics first, bokeh is an endless discussion with lots of personal taste and with lots of money to spend on certain lenses.

I got the result, but when my camera is near or zoom is near the object.
Once my zoom or camera is not near the object, the bokeh effect will not come out. (A-Mode)

I got the result, but when my camera is near or zoom is near the object.
Once my zoom or camera is not near the object, the bokeh effect will not come out. (A-Mode)

aft all the posting by the lao jiaos here and u still dnt get it :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.