Question on 50mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Hi all

I was wondering if 50mm 1.4G lens is able to take full figure shots at aperture 3.5
and the figure will still be clear and sharp to edit.

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Lets just say i can focus right but after i zoom in 100% the face looks a tat blur, I was wondering if its the aperture problem or its natural

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Depends on how far away you are. I suggest reading a bit more on DOF, you'll learn how to calculate it properly.

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
Zantz said:
Hi all

I was wondering if 50mm 1.4G lens is able to take full figure shots at aperture 3.5
and the figure will still be clear and sharp to edit.
Zantz said:
Lets just say i can focus right but after i zoom in 100% the face looks a tat blur, I was wondering if its the aperture problem or its natural
If you can focus right, then the face wouldn't be blur, assuming you focused on the face.
I'm rather confused by what you're trying to ask.
Are you saying that you focus as sharp as possible on one point, but that point is not that sharp when viewed on PC magnified?

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
As in the the person is in focus and sharp on full figure but after i zoom in 100% the face looks soft i should say

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Yeah I am still using d60 with 50mm :(
you mean i can't get good sharp quality full figure shots?

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
As in the the person is in focus and sharp on full figure but after i zoom in 100% the face looks soft i should say
alot of details is loss i should say
Yeah I am still using d60 with 50mm :(
you mean i can't get good sharp quality full figure shots?
two things,

you shoot a full length shot and expect can see fine details on face? not a lot of camera can do that, try high end cameras.

each lens does have sweet spot, usually it will preform well from corner to corner at this aperture, when you not using the sweet spot, even your subject is in focus, it may sharper at the center of the images, but the outer parameter preform poorer.

blurry80

Jul 23, 2007
Toa Payoh
www.flickr.com
I seen some full figure samples from Leaf's medium format sensor. They can get the details you want. Prices for the cam starts at 30k.
Try stopping down to F5.6-1 you'll get the details. Anyway why not post the pic up here for all to see if you have any motion blurring.

Feb 6, 2006
Few things to consider..

1) The figure occupy how many percent space in the pic, if u r shooting the full model w/ lots of background captured in it, the model's face only occupy many percentage in the whole pic?

2) Which focusing sensor did you use, the cross type center focusing sensor or the corner non-cross type?

3) Did you focus & AF-lock to re-compose ur pic?

4) What is ur camera sensor resolution? The higher the megapixel the more details u can extract for post editing. (We are talking about DSLR, not compact)

Of course, like others had mentioned. Ur best bet will be MF if u are into details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom